PER-LHR On 787

Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
PER-LHR On 787

I have read all the press and media releases on how well this city pair and its connections on the AU end are performing so well. 92% loads etc over the past 12 months.

Irrespective of the spat with Perth airport why would QF not schedule a second service in this route? ( Do they still have the landing slots at LHR) or are things so bad with PER airport that they wont?

i would suspect a logical timing would be BNE based 787 departing BNE at say 8pm, PER at midnight arriving into LHR at lunchtime and then a LHR delarture late evening for a late evening arrival into PER and departure from PER with the overnight red eye to BNE to supplement the existing eveneing red eye on BNE-PER-BNE.

this would also connect with similar flights from MEL and SYD.

Is it as good as QF say or is it a media beat up?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Doubtful. QF already has the SIN route for passengers from elsewhere in Australia (plus oodles of codeshare flights on EK). Through yield management can easily prioritise ex-PER passengers to the PER-LHR nonstop if the demand is high, incentivising travellers from other cities to use other flights to get to Europe.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF sold their LHR slots (for a huge amount, GBP 30 million, so very profitable investment). Wouldn't be easy to get slots at the right time for another PER-LHR-PER flight. Easier to fly A380 for extra seats using the current slots, but that isn't their business model now
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
QF sold their LHR slots (for a huge amount, GBP 30 million, so very profitable investment). Wouldn't be easy to get slots at the right time for another PER-LHR-PER flight. Easier to fly A380 for extra seats using the current slots, but that isn't their business model now
Only if there was a A380NEO of some sort it would make sense. The new 777x will probably make it onto this route..
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If the load numbers are true that is great but adding a second departure would add quite a bit of capacity which would lead to lower prices, particularly for premium service, overall to fill both planes each way and/or cannibalize from other routes via the SIN route or EK codeshares. Up gauging to the 777X when it comes about seems worthy of consideration if loads stay steady.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
I would say that another non-stop flight from Australia (PER if necessary) to another European destination would make more sense. Some of those PER-LHR passengers are bound to be connecting to other destinations.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:55 am

MEL-LHR or MEL-FCO 😊
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:53 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
Did they? I thought two were leased to BA and are due to return this year? If they did I wouldn’t say 30 million was huge, given they bought 2 from flybe for 20 Million in 2004 and others have sold for more than that since 2008

https://centreforaviation.com/analys...t-again-108646

Last edited by markis10; Mar 28, 2019 at 6:01 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ButFli
I would say that another non-stop flight from Australia (PER if necessary) to another European destination would make more sense. Some of those PER-LHR passengers are bound to be connecting to other destinations.
From what I gather, something out of Perth is in their thinking as they build a case for the next tranche of 787s. The spat with Perth clouds that, so they may end up being deployed elsewhere on the network.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Should also be noted that the remaining 787 deliveries are pretty much matched to 747 retirements, so there isn't much scope for new routes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moa999
Should also be noted that the remaining 787 deliveries are pretty much matched to 747 retirements, so there isn't much scope for new routes.
To clarify, I was referring to the business case for the next firm order. So not the upcoming deliveries, but what they need in the next round. I understand they're thinking about what those 787s will do. Perth figures in that (and I guess the PR stunt about how well the route is performing fits into that).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
Originally Posted by ButFli
Completely agree with this.

Almost all of our friends who have flown PER-LHR have done so to ultimately connect to other European cities.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Could they travel to another airport in UK? I imagine that the 787 could have sufficient range to Gatwick. I don't know about the north of England or Scotland.

Last edited by weegraeme; Mar 31, 2019 at 6:54 am Reason: Didn't save properly
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mikalee
I have read all the press and media releases on how well this city pair and its connections on the AU end are performing so well. 92% loads etc over the past 12 months.
Is anyone not surprised by this? They've gone from 484 seats on the A380 to 236 seats on the 787. You'd think it would be hard for them not to have load factors in the 90s?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by weegraeme
Could they travel to another airport in UK? I imagine that the 787 could have sufficient range to Gatwick. I don't know about the north of England or Scotland.
Gatwick would be great as it makes it easier for a number of people to get to, but it would mean Qantas setting up a whole operation there for 1 flight. Also there aren't as many BA connecting flights but loads of no frills airlines that go to more obscure destinations!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.