PER-LHR On 787

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I think Madrid could work by sharing lounges with Iberia, good onward connections (with Iberia) and this part of the world has poor connections to Australia currently. You can’t get to many of the traditional asian hubs from Madrid/Lisbon, there are only expensive Qatar and Emirates flights via Middle East
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
MAD would make sense for connetions but that is rather well handled already with BA out of LHR. Getting to another population center, more central EU, would make sense as a second flight option. QF used to operate a FRA flight which seems to make more sense even without a connection partner unless they can/do sell seats with LH or other airlines from there. One of the big advantages to the nonstop from birth is avoiding connections for tourists but mainly for business travelers.

Originally Posted by email2markt
I think Madrid could work by sharing lounges with Iberia, good onward connections (with Iberia) and this part of the world has poor connections to Australia currently. You can’t get to many of the traditional asian hubs from Madrid/Lisbon, there are only expensive Qatar and Emirates flights via Middle East
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by email2markt
There are plenty of nonstop flights between Madrid and Asia (CX/KE/MU/CA/CZ/etc), and in any case an indirect via Middle East is much easier (lots more routes and more flight timings) than via Australia.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Is anyone not surprised by this? They've gone from 484 seats on the A380 to 236 seats on the 787. You'd think it would be hard for them not to have load factors in the 90s?
The 787 isn't the only option to LHR for MEL residents.

You've still got daily 330 and 380 to SIN which connect to QF1
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moa999
The 787 isn't the only option to LHR for MEL residents.

You've still got daily 330 and 380 to SIN which connect to QF1
But it's the MEL service that lost the A380 all the way through right? So not surprising the load factors are high with 200 less seats.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Loads are irrelevant. Anyone can fill an aircraft by adjusting ticket cost. What matters is PRASM and that is a closely-guarded secret. The business case for any service requires the latter analysis.

Beyond that, those new aircraft do not come cheap. The justification to either increase the number of new aircraft or to pilfer from other routes and frequencies is a comparison.

All coming to the question of how much greater the PER-LHR market could be versus other Australia-Europe routes which include a stop which might itself generate significant high-PRASM O&D traffic.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Often1
Loads are irrelevant. Anyone can fill an aircraft by adjusting ticket cost.
I would agree, in general. But QF is not known for heavily discounting tickets on the AU-London market. Fares are staying the same, but they've slashed 200 seats.
gobblercat likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF, KF, CX, HH, SL
I would agree, in general. But QF is not known for heavily discounting tickets on the AU-London market. Fares are staying the same, but they've slashed 200 seats.

Too right Qantas don't discount for this market.

We would have tried the PER-LHR direct, but the cost simply puts us off.

By flying J class with CX, so flying PER-HKG-LHR, we save almost 45% of what it would have cost us to do J class on PER-LHR. The Qantas J product is better than CX's, but not worth almost double the price.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by gobblercat
Too right Qantas don't discount for this market.

We would have tried the PER-LHR direct, but the cost simply puts us off.

By flying J class with CX, so flying PER-HKG-LHR, we save almost 45% of what it would have cost us to do J class on PER-LHR. The Qantas J product is better than CX's, but not worth almost double the price.
That is a massive price difference. How bout Qatar or Emirates out of Perth ?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aidan

That is a massive price difference. How bout Qatar or Emirates out of Perth ?
I waste my life online watching for discounted fares.

I randomly chanced upon a CX sale and we bought I class tickets, PER-HKG-LHR and then CDG-HKG-PER, for two adults and two children (both under the age of 12) for just over $18K (Australian dollars). We also get to stopover each way in Hong Kong, which for us helps break up the journey.

When I booked this fare almost five months ago, no other full service carrier could match this or even come close. From memory, I think Qantas and the gulf carriers were all priced around the $30k mark.
Aidan likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by gobblercat
I waste my life online watching for discounted fares.

I randomly chanced upon a CX sale and we bought I class tickets, PER-HKG-LHR and then CDG-HKG-PER, for two adults and two children (both under the age of 12) for just over $18K (Australian dollars). We also get to stopover each way in Hong Kong, which for us helps break up the journey.

When I booked this fare almost five months ago, no other full service carrier could match this or even come close. From memory, I think Qantas and the gulf carriers were all priced around the $30k mark.
I also spend too much time looking for flight deals. 18K is a good price.. Probably not much more than QF premium economy for the same route..
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:37 am

I would dispute the assertion that QF's J is better than CX. There is minimal difference in the hard product and the QF soft product is widely variable depending on the crew.
tallboy and levelnine like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:19 am

Yeah the Cathay A350 business looks
pretty schmick.
I haven’t been myself yet..
gobblercat likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:49 am

Yeah the Cathay A350 business looks
pretty schmick.
I haven’t been myself yet..
The J hard product in the A350 is good, but the soft product is lacking.

The biggest problem is the food - quality/choice and sometimes quantity even.
Aidan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, QF, VA
MEL-LHR or MEL-FCO 😊
I have heard a rumor that Qantas might announce a second daily PER-LHR later in the year.

Qantas is never going to resume flights to Rome though. If they fly anywhere else in Europe in the future, it will be CDG or FRA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.