Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Baggage collect at LAX for connecting to JFK flight 11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

We flew MEL-LAX-JFK in First last week. QF uses four carousels for baggage, one for the flight from MEL, SYD, and BNE. Then there is a fourth carousel for all bags on the MEL and LAX flight that are connecting to QF11 from LAX to JFK.

The question is WHY. I believe they are suppose to give priority to unloading those so people can make the onward connection to the JFK flight. But in our situation, the MEL, LAX, BNE flights (non-connecting) were completely unloaded while the connecting bags were still coming out. In our case - our FIrst Class tagged bags with Yellow First Priority - were the last 2 bags loaded on to the carousel from all flights..

The other passengers in First on the MEL flight who were terminating in LAX or connecting to other flights - had there bags way before.

The agent said they had no control as the LAX baggage handlers do what they want.

The point here - don't use a separate carousel for QF11 bags to JFK. QF likely has control of this process.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Did you make your connection to JFK on time?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
In our case - our FIrst Class tagged bags with Yellow First Priority - were the last 2 bags loaded on to the carousel from all flights..
This happened to me once upon return in SYD (yellow tagged bags in the last 10% of bags to come out)

The discussion with the Platinum One desk shared the cargo pallet load manifest and an "error" of my bags being placed in the wrong can. Nice for the transparency, I suppose.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Did you make your connection to JFK on time?
Yes - no issue with connection, and just had enough time to get a quick shower. Was hoping for a little more time in the F lounge - maybe a breakfast item after the shower - but too rushed with a 45 minute wait for my First checked baggage. With Global Entry - I was out immediately after getting bags. By the time we got to the lounge - the F lounge was full of people eating in the F restaurant.

With the strong winds - the flights are arriving up to 1 hour early. LAX won't allow you to open the door until 6am. MEL flight got in at 5:15pm and we waited at the gate for 45 minutes before the jetway could be moved over.

Yes, I understand LAX screws up and unloads as they see fit. My point is - QF decided to have the connecting bags to QF11 go on a separate carousel - but they did not do anything special. Point - QF just unload the bags to a carousel per flight.
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
LAX has been frustrating for baggage handling for many years now so I don't expect improvement in the future, but they also seem to get the job done (fewer lost bags and missed connections). I can only guess at QF's motivation for having a special carousel -- a precious resource at LAX -- but one that pops to mind is for handling a delayed connection. The F breakfast is quite good so you did miss a treat, but they do serve plentiful food on the next flight One thing I've noticed at many airports is that a particularly nice suitcase will be the last one out
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by cova

The point here - don't use a separate carousel for QF11 bags to JFK. QF likely has control of this process.
What is the purpose of this post except to rant?

We can’t help you here. You should write to QF direct to express your frustration and advocate for change.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

People use this media (not just to rant) but to point out an issue. Others may have experienced the same thing and also noted that the special carousel doesn't help. I do think airline people do read these posts. These posts would help to see if there is an issue - or I am just one off. You don't have to read the thread - as is pointed out all the time.

I did give my name etc. to the QF agent who was making announcements at baggage claim about the bags for transfers being on a different carousel (otherwise people would be looking at their flights carousel).

When she believed all the bags were out (and stopped making announcements), that is when I approached her, and said I likely need to file a claim. She specifically walked over to the transfer carousel with me (all other carousels had completed their unloads) . I do think she was surprised I did not have my bags. But then she noted a few more were coming out and finally mine did - but the last two from all three flights.

She did take my name etc, and I did express the 4th carousel was a waste - as it was the last of the 4 to start unloading in the first place. I don't expect to hear anything.back.

I guess I could write to the CEO, but what is the point. Other readers here can take note and not be surprised if they run into the same situation.
eminere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.