Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Can I check bags through if on two separate OW bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I’m flying from Canberra to SYD on Qantas then flying out of SYD to SIN on BA on 2 separate tickets. Any chance I’ll be able to check bags through to my final destination? Would save time in SYD waiting to collect them before having to transfer terminals.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dashed
I’m flying from Canberra to SYD on Qantas then flying out of SYD to SIN on BA on 2 separate tickets. Any chance I’ll be able to check bags through to my final destination? Would save time in SYD waiting to collect them before having to transfer terminals.
The official (and probably practical) answer is no. If someone does this for you, it would be an exception to policy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is one of your tickets an award ticket? This would be an allowed exception.
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Is one of your tickets an award ticket? This would be an allowed exception.
Worth politely asking at CBR, but unless 1 flight is award, policy is "no"
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hecked-baggage
(Go half way down the page)

Master QF thread--->QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

No award ticket unfortunately. Standard economy ticket transfering onto F ticket for the international leg.

Thanks for the responses - I did check with Qantas staff on the way out through SYD and they weren’t sure - but did tell us we couldn’t use the Qantas seamless transfer service as we’d have to go and collect our bags first :-(
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The QF bus leaves airside T3 gate 15
There is a free T2/T3 to T1 transfer bus.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
No award ticket unfortunately. Standard economy ticket transfering onto F ticket for the international leg.

Thanks for the responses - I did check with Qantas staff on the way out through SYD and they weren’t sure - but did tell us we couldn’t use the Qantas seamless transfer service as we’d have to go and collect our bags first :-(
This can be ticketed as a single ticket and it would've also cost you less since the CBR-SYD essentially would've been cheaper than buying it separately. This would've been easier and cheaper for you.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
So going off the above information...I might be able to through check my bags on the following itinerary ; Separate PNRs : BNE-SIN (QF revenue) <> SIN-DOH (QR AAdvantage award redemption) ?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kaiser_AU
So going off the above information...I might be able to through check my bags on the following itinerary ; Separate PNRs : BNE-SIN (QF revenue) <> SIN-DOH (QR AAdvantage award redemption) ?
From the master thread for a BA award on QF to a BA revenue.
Based on that you have a good chance. A print out the QF rules from the link to show QF may help.
Please let us know how it works out for assistance of others later.

Master thread---->QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This pdf attached was printed/downloaded 19 Nov 2016. It has the award - revenue exception. The current web site has this exception described better.

The BA part of "QF Award -> BA Revenue" may be an issue. Some at QF may think its only QF to QF, but the policy states Oneworld
This did the job perfectly! BA Avios redemption on QF BNE-SYD, connecting onto revenue BA SYD-LHR-OSL. They weren't sure at first, then showed the website, still unsure then showed this and they were much happier! Called over their supervisor to check (who was totally up to speed re the exemption for mixed reward/revenue) and bag duly checked the whole way through to OSL ^ Many thanks to the posters on this thread, saves me having to collect and recheck in SYD and can go straight to connecting bus, giving me more time in the QF First Lounge
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the master thread for a BA award on QF to a BA revenue.
Based on that you have a good chance. A print out the QF rules from the link to show QF may help.
Please let us know how it works out for assistance of others later.

Master thread---->QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
Thanks. I can't see QR listed as a participating airline in the IATCI list which may be an issue. Will update on my success at the airport/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.