Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary downgrade to economy.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Involuntary downgrade to economy.

Booked business on domestic flight. Since it was oversold, they chose us to downgrade to coach. Reason given was our ticket was on points whereas cash tickets have priority. Compensation was to refund our points but keep us on same flight in coach. It's a 4.5 flight syd to drw. Is that fair compensation?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by skiwindham
Booked business on domestic flight. Since it was oversold, they chose us to downgrade to coach. Reason given was our ticket was on points whereas cash tickets have priority. Compensation was to refund our points but keep us on same flight in coach. It's a 4.5 flight syd to drw. Is that fair compensation?
If I understood correctly that they refunded all your points, then you've effectively been given a free economy class flight SYD-DRW at your preferred time. Only you know how much you value class of travel, but for me, I'd be happy with that.
shillard, nancypants and ButFli like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A refund of the points spent for the flight seems more than fair - giving a free flight seems quite generous
If the refund was a refund of points between cost of eonomy and cost of business class, then it has met its obligations
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the refund was a refund of points between cost of eonomy and cost of business class, then it has met its obligations
I disagree. The obligation was for QF to get the OP from DRW to SYD in J. Failing to fulfill this obligation should lead to compensation. If the difference in points was refunded then the OP would have received no compensation at all. The currency used for this ticket is irrelevant. Appropriate compensations could have been a J class flight the next day (with QF paying for accomodation), the cash difference between the business and economy booking classes, vouchers etc. etc.
Spiff and dtm1 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i would just chill. sh*t happens in life. u got there for free and points refunded. its good outcome. u r better off spending your mind on other productive stuffs
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I disagree. The obligation was for QF to get the OP from DRW to SYD in J. Failing to fulfill this obligation should lead to compensation. If the difference in points was refunded then the OP would have received no compensation at all. The currency used for this ticket is irrelevant. Appropriate compensations could have been a J class flight the next day (with QF paying for accomodation), the cash difference between the business and economy booking classes, vouchers etc. etc.

If the airline refunded the difference , it met its obligations as far as any required compensation. If this was in Europe, where there are regulations covering specific compensation, then the airline would have been required to reimburse 50% for a flight of that distance - which is what the passenger got in this case

If the passenger chose not to travel, the passenger would have been entitled to a full refund , but once agreed to travel in economy class , then all that it is required to do is refund the difference

All sotts of things could have been offeered, but none is required. If the person didn't want to fly in economy but would rather rebook, then that might well have been offered. I doubt that hotel would be offered since it wasn't required, just desired

Whether Qantas would agree to offer compensation above the minimum requirements would be between the airline and customer relations

If however, as suggested by the OP, that he received a full refund, then I can't see that there is much to complain about - he got a free flight
nancypants and fakecd like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Interesting that you were told you were selected because you were travelling on points. Does Qantas have a policy of valuing those travelling on points less than those paying cash? The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago I redeemed via BA a couple of J seats BNE to MEL. We had 2A and 2C, yet when the meal service came round we were the last to be served. The crew did make a point of saying after serving 2D/F that she'd serve us in a moment and would we like our drinks topped up in the mean time before going to serve row 3. There was one less meal option when she got back to us. It was no biggie, but I felt as if I was travelling as staff, which I've done as friend of mine works at QF, but it's been 2+ years since I used that benefit. Perhaps everyone else was status, but it did make me feel singled out because we were traveling on an award ticket. I guess reading the OPs tale, we should have been glad the flight wasn't overbooked completely.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@dddc do you have status? In my case in QF J as an emerald on a BA award, I was still asked for first choice above all other passengers.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by sxc
@dddc do you have status? In my case in QF J as an emerald on a BA award, I was still asked for first choice above all other passengers.
No status anymore. Just a large number of points with a couple of FF schemes burning a hole in my digital wallet.

But as I said, it wouldn't surprise me that everyone else in the J cabin did have status with QF as it's a small cabin of only 12 seats.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:40 pm

Seems fairly reasonable to me
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
That SYD DRW SYD flight is hell in a 737 - esp in Y arghhh.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
That SYD DRW SYD flight is hell in a 737 - esp in Y arghhh.
Wow - thinking of the 707s that used to do the Kangaroo route - no different to the 737s now (in terms of cabin width). I'd love to know how much knee room there was in those beasts. When I was on those planes, knee room was absolutely no issue.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: QF Bronze
Originally Posted by dddc
Interesting that you were told you were selected because you were travelling on points. Does Qantas have a policy of valuing those travelling on points less than those paying cash? The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago I redeemed via BA a couple of J seats BNE to MEL. We had 2A and 2C, yet when the meal service came round we were the last to be served. The crew did make a point of saying after serving 2D/F that she'd serve us in a moment and would we like our drinks topped up in the mean time before going to serve row 3. There was one less meal option when she got back to us. It was no biggie, but I felt as if I was travelling as staff, which I've done as friend of mine works at QF, but it's been 2+ years since I used that benefit. Perhaps everyone else was status, but it did make me feel singled out because we were traveling on an award ticket. I guess reading the OPs tale, we should have been glad the flight wasn't overbooked completely.
That’s happened to me on a SYDBNE I upgraded on points. I used to be QF staff and we were ignored on this particular flight by the old CSM who would have started at TN as I saw her start date on her ID. Or maybe she started at QF longhaul and now does short haul. She just chatted with the pair across the aisle and we were on descent before we got lunch. Poor service. I just use my points now on other airlines now. Won’t fly QF.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 744

That’s happened to me on a SYDBNE I upgraded on points. I used to be QF staff and we were ignored on this particular flight by the old CSM who would have started at TN as I saw her start date on her ID. Or maybe she started at QF longhaul and now does short haul. She just chatted with the pair across the aisle and we were on descent before we got lunch. Poor service. I just use my points now on other airlines now. Won’t fly QF.
Interesting to hear. Would she have been able to tell you were ex-QF staff? I'm pretty sure there's no reason for my booking to have shown any link to having done staff travel (as a +1, not actual staff) unless QF have started a CRM and is tracking on other data like phone number. Even then, my points were hard earned and as a leisure traveler I'd still expect the same level as service as a business traveller. I could direct my spending and flying into other routes. As a non status passenger I only had row 3 available to us before check in opened and when it did, row 2 was available so I moved us. It may have been better if QF had not let us move and kept us in row 3 so that the service difference wouldn't have been so obvious.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:10 am

Surprised at the lack of comradeship for ex QF staff. I thought it would be all fun and high fives !
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.