Involuntary downgrade to economy.

Old Mar 19, 19, 4:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 136
Involuntary downgrade to economy.

Booked business on domestic flight. Since it was oversold, they chose us to downgrade to coach. Reason given was our ticket was on points whereas cash tickets have priority. Compensation was to refund our points but keep us on same flight in coach. It's a 4.5 flight syd to drw. Is that fair compensation?
skiwindham is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 10:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 1,375
Originally Posted by skiwindham View Post
Booked business on domestic flight. Since it was oversold, they chose us to downgrade to coach. Reason given was our ticket was on points whereas cash tickets have priority. Compensation was to refund our points but keep us on same flight in coach. It's a 4.5 flight syd to drw. Is that fair compensation?
If I understood correctly that they refunded all your points, then you've effectively been given a free economy class flight SYD-DRW at your preferred time. Only you know how much you value class of travel, but for me, I'd be happy with that.
shillard, nancypants and ButFli like this.
jridge is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 11:03 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,086
A refund of the points spent for the flight seems more than fair - giving a free flight seems quite generous
If the refund was a refund of points between cost of eonomy and cost of business class, then it has met its obligations
trooper and nancypants like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:30 am
  #4  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,961
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If the refund was a refund of points between cost of eonomy and cost of business class, then it has met its obligations
I disagree. The obligation was for QF to get the OP from DRW to SYD in J. Failing to fulfill this obligation should lead to compensation. If the difference in points was refunded then the OP would have received no compensation at all. The currency used for this ticket is irrelevant. Appropriate compensations could have been a J class flight the next day (with QF paying for accomodation), the cash difference between the business and economy booking classes, vouchers etc. etc.
Spiff likes this.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: HK
Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Posts: 2,728
i would just chill. sh*t happens in life. u got there for free and points refunded. its good outcome. u r better off spending your mind on other productive stuffs
nancypants likes this.
fakecd is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:48 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,086
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
I disagree. The obligation was for QF to get the OP from DRW to SYD in J. Failing to fulfill this obligation should lead to compensation. If the difference in points was refunded then the OP would have received no compensation at all. The currency used for this ticket is irrelevant. Appropriate compensations could have been a J class flight the next day (with QF paying for accomodation), the cash difference between the business and economy booking classes, vouchers etc. etc.

If the airline refunded the difference , it met its obligations as far as any required compensation. If this was in Europe, where there are regulations covering specific compensation, then the airline would have been required to reimburse 50% for a flight of that distance - which is what the passenger got in this case

If the passenger chose not to travel, the passenger would have been entitled to a full refund , but once agreed to travel in economy class , then all that it is required to do is refund the difference

All sotts of things could have been offeered, but none is required. If the person didn't want to fly in economy but would rather rebook, then that might well have been offered. I doubt that hotel would be offered since it wasn't required, just desired

Whether Qantas would agree to offer compensation above the minimum requirements would be between the airline and customer relations


If however, as suggested by the OP, that he received a full refund, then I can't see that there is much to complain about - he got a free flight
nancypants and fakecd like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK. BAEC AAdvantage
Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Posts: 3,275
Interesting that you were told you were selected because you were travelling on points. Does Qantas have a policy of valuing those travelling on points less than those paying cash? The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago I redeemed via BA a couple of J seats BNE to MEL. We had 2A and 2C, yet when the meal service came round we were the last to be served. The crew did make a point of saying after serving 2D/F that she'd serve us in a moment and would we like our drinks topped up in the mean time before going to serve row 3. There was one less meal option when she got back to us. It was no biggie, but I felt as if I was travelling as staff, which I've done as friend of mine works at QF, but it's been 2+ years since I used that benefit. Perhaps everyone else was status, but it did make me feel singled out because we were traveling on an award ticket. I guess reading the OPs tale, we should have been glad the flight wasn't overbooked completely.
dddc is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 6:03 pm
  #8  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 9,768
@dddc do you have status? In my case in QF J as an emerald on a BA award, I was still asked for first choice above all other passengers.
sxc is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK. BAEC AAdvantage
Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Posts: 3,275
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
@dddc do you have status? In my case in QF J as an emerald on a BA award, I was still asked for first choice above all other passengers.
No status anymore. Just a large number of points with a couple of FF schemes burning a hole in my digital wallet.

But as I said, it wouldn't surprise me that everyone else in the J cabin did have status with QF as it's a small cabin of only 12 seats.
dddc is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:40 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,549
Seems fairly reasonable to me
SQTraveller is offline  
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:08 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SYD
Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Posts: 1,759
That SYD DRW SYD flight is hell in a 737 - esp in Y arghhh.
Cedar Jet is offline  
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:42 am
  #12  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 12,796
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet View Post
That SYD DRW SYD flight is hell in a 737 - esp in Y arghhh.
Wow - thinking of the 707s that used to do the Kangaroo route - no different to the 737s now (in terms of cabin width). I'd love to know how much knee room there was in those beasts. When I was on those planes, knee room was absolutely no issue.
og is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:24 am
  #13  
744
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Programs: QF Bronze
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Interesting that you were told you were selected because you were travelling on points. Does Qantas have a policy of valuing those travelling on points less than those paying cash? The reason I ask is because a couple of weeks ago I redeemed via BA a couple of J seats BNE to MEL. We had 2A and 2C, yet when the meal service came round we were the last to be served. The crew did make a point of saying after serving 2D/F that she'd serve us in a moment and would we like our drinks topped up in the mean time before going to serve row 3. There was one less meal option when she got back to us. It was no biggie, but I felt as if I was travelling as staff, which I've done as friend of mine works at QF, but it's been 2+ years since I used that benefit. Perhaps everyone else was status, but it did make me feel singled out because we were traveling on an award ticket. I guess reading the OPs tale, we should have been glad the flight wasn't overbooked completely.
Thatís happened to me on a SYDBNE I upgraded on points. I used to be QF staff and we were ignored on this particular flight by the old CSM who would have started at TN as I saw her start date on her ID. Or maybe she started at QF longhaul and now does short haul. She just chatted with the pair across the aisle and we were on descent before we got lunch. Poor service. I just use my points now on other airlines now. Wonít fly QF.
744 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK. BAEC AAdvantage
Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Posts: 3,275
Originally Posted by 744 View Post


Thatís happened to me on a SYDBNE I upgraded on points. I used to be QF staff and we were ignored on this particular flight by the old CSM who would have started at TN as I saw her start date on her ID. Or maybe she started at QF longhaul and now does short haul. She just chatted with the pair across the aisle and we were on descent before we got lunch. Poor service. I just use my points now on other airlines now. Wonít fly QF.
Interesting to hear. Would she have been able to tell you were ex-QF staff? I'm pretty sure there's no reason for my booking to have shown any link to having done staff travel (as a +1, not actual staff) unless QF have started a CRM and is tracking on other data like phone number. Even then, my points were hard earned and as a leisure traveler I'd still expect the same level as service as a business traveller. I could direct my spending and flying into other routes. As a non status passenger I only had row 3 available to us before check in opened and when it did, row 2 was available so I moved us. It may have been better if QF had not let us move and kept us in row 3 so that the service difference wouldn't have been so obvious.
dddc is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 5:10 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 177
Surprised at the lack of comradeship for ex QF staff. I thought it would be all fun and high fives !
nancypants likes this.
Aidan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread