Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary downgrade to economy.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:11 am

Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but after doing a quick search, I felt like this was the most recent thread that fits with my situation... somewhat.

I am a long time lurker, with a post here and there, so didn't want to create a whole new post for something that has probably been discussed and answered. Ill keep this brief.

Wife and I are bronze QFF.
I booked ourselves J one way award tickets MEL - SYD on an A330 Friday evening 18th Oct (QF464).
Mechanical issues ensued, and eventually QF464 was cancelled.
We were in J lounge and were one of the first 'served' at the counter to arrange alternative flights.
We were informed that there were no more J seats left for that night, and that they could accomodate us in a Y seats.
We agreed, and the staff member said we need to contact 'Qantas customer care' to organise point difference refund. She said she would leave notes on the booking to confirm the change on the night,
We got issued new paper boarding pass slips, and got up to Sydney. Excellent.

21st Oct - I used the online platform, Qantas Customer Care page, and lodged a 'complaint' - There was no option to select 'refund on involuntary downgrade'. I explained in detail what occurred, and was given a case number and told that Qantas would do their best to respond within 2 business days. I heard nothing back. 28th Oct I responded to the automated acknowledgement email asking for an update. I even sent through copies of the Y boarding passes, and the copy of the original email e ticket confirmation. To this day I have not heard back.

As I frequent these forums as a lurker, I had learned that it is advisable to contacted [email protected]
I did that on 6 Nov. I got an automated response with a reference number later that night.
I am an impatient person at the best of times, and feel like my 'issue' will be shelved due to my lack of status.

Am I being impatient? (my wife says YES)
Should I wait for Qantas to eventually come back to me?
I have done some basic sums, and feel like these 'points' shouldn't be written off.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I'd give them a couple more days now you have emailed, I find email usually gets a response other than automated, I also find I almost always HAVE to email them to correct problems.
shillard likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:44 pm

Thanks VH-RMD.
Qantas Customer Care got back to me at 12.41am 9 Nov.
Points have been refunded.
I need to be more patient.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:44 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
To answer a few things in this thread:

Downgrade priority is related to fare basis and then status e.g. a A WP in U class will be downgraded prior to a NB on J,C,D or I. Or a NB in U will be downgraded prior to a SC etc etc.

Customer Care responds to emails and feedback in order of status.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
It's probably just Qantas arrogance.

I travelled PER to BNE on an award flight in J. I was travelling with my mum. She moves slowly and with difficulty, so we were boarded early. The Cabin Service Manager told my mum he could see she was travelling with a toy boy. When it was time to order my meal, I was told they were out of my selection, and that if I wanted to be guaranteed a particular meal, I should sit in row 1. I really felt that as far as they were concerned, I should just be grateful they let me on the aircraft.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme
It's probably just Qantas arrogance.

I travelled PER to BNE on an award flight in J. I was travelling with my mum. She moves slowly and with difficulty, so we were boarded early. The Cabin Service Manager told my mum he could see she was travelling with a toy boy. When it was time to order my meal, I was told they were out of my selection, and that if I wanted to be guaranteed a particular meal, I should sit in row 1. I really felt that as far as they were concerned, I should just be grateful they let me on the aircraft.
From my short experience, long haul points J (seats 2E & 2F as Bronze) on Qantas vs cash J on Qatar long haul could be more of a contrast.

Not sure if it was because I used points or that this was just the Qantas service style but some of the crew was
a bit mixed in professionalism.

Qatar made me feel like a king and were very accomodating. Also had such lovely chats with some of the staff that I was sad when the flight was ending and wanted to stay longer. That was a first for me.

Would like to hear more from others more experienced that if points redemptions gives you a different level of service.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by Aidan
From my short experience, long haul points J (seats 2E & 2F as Bronze) on Qantas vs cash J on Qatar long haul could be more of a contrast.

Not sure if it was because I used points or that this was just the Qantas service style but some of the crew was
a bit mixed in professionalism.

Qatar made me feel like a king and were very accomodating. Also had such lovely chats with some of the staff that I was sad when the flight was ending and wanted to stay longer. That was a first for me.

Would like to hear more from others more experienced that if points redemptions gives you a different level of service.
Ironically, my QF flight was an onward flight from a Qatar flight. I flew Qatar from Edinburgh to Doha in J and Doha to Perth in F. (The fact that I was on the latter flight was amazing as it was an award flight and I'm QF Bronze, too.) I agree with you that Qatar make you feel very special.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: QF WP
None of my points redemptions or points upgrades have given me worse service. In fact the worst J service I’ve ever had was on a fully paid cash ticket. These are all domestic though and the straight up pure points redemptions were operated by Cobham if it makes a difference
Aidan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.