Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar- 24 hour Mistake Policy - Help

Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, AB Gold, Hilton Honours Gold

Hi all, was hoping to get some help with this

My father has booked flights from Queenstown to Avalon (Instead of Tullamarine)
The flights he has booked are about $100+ more than the direct flights to Tullamarine.

I was hoping to cancel the flights under the 24 Hour grace/ mistake policy to get a full refund and book the cheaper direct flights to Tullamarine instead.

I called Jetstar and they are refusing to offer a full refund or travel credit to allow me to book the new flights however they are offering a waiver to change the destination.

"What we can assist you under our 24 customer error policy is to change the flight on the correct date. Well be happy to waive the change fee but you still need to pay the fare difference."

"If the fare is cheaper than the one he has booked, you dont need to pay any fare difference but were unable to assist with the refund of the difference."

"While I understand that your dads mistakenly booked this flight, please know that our 24 customer error does not support a refund of the booking."

Can anyone please clarify?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JQ seem to have given you the options/answers.
The buyers error.
The cheapest option may by just fly ZQN-SYD-AVV as booked.

https://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/terms-and-conditions
https://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/help/tags/fare-rules
https://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/help/a...es-and-charges
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: QFF WP (LTG), VA SG
This policy is also the same as the generally more lenient and accomodating Qantas. Their "Same day no mistakes" allows you to change the fare / destination without a change fee, but you have to pay fare difference.
I once begged-and-pleaded with them to allow refund on a flight which I could have booked cheaper a different way, but they wouldn't help.

You also could also be confusing this policy with the 24-hour cancellation policy for all flights originating the US. The US DOT requires all airlines provide a full refund of any fare booked within 24 hours, should the purchaser wish. This policy also applies to JQ and QF fares originating in the US (but not for travel to the US)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: QF WP
Out of interest what happens if you add a max bundle and then try to cancel?

although that way I suspect youd be paying more than $100 for the purpose of getting $100 back
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: QFF WP (LTG), VA SG
Yes, you could upgrade the fares to a Max bundle (but you'd have to pay a change fee). However, recent changes mean Jetstar's Max bundles now do not allow cash refunds - you can cancel and receive a credit voucher, however.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This does not seem like a mistake in the booking process ( such as selecting 10 march instead of 10 Feb ) but a booking which was deliberately made but has found something better

This seems like buyer's remorse rather than a mistale ; Jetstar seems to be being reasonable in offering to move to the non stop flight without change fees
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This does not seem like a mistake in the booking process ( such as selecting 10 march instead of 10 Feb ) but a booking which was deliberately made but has found something better

This seems like buyer's remorse rather than a mistale ; Jetstar seems to be being reasonable in offering to move to the non stop flight without change fees
Easy mistake to make for the uninitiated - selecting Melbourne (Avalon) instead of Melbourne (Tullamarine) as your destination. Very easy. I don't think this is a case of buyer's remorse.

I would accept the change in destination free of charge (much more pleasant to go direct to MEL instead of via SYD to AVV), and as they won't offer refund I would ask if I could beef up the lower fare with extra fees (luggage, meals etc) to make up the difference. Not sure if that would work though, but worth a try!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Easy mistake to make for the uninitiated - selecting Melbourne (Avalon) instead of Melbourne (Tullamarine) as your destination. Very easy. I don't think this is a case of buyer's remorse.

I would accept the change in destination free of charge (much more pleasant to go direct to MEL instead of via SYD to AVV), and as they won't offer refund I would ask if I could beef up the lower fare with extra fees (luggage, meals etc) to make up the difference. Not sure if that would work though, but worth a try!
You would have to mistakenly select Avalon and then continue with booking 2 connecting service rather than a non stop service. It seems more than just a simple misclick type mistake, but that there was no error in selecting the flights but that better options were found later. A simple error in processing a booking would not lead to booking 2 sectors instead of 1 and paying $100 extra. I suspect that the poor choice in flights was just something discovered by OP after the passenger made the booking
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:39 pm

You would have to mistakenly select Avalon and then continue with booking 2 connecting service rather than a non stop service. It seems more than just a simple misclick type mistake, but that there was no error in selecting the flights but that better options were found later. A simple error in processing a booking would not lead to booking 2 sectors instead of 1 and paying $100 extra. I suspect that the poor choice in flights was just something discovered by OP after the passenger made the booking
You obviously don't know or haven't dealt with people who struggle a bit with internet "stuff". I can see exactly how it happened. Father went on booked the flights from the options that came up .. which doesn't include the non stops when you select Melbourne (Avalon), which is the first on the list of the two Melbourne options. Son or Daughter sees it and flips out wanting to know why on earth father picked a two hop journey via Sydney landing way out in Avalon. Very easy mistake for a beginner to make.

But if you want to think the worst of people, then you are of course free to do so.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 pm

You obviously don't know or haven't dealt with people who struggle a bit with internet "stuff". I can see exactly how it happened. Father went on booked the flights from the options that came up .. which doesn't include the non stops when you select Melbourne (Avalon), which is the first on the list of the two Melbourne options. Son or Daughter sees it and flips out wanting to know why on earth father picked a two hop journey via Sydney landing way out in Avalon. Very easy mistake for a beginner to make.

But if you want to think the worst of people, then you are of course free to do so.
That is no different to going onto any other site and purchasing the wrong thing - there is no entitlement to any refund etc for someone who changes their mind - this is a change of mind rather than a misclick; Based on your own description it wasn't a mistake, the person purchased what he meant to purchase , just that someone else then informed the person that there was something better that could have been purchased

I cannot see how that is an accidental error in purchase rather than just an unwanted purchase

I am not thinking the best or worst of someone - just do not see it anything other than a change of mind
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:02 pm

I cannot see how that is an accidental error in purchase rather than just an unwanted purchase

I am not thinking the best or worst of someone - just do not see it anything other than a change of mind
Jetstar obviously accept the mistake, with a fee free change (but not refunding the difference, which is fair I think). If they saw it simply as buyers remorse or unwanted purchase they could have been intransigent and charged a change fee as well. I think they've taken the reasonable course of action.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If airlines in Oz mirrored the US approach of free cancel <24 hrs after the booking, it would be a marketing advantage and show a degree of empathy which is sometimes lacking on FT.
eminere and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by og
If airlines in Oz mirrored the US approach of “free cancel” <24 hrs after the booking, it would be a marketing advantage and show a degree of empathy which is sometimes lacking on FT.
How would it be a marketing advantage if all airlines were obligated to provide such a feature. If everyone has it, then there is no marketing advantage

I don't see that Jetstar is being at all unreasonable in its position - by offering to make the change with no fee but no refund, it seems me to be very reasonable and much more than it is required to do

Jetstar obviously accept the mistake, with a fee free change (but not refunding the difference, which is fair I think). If they saw it simply as buyers remorse or unwanted purchase they could have been intransigent and charged a change fee as well. I think they've taken the reasonable course of action.
Reading the quoted from Jetstar quoted, it suggests to me that a fix of an error is something that Jetstar may allow for, but not a refund. It doesn't read necessarily that the airline would offer a refund if there had been some other mistake
trooper likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Josh43
You also could also be confusing this policy with the 24-hour cancellation policy for all flights originating the US. The US DOT requires all airlines provide a full refund of any fare booked within 24 hours, should the purchaser wish. This policy also applies to JQ and QF fares originating in the US (but not for travel to the US)
Just for clarification, the U.S. DOT's "24-hour reservation requirement" applies to "each U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers" regardless of the flight origin and destination. It applies to "all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flights scheduled departure time." So it applies to all JQ and QF tickets purchased in the U.S. from the U.S.-facing Web sites.

Some airlines and travel agents have similar polices that apply where the U.S. DOT rule does not, so it pays to review the policy of the specific airline or agent.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
Just for clarification, the U.S. DOT's "24-hour reservation requirement" applies to "each U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers" regardless of the flight origin and destination. It applies to "all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flights scheduled departure time." So it applies to all JQ and QF tickets purchased in the U.S. from the U.S.-facing Web sites.

Some airlines and travel agents have similar polices that apply where the U.S. DOT rule does not, so it pays to review the policy of the specific airline or agent.
The airline does have to comply with it where DOT has juristiction, but it has no control over flights between AU and NZ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.