Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemptions on MAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Redemptions on MAS

I've noticed some really bizarre behaviuour if I search for Qantas redemptions SYD-KUL on Malaysia Airlines in November. Every search from whatever departure point takes me first on a Qantas flight to a different departure point and then on an MAS flight. I want to fly from Sydney - I'm offered SYD-MEL or SYD-ADL on Qantas and then the MAS flight. Change my origin to Melbourne or Adelaide and I'm offered MEL-SYD or ADL-SYD or ADL-MEL on Qantas and then an MAS flight. It's almost as if I can't take a direct flight on MAS now without taking a QF flight first - and burn more points

Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Perhaps only married segments are loaded in the award inventory at the moment?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ
I am finding the same with CX redemptions - I am looking at AKL/HKG but I only get AKL/XXX/HKG with XXX a point in Oz. According to both BA and JL there is plenty of J availability on the direct CX AKL/HKG flights, but nothing on QF.

I can't help but feel that there is something weird about QF award availability at the moment.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Perhaps only married segments are loaded in the award inventory at the moment?
Oddly enough it was OK last week for the same dates. Maybe they've got some work experience kid updating their frequent flyer inventories
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Maybe the work experience kid (AKA IT “Guru”) has figured out that sending QF FF bookings partly via QF metal is more profitable to QF FF than sending it directly on some other carrier. A phone call to a friendly QF agent may solve the problem and get you what you want.
minz56 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I grabbed a MH MEL-xKUL-CMB on qantas.com early this week when looking for MEL-CMB.

I guess that's different to looking for MEL-KUL.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by serfty
I grabbed a MH MEL-xKUL-CMB on qantas.com early this week when looking for MEL-CMB.

I guess that's different to looking for MEL-KUL.

I think a call to QFF to see if there was availability on the direct UL flight might have been useful.....

Just wandering
Fred
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I think a call to QFF to see if there was availability on the direct UL flight might have been useful..... ...
I was actually looking at UL - the day before there had been plenty of availability but it went away the day before I planned to book.

It turned out that MH will work better for me as I am likely to be doing a back to back on the same MH equipment.
(It was ~10% better in +++ as well.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.