Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 767s used for the past Intra-Asian routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

As a youngster, I seem to vaguely recall sitting in the BC section of a QF 767; HKG-BKK. The configuration of this plane seemed to have the bulkhead divide between FC(?) and BC, running-up the centre-line of the cabin. (Not like the usual across the cabin, sectional bulkhead). The port/left-hand side, had the BC seats, while the starboard side had what I had assumed were the FC seats.

I tried looking-up old seating plans; but had no luck. Wondered if anybody can help?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:25 am

This may help but it's not a seat map: Aviation Photo Search | Airliners.net
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I can only recall the Biz “DreamTime” recliner seas which were 1 x 2 x 2 across the whole cabin in the VH-OGx series of aircraft whereas the BA sourced 763s were 2 x 2 x 2 Biz seating. There may have been a very early seating variant to include F and J as per the OP’s question, but if so it wouldn’t have been around for long - possibly replaced by the DreamTime seats ??
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Seat map here - you are correct.
https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/threads/anyone-got-any-qantas-photos-from-the-day.40854/

Was also a thread on airliners at one point but seems to have disappeared.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: NZ
Yes, I remember this configuration on Intra-Asia flights (mainly SIN/HKG) in the early 1990s. I couldn't remember if it was F on the other side or a galley, but it seems from the link above that it was an F cabin.

TG had this sort of configuration for their J cabin downstairs on the 747 (they may still do) but in that case it was a galley on the other side with F up front.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS

I think this is what is being referred to...(took quite a bit of finding!!).
minz56, xtra1, eminere and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

An appreciative thanks to all!

Finally got the reference plan, I needed.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seat diagram brings back the horrors of having active smokers on aircraft. Absolute hell for non smokers.
Blackcloud and littlegreenman like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by minz56
Yes, I remember this configuration on Intra-Asia flights (mainly SIN/HKG) in the early 1990s. I couldn't remember if it was F on the other side or a galley, but it seems from the link above that it was an F cabin.

TG had this sort of configuration for their J cabin downstairs on the 747 (they may still do) but in that case it was a galley on the other side with F up front.
Yes, they still do and use that aircraft on the SYD-BKK route (I believe other cities get newer aircraft)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: QF WP, VA
Looking at the seat map, for a moment I thought F/J was placed aft of Y! Can't remember seeing a diagram that has the map the other way!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by og
That seat diagram brings back the horrors of having active smokers on aircraft. Absolute hell for non smokers.
Yes, if you were really lucky you could end up in the last row of nonsmoking and have those immediately behind puffing away for the entire journey. A constant smoke haze.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Did any other airline have such a configuration?
What is the logic behind having this configuration?

I remember there was a gap between the floor and the bulkhead-wall. I could see movement 'shadows' behind this wall; so, assumed it was FC. (I was stupid not to have asked/confirmed, at the time)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:40 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xtra1
What is the logic behind having this configuration? ...
Speculating: the barrier set up allowed separate forward galley and toilet access for both F and J cabins without J traffic backwards and forwards through the F cabin. Note that galleys were only available at the front and rear of the aircraft.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I recall being on this config 767 for a HKG-MEL flight in 1990 or 1991.

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og

Speculating: the barrier set up allowed separate forward galley and toilet access for both F and J cabins without J traffic backwards and forwards through the F cabin. Note that galleys were only available at the front and rear of the aircraft.
Galley and other service makes sense. WC they could have installed behind the J cabin (Air Muaritius' 762s had 2 rows of F follwed by three rows of J with a WC behind that (and one at the front of the aircraft for F). Can't remember how Air Mauritius did their meal and other service for J... maybe brought the carts and drinks up from the rear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.