Lounge access in HKG/SIN as OWS?

Old Mar 1, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Lounge access in HKG/SIN as OWS?

Flying SFO-HKG-SIN in CX premium econ, me = AA PLT (OWS), wife + 6 y.o. daughter = AA GLD (OWR). It will be ~ 2:20 connection in HKG both ways.

Will the 3 of us be allowed into the QF lounge in HKG, as well as the QF SIN lounge on the return?

I was reading about the QF lounge access for families, but it wasn't clear to me if it applied to OW Sapphires on a non-QF flight.

I'm prepared to use the Plaza Premium HKG / Blossom SIN lounges (via Priority Pass) as a backup.
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
There is a distinction between accessing QF lounges based on oneworld rules (sapphire) and accessing as a Qantas customer.

Under oneworld rules, 1 guest only. Under Qantas rules, your 6yo doesn't count as a guest.

Since you are flying CX, the oneworld rules apply.

However, it has been known for Qantas lounge agents to be lenient when it comes to children but there is no gaurantee. All I can suggest is you ask nicely and happily accept any response.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen....html#children
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
And if you are flying CX on the return you will depart from the new SIN T4, which is not connected behind security like T1-T3 so would only have access to the CX lounge, or the Priority Pass Blossom Lounge.

With CX kids count as guests though some attendants will reportedly bend the rules occasionally.

Plus the QF Lounge had limited hours (1430 to 2300).

Last edited by moa999; Mar 1, 19 at 9:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA
You might refer to #1540 and replies down thread from the CX forum to a similar situation:

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

I do wonder whether the bending of the rules in QF lounges for children as extra guests are different for QFF vs other OW cardholders?
Old Mar 3, 19, 3:12 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
with capacity control at SIN QF lounge where even its own QF club members are turned away, i would be surprised if QF let you in with a child guest for a AA member let alone flying on CX... thats assuming you can get to T3. yes its possible i done it (search "CX SIn lounge" in cathay forum) but its not worth the effort (think 45min to get to T3 from T4 at worst case, one way).

CX is pretty strict on guest policy they wont let your child in.
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. For SIN, since Blossom and CX lounges are right next to each other, I'll head to CX lounge first and ask nicely. If denied, then head to the Blossom lounge.

Depending on our departure gate from HKG, we'll head to the closest OW lounge, ask nicely, and then to Plaza Premium as a backup if denied elsewhere.

Last edited by ntamayo; Mar 4, 19 at 3:56 pm
Old May 23, 19, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

We ended up getting CX lounge access throughout the trip, but with the "just this once" warning at each entry.
serfty and moa999 like this.