Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF-QF Domestic Connection on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I need to book 3 separate award tickets for QF domestic flights. I can not book them in one itinerary due to cabin class mixes.
HBA-MEL, then MEL-PER, then PER - LEA.

55 minutes connecting in both airports which is a legal connection.

According to what I read here bag through check in should be allowed. But how does qantas handle delays and reprotections in such cases? It's all qantas flights, no other airline involved.

Maybe aussie experts have an idea. Not too much used to fly in Australia. I was a bit shocked by the lack of customer consumer laws when flying with virgin from ADL to SYD 2 years ago. Flight was canceled ad hoc due to missing crew and all they did was offering a reprotection to the next day or a air credit but not even a refund, not even talking about a rebooking to another carrier....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are delayed and miss one of the onward flights, then it depends on the rules of the ticket. If it is one that doesn't allow changes, then be prepared to have to buy a new ticket
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reifel
According to what I read here bag through check in should be allowed. But how does qantas handle delays and reprotections in such cases? It's all qantas flights, no other airline involved.

Maybe aussie experts have an idea. Not too much used to fly in Australia. I was a bit shocked by the lack of customer consumer laws when flying with virgin from ADL to SYD 2 years ago. Flight was canceled ad hoc due to missing crew and all they did was offering a reprotection to the next day or a air credit but not even a refund, not even talking about a rebooking to another carrier....
If the tickets are non changeable, you buy new tickets or rely on the goodwill of a QF agents in changing tickets. Goodwill may or may not happen.
If you miss a flight will not be a lot of options: thin routes. PER LEA looks to have 2 flights a day (Mon to Fri) and 1 flight on Sat & Sun
Great Circle Mapper

There has been some revision/government intervention on ticket t&c's in recent months. All airlines were not compliant with the law
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/he...-cancellations
Jetstar, Tigerair, Qantas and Virgin Australia to fix refund policies 17 Dec 2018
Jetstar, Tigerair, Qantas and Virgin Australia have committed to ensuring their refund policies and practices comply with their consumer guarantee obligations under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL).

The ACCC was concerned that each airline had made false or misleading representations on their websites that misled consumers about their rights to refunds and resupply in the event of significant flight delays or cancellations.

The ACCC has accepted court-enforceable undertakings from all four airlines, in which each has committed to reviewing their refund policies, compliance programs, websites and booking systems to address the ACCC’s concerns. As a result of the ACCC’s engagement with the industry, the airlines have already made improvements to their websites, policies and procedures to address the ACCC’s concerns.
<snip>
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...ds-policy.html
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...ancel-booking/
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I need to book 3 separate award tickets for QF domestic flights. I can not book them in one itinerary due to cabin class mixes.
A question for the QF experts: could a mixed-cabin itinerary like this be booked on a single ticket on the phone?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moved this out of the QF not checking through luggage into its own thread. [/mod hat]
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
A question for the QF experts: could a mixed-cabin itinerary like this be booked on a single ticket on the phone?
Fare rules seem to permit it
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Qantas
You should also be able to book mixed class in a multi city booking.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Hello,

You can book a mixture of classes on an award itinerary in the multi city itinerary, however you can only book up to two segment departures on a single date with this tool.

I would suggest booking with an agent on the phone or SMS or chat and have them on the one booking. This will give you all the best protections although a fee is likely to be charge, in points if you like.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've had good luck using chat to book something complicated that web site doesn't offer and agents don't usually seek gives them more time to check with their resources rather than say "can't do it" which so often happens on the phone. But I never knew mixed class awards existed (other than as involuntary downgrade, in that you pay for the highest class for all sectors and get lower for some).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by number_6
But I never knew mixed class awards existed (other than as involuntary downgrade, in that you pay for the highest class for all sectors and get lower for some).
The points cost of those mixed class awards has been prorated for a few years now.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.
I should have mentioned that I want to book this with BA points.

Before posting this I spoke with a BA Rep since the combination couldn't be booked online (besides Qantaslink flights not being bookable online with BA anyway, figure that...). The rep told me that the only way to book this would be to book all segments individually in seperate PNRs. Since BA charges per segment that would have been the same amount of miles (but a couple of AUD more in Taxes, which can be disregarded). The issue would have of course to have 4 different PNRs for one trip.

After reading your comments I called BA again and I had a much better rep which of course they could book it in one PNR and even issue everyhting in one ticket. They didn't charged me the phone booking fee (I didn't even had to ask for it to be voided), I paid lower taxes due to the transfers, and I even got the 2PC bag allowance on the whole ticket, which I don't necessarily need, but hey...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After reading your comments I called BA again and I had a much better rep which of course they could book it in one PNR and even issue everything in one ticket. They didn't charged me the phone booking fee (I didn't even had to ask for it to be voided), I paid lower taxes due to the transfers, and I even got the 2PC bag allowance on the whole ticket, which I don't necessarily need, but hey...
A far better outcome. ^
Is now QF's problem if 1 flight is late.
Enjoy the trip
Globaliser and serfty like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.