Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Get Status Miles Up When Based In BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I am curently based in BKKand would like to get my status back up. I had almost given up on my QFF as I did not think there were too many opportunities for miles based in Asia. I recently flew from Darwin > Sin > BKK and with the cheap Max Plus package for legroom, meal and the like I realised I made 80 status credits which I wasn't aware I would make. Apparently I was getting Economy Flex points rates with the Max Plus package,

I don't want to be flying back to Australia more than once a year, but I do like to travel to Vietnam, Japan, India, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and possibly Singapore and Myanmar. I do so about 6 to 8 times a year for even just weekend or long weekend trips. I know Jetstar hubs through Singapore so there are few direct flights to places from BKK. I am happy for connecting flights as long as there isn't a long layover in SIN. I have some questions:

1. Is there a quality route map online for flights in Jetstar. I can't find one anywhere.
2. What is the best way to find cheap flights on Jetstar. I'd really like a month search. I have used Sky Scanner in the past, but I can't filter by airline until I have chosen a destination. I really want to filter by airline first and then find cheap direct flights or connecting flight with reasonably short layover times.\
3. Is there a better airline that offers cheaper flights from BKK that can help me get status points up? I am happy to travel closer toward Europe for the longer short trips away if they are good value flights.

Any help that can get me started will be gratefully received.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
few tips​​​​​​
- use Jetstar for the ~ (i.e. 4 minimum sector on QF/JQ) to quality the segment but forget SC as value is non existent.
- use other OW airlines based in Asia for SC accumulation. You need to do this in J class to be meaningful. You could fly to SIN on JQ, then do a SIN-KUL-BKK nested return on MH. Or get up to Taiwan, ex TPE CX J class to BKK nets 200 SC which is ok value.
- use current double SC promotion (book by 25 Feb). You can pretty good miles by doing Asia-Australia/NZ... I do this on annual basis 1 trip is about 800 SC and I do other creative runs to re-qualify for Plat with relative ease.

I spend about AUD$6k/annum for "needless" travel for pure purpose of SC accumulation. Yes most people think I'm dumb and crazy, but I think the same about someone who spend 10k USD on a watch or buying 300k USD sportscar.
shuuy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, FakeCD. Those tips are useful. I'm not in a position to judge you for your choices on how to spend your money at all. I quite like business class travel, too.

What sites do you use for getting the good deals?
Who is running the Double SC credits? Is it Malaysian airlines?
Can you give me more advice on nested flights or some link for further reading? Specifically on this " You could fly to SIN on JQ, then do a SIN-KUL-BKK nested return on MH."

Also, where are you finding the points / status calculator for MH?

Last edited by stan101; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:16 am Reason: added
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by stan101
Can you give me more advice on nested flights or some link for further reading? Specifically on this " You could fly to SIN on JQ, then do a SIN-KUL-BKK nested return on MH."

QF is currently offering Double SCs - look at the QF FT Thread listing on this website. DSCs run to 25 Feb for bookings. They ONLY can be obtained from QF metal & QF flight number flights. JQ flights are not eligible. The QF website front page advertises the DSC - read the fine print. No QF DSC on MH but “normal” accrual from MH flights still occurs.

Flight nesting is frowned upon by airlines - they might call it fraud. There is discussion on FT about it from time to time - spending time with a Search might give you answers.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:56 pm

i just book travels on airline sites. i never used travel agents. as SC can be earned only on OW airlines its not like you have to compare millions

?nested flight" habe bad connotation but idea is that airfare originating from cheap cost base cities are cheaper due to competition. BKK once used to be cheap cost base but not so much now... check for yourself, fot example fly on Cathay to Tokyo you price out of Colombo vs HK to tokyo.

best suggestion is google terms likr "status runs" or "mileage run" and familiarize yourself more
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by stan101
Thanks, FakeCD. Those tips are useful. I'm not in a position to judge you for your choices on how to spend your money at all. I quite like business class travel, too.

What sites do you use for getting the good deals?

You need to spend some time becoming familiar with the QF frequent flyer programme. You use their Points Calculator to work out the points and SCs earned for all QF and Partner Airline flights (including MH). A good place to start would be at:
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...ts-calculators

Being based in Asia I would be looking to maximise my earnings on MH in J class. Watch out for specials that MH periodically offer by regularly checking the Deals section on the MH website and setting up deal alerts for fares from cities you are interested in departing from (eg Bangkok). If you do travel in MH Y you need to be aware that you won't earn QF SCs and points on the lowest fares.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I actually found that the QF calculator does include all One World airlines. Something I did not know.

I will start the search.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
If you have no choice but to fly JQ/BL/3K, ensure you buy a fare that has the QF points and QF SC earn, ie, make sure it has a bundle.
Some JQ/BL/3K fares are cheap, but without a bundle, ie, paying a bit more, you don't earn any QF points or QF SC.
Flying MH around Asia in J is good, but not when/if flying MH back to Aust, as the QF SC earn flying MH when its to/from Aust, the QF SC is very low, even if you flew MH KUL to Aust in J, you will only at premY rate of SC, ie very low amount of QF SC.
QF have a SC earn calculator on their website, to earn the most QF SC, you have to fly either QF or JQ/BL/3K with a bundle.
Flying with OW partners, you will earn less QF SC.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
With/in regards to QF and QFF, status miles do ot exist.
Status credits, yes.
Miles from flights flown, yes.
Status miles, not with QF.
Other airlines, status miles might be a thing.
QF flyer accounts these days, also now do not have the squggle. Or the horizontal wavy line.
If you booed tat flight above yourself, and got QF points and QF SC, then you must have gotten or bought a bundle fare.
In some cases, where there have been QF and JQ/BL/3K flights all under the QF booking, there might be a chance that QF points and QF SC have been earnt without a bundle, but if you make bookings on the www.jetstar.com website, make sure you pick the bundle that earns QF points and QF SC.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF WP
I find JQ + max bundle one of the most cost effective ways of getting SC, not sure about anyone else? As always YMMV
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
I find JQ + max bundle one of the most cost effective ways of getting SC, not sure about anyone else? As always YMMV
i beg to differ. whilst JQ is effective o get the squiggle ~ required for 4 sectors if based in Asia, value of SC/$ spent aint that juicy particularly if normalized to flight comfort and time spent, not to mention pathetoc points accural. my status runs often go around AUD$5 to 6 per SC without even considering generous 100% platinun bonus for QF flights. i rather fly to Aus on QF for a day than fly JQ
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: QF WP
As I said, YMMV. Suggesting the OP excludes jetstar entirely for SC earn cos they don’t work for you personally is silly though

Last edited by nancypants; Feb 24, 2019 at 12:34 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Jetstar Max fares are pretty good if you can use them (or get to Singapore with them). The other thing is Jetstar Max fares through Asia often include a lounge so you can get that even if the Qantas Lounge isn't open. (eg KLM/Skyteam in BKK)
Malaysia sometimes has some pretty damn sweet business fares ex BKK. Don't get the squiggles, but the SC earn is good (and they have fixed the BKK-KUL earning anomoly).
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.