FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   BNE Domestic J Lounge Food Choices (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1956230-bne-domestic-j-lounge-food-choices.html)

mikalee Feb 14, 2019 12:31 am

BNE Domestic J Lounge Food Choices

As much as the Mexican theme offering in BNE is better than the wet dish stew thing served in Sydney, after 1.5 years since the refurb ( I think) it is getting a bit boring. The menus don't seem to change that much. Am I stuck with this for years to come in BNE?

Blackcloud Feb 14, 2019 5:12 am

I completely agree with you. It seems to vary with only a change in proteins, quesadilla of pulled pork, chicken or beef or a Mexican style salad. I was so over it I only got the tortilla chips with some salsa from there and had the normal self serve options.
I applaud Qantas for making the effort to theme their kitchens but the execution of the same type of dishes just means it takes a little bit longer to get over the hype of the new lounge and see it as another place with chairs and tables to wait for a flight.

mattm199 Feb 23, 2019 3:49 am

It would be nice if they maybe swapped the themes between the lounges periodically! I agree that it’s a bit tedious that BNE will forever have a Mexican theme for hot food.
It’s nice that SYD J lounge still has afternoon party pies, but I’m sure that will be enhanced when they eventually renovate the lounge.

og Feb 23, 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by mattm199 (Post 30812406)
It’s nice that SYD J lounge still has afternoon party pies, but I’m sure that will be enhanced when they eventually renovate the lounge.

Basic, filling comfort food is preferable. Fancy themed food is “fun” for the first time, Only. Can we please move forward from what Mr Perry wants us to eat.

littlegreenman Feb 24, 2019 5:15 am

I would've agreed with y'all two weeks ago but after going through HBA for the first time in ten years I was shocked at how bad the lounge was and how bad the food was there. Time has definitely not stood still there and it is just so used up.

I shall not dare complain about the Mexican theme in BNE.

QF WP Feb 24, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm yet to experience the Mexican themed food - for which I am grateful (all of my outbound flights are between 5am and 7am, with my inbounds all arriving after 7pm).

Blackcloud Feb 25, 2019 3:14 pm

QFWP how could you continue to live without experiencing the joys of a free quesadilla or slightly spiced coleslaw?:eek:
These days I tend to just eat from the buffet area and get some of the corn chips they make with a sampling of the salsas they have on offer.
I only go to BNE now for extra SC, as it is cheaper to often buy WLG-SYD-BNE in J than it is WLG-SYD. With DSC I get 540SC for about $2k NZD, it just takes an extra day of travel but I am on a personal break so I enjoy it.:)

mikalee Feb 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by QF WP (Post 30817945)
I'm yet to experience the Mexican themed food - for which I am grateful

Oh maybe I overplayed it but it actually tastes OK to good. Probably very good by airport lounge standards to be honest.

It is just boring to have the same 6 or so things on rotation and thinking it will be years of it..... But then I am very BNE domestic centric with my flights and possibly I am a little spoilt by having that facility half the time I fly.

jrfsp320 Feb 25, 2019 5:31 pm

I agree, i'm all for simple dishes but the idea of permanent themes is too boring and for regular fliers it becomes very monotonous, not just the mexican in BNE but pizza in PER is also wearing thin.

Id much rather a choice of 2 X seasonal dishes which are changed every quarter, which can be the same in every business lounge.

mattm199 Apr 12, 2019 2:21 am

I’ve been in the lounge for some time this afternoon and evening, thanks to a delayed QLink CNS flight. J lounge has spicy beef nachos from the servery, all day toasted sandwiches and after 5.30 “beef and horseradish” stew (not a bad casserole style).
I went for a walk over to the old QP, and they had fried chicken! Nice to find a non-Mexican, non stew option. Wish the J lounge would introduce some variation.