Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1st class suite on 380?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Best 1st class suite on 380?

Got lucky with a miles booking Mel Lax. All 14 suites available, any recommendations?
1st world problem, I know
thanks in Advance
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
2A or 3A
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
2A or 3A
Agree, with a slight preference for 3A.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There isn't any until they do they cabin refresh The F suites were great in 2009, in many ways better than EK or SQ, but have not aged well. Not really much difference but 3A is the best Now QF can't quite crack top-10 F in the world, how the mighty have fallen. Hopefully now that the A380 order is officially cancelled they will refurb the existing fleet pronto and have decided on keeping F.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Thank you all
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:26 pm
THR

Originally Posted by number_6
There isn't any until they do they cabin refresh The F suites were great in 2009, in many ways better than EK or SQ, but have not aged well. Not really much difference but 3A is the best Now QF can't quite crack top-10 F in the world, how the mighty have fallen. Hopefully now that the A380 order is officially cancelled they will refurb the existing fleet pronto and have decided on keeping F.
Food and service is still great. And they have already committed to the refurb.

OP, we flew 2A/3A recently - and definitely recommend those.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
There isn't any until they do they cabin refresh .
From what's been reported the cabin refresh is little more than a bigger TV, and I suspect a new slimline seat controller and new materials.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by THR
Food and service is still great. ....
If you compare to service level when A380 was first introduced, and QF was keen to compete with SQ and EK on F quality, then today's can hardly be called great. I'd guess the catering cost is less than half of what it was then, and it shows in the food quality. Service was dodgy back a decade ago as QF prohibited their experienced F cabin crew from serving on the A380, forming a low-cost cabin crew corporation which hired new staff (along with a few transfers from the mainfline QF plan) and took a few years for these staff to gain service experience and expertise ... so service level is better now in F due to that. If you don't fly the 10 airflines that are better than QF for F service, then you can call it great .
og likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:36 pm
THR

If you compare to service level when A380 was first introduced, and QF was keen to compete with SQ and EK on F quality, then today's can hardly be called great. I'd guess the catering cost is less than half of what it was then, and it shows in the food quality. Service was dodgy back a decade ago as QF prohibited their experienced F cabin crew from serving on the A380, forming a low-cost cabin crew corporation which hired new staff (along with a few transfers from the mainfline QF plan) and took a few years for these staff to gain service experience and expertise ... so service level is better now in F due to that. If you don't fly the 10 airflines that are better than QF for F service, then you can call it great .
I've flown Etihad and Singapore F in the last year (including new suites).

While obviously the Qantas cabin is dated, the soft product - food and service - was better than both SQ and EY.

Partially that's due to EY going backwards, and inconsistent crews.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THR
I've flown Etihad and Singapore F in the last year (including new suites).
While obviously the Qantas cabin is dated, the soft product - food and service - was better than both SQ and EY.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No objective person believes that QF First is better than SQ or EY even after their cutbacks. IMO, QF is not even in the top 15 international F products.
eminere likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF is not even in the top 15 international F products.
Are there even 15 International carriers offering F class (not counting the USA’s version of domestic F - which isn’t).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:16 am
THR

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No objective person believes that QF First is better than SQ or EY even after their cutbacks. IMO, QF is not even in the top 15 international F products.
Never did I say that, did I?

I said their service and food was better. Not their hard product and overall experience.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Are there even 15 International carriers offering F class (not counting the USA’s version of domestic F - which isn’t).
There are actually well over 20 of them. FWIW, my personal ranking which takes into account inflight hard and soft products, service, amenities (like wifi) as well as ground services such as lounges and personalized services.

1. Air France
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Emirates
4. Qatar
5. Lufthansa
6. Cathay Pacific
7. Singapore
8. Swiss
9. Etihad
10. ANA
11. JAL
12. Korean
13. Malaysia
14. Thai
15. Asiana
16. Qantas
17. American
18. British
19. Air China
20. United (recently mercifully discontinued)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THR
Never did I say that, did I?
I said their service and food was better. Not their hard product and overall experience.
You did say service and food. Still, I'd be hard pressed to think they are in the top 15 of service and food. Even AA has better food.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:54 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
On my last 4 EK F flights the food was absolutely terrible. Never had that issue on EY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.