Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help a confused American choose a flight between Mel and Syd

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help a confused American choose a flight between Mel and Syd

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:26 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
And if u would like to maximize the experience (this is FT after all) both VA and QF serve complimentary wine & beer Mon-Fri 5 to 7 pm
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by TPJ
And if u would like to maximize the experience (this is FT after all) both VA and QF serve complimentary wine & beer Mon-Fri 5 to 7 pm
Pay for it with very high airfares at that time of day though.

QF will serve a proper meal at breakfast, lunch and dinner though which makes up for the price differential over VA. If you’re flying at snack time then QF’s advantage is reduced.

Slightly better food options closer to VA terminal (adjoins International landside food outlets) in MEL.

I’d fly QF just to earn on AA really if the price difference is minimal. It’s a 1 hour shuttle run.

Your biggest consideration is baggage allowance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I’d fly QF just to earn on AA really if the price difference is minimal.
So long as the fare category allows AA mileage accrual. But that’s one for the AA fans to elaborate on.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
QF and VA have nicer terminals than tiger and JQ.

I would take QF relax and enjoy, nicer terminal, luggage, easily solved irroops, earn some miles, and a snack and drink on the plane. End of the day it is like LAX SFO or JFK BOS. 60 mins and take a window seat. Great scenery.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:31 am
THR

Surprised nobody has raised to be careful about the airport you choose. Make sure it is Tullamarine and not Avalon (if you choose Jetstar).

OldFruity likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i consider safety. qantas is a safe airline.... i pay premium for their high calibre pilots, not the seat or IFE or lounge or points... biggest benefit is to arrive destination in one piece, not just one piece of you arriving at the destination.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fakecd
i consider safety. qantas is a safe airline.... i pay premium for their high calibre pilots, not the seat or IFE or lounge or points... biggest benefit is to arrive destination in one piece, not just one piece of you arriving at the destination.
and what at all is there to suggest that Virgin or Jetstar are not safe airlines?
og, nancypants and lokijuh like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
and what at all is there to suggest that Virgin or Jetstar are not safe airlines?
there may not be, but there seems to be plenty of stories backing QF quality of pilots.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there may not be, but there seems to be plenty of stories backing QF quality of pilots.
If your argument is valid, then you’d have produce stories that demonstrate that JQ and VA pilots are of lesser quality.
nancypants and eminere like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
Especially given the current worldwide pilot shortage there’s basically free movement of pilots between the major airlines in Australia. My partner flies for qantas but many of his colleagues have left to go to jetstar or virgin because what they offer (not necessarily monetary) is perceived as better for them at this moment (eg jetstar is generally better for people with kids who want to be home most nights)

if you wanted to draw a particularly long how you might be able to say something about cadets, although given that QF/VA/JQ all use them it’d be a struggle (and it would be a bloody long bow in the first place)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I'd echo what many are saying about QF - on an award flight from MEL to BNE, when I missed the flight due to taking the bus too late and failing to make checkin, QF called me and offered to rebook me at no charge on the next available flight, even though it was totally my own fault and I was prepared to buy a last minute ticket. And that's with no QF status. I can't say enough how valuable that sort of service can be, especially with MEL and BNE's constant roadworks.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
And some that don’t But if you don’t know where to look you might not be aware of them.

In general however I would agree that legacy carriers probably have pilots with more experience.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So your implcit accusation about quality of JQ and VA pilots has no substance - just a throwing mud approach - your comment implicitly suggested that the others are not safe
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a break and read “How to Lie with Statistics” before further comment that relies on statistics to support an argument.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.