FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Qantas newbie questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1954359-qantas-newbie-questions.html)

tobikosan Feb 2, 2019 4:46 pm

Qantas newbie questions

Hello- Considering repositioning Qantas economy flights and would really appreciate some help.
1) How bad is economy for tall people and what are the best seats and strategies for those seats?
2)Which planes and routes best choice from LAX to AUS in economy?
3) Is there a history of Qantas PE or J sales in the $1000 for PE or $2000 for J that you know of?
4) If Expedia for example is $80 less than Qantas what are risks/downsides of using EXP and does Qantas ever allow seat selection in exchange for booking with them? I read that somewhere
5) How do you get access to upper deck economy seats say in row 24 for example. I only show the farther back ones available even to buy.

Thank you.

jridge Feb 2, 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 30732617)
Hello- Considering repositioning Qantas economy flights and would really appreciate some help.
1) How bad is economy for tall people and what are the best seats and strategies for those seats?
2)Which planes and routes best choice from LAX to AUS in economy?
3) Is there a history of Qantas PE or J sales in the $1000 for PE or $2000 for J that you know of?
4) If Expedia for example is $80 less than Qantas what are risks/downsides of using EXP and does Qantas ever allow seat selection in exchange for booking with them? I read that somewhere
5) How do you get access to upper deck economy seats say in row 24 for example. I only show the farther back ones available even to buy.

Thank you.

1. Qantas' standard economy seats are pretty much like any other airline in terms of legroom and comfort. The best seats depend on aircraft type, but pretty obviously exit row is preferable, and the simplest way to get it is to pay.
2. For economy, not a drastic amount of difference. Everything is pretty much A380 or 787 from LAX now. Best route depends on your destination city.
3. No
4. The main difference will be if you need to change the ticket.
5. These are generally reserved for elite status members or paid for.

og Feb 2, 2019 7:01 pm

As per above, the only reliable way to have any leg room and minimise the risk of crushed knee caps is to pay for exit row seats or buy a PE seat. Of course, you might find other airlines offer PE or Biz at less cost than QF but that might mean going via the West Pacific or SE Asia - an option I would certainly consider especially if an overnight break is desired. Another option is to go via HNL - plenty of options this way including JQ and their LCC style “Business ”.

mannej Feb 2, 2019 7:18 pm

Row 24 on the UD isn't Y