Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-MEL flight Qs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

SYD-MEL flight Qs

I'm looking to book SYD-MEL in September on QF459 18:00 which is currently operated by an A330-200. The seat map is showing as 1-2-1 so I assume this is the 'new' lie-flat seating.

Some questions:
  • Is there a decent enough chance of this sticking as a A330 rather than a B737? I have no experience with Qantas' schedule changes, but e.g. I know BA sends a 777 pretty reliably to Madrid on a certain flight which I'd be reasonably confident in booking.
  • What sort of cadence are the schedules set, would there be more confidence when the (southern) winter schedule starts circa April?
  • Is there any difference in the product between the A330-200 and A330-300 when both are showing 1-2-1 seating?
  • As a BA Gold what lounges could we use in SYD and MEL, assume we're not restricted by being on a domestic flight?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'll let QF regulars handle (1) and (2).

(3) No significant difference. The only difference is in the seat material/upholstery: all the -300 birds have fabric upholstery, whereas the -200 ones have a mix of fabric and leather, though domestic flights tend to see more of the latter.

(4) You would be eligible for the "Domestic Business Lounges", the highest class of lounge available to domestic travelers. You will not have access to the international departures area and any of the lounges (e.g. F lounges) there.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'll let QF regulars handle (1) and (2).

(3) No significant difference. The only difference is in the seat material/upholstery: all the -300 birds have fabric upholstery, whereas the -200 ones have a mix of fabric and leather, though domestic flights tend to see more of the latter.

(4) You would be eligible for the "Domestic Business Lounges", the highest class of lounge available to domestic travelers. You will not have access to the international departures area and any of the lounges (e.g. F lounges) there.
Not that it would change my choice of flight, but I assume getting the leather seats are better?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by drakepassage
  • As a BA Gold what lounges could we use in SYD and MEL, assume we're not restricted by being on a domestic flight?
Originally Posted by dkc192
(4) You would be eligible for the "Domestic Business Lounges", the highest class of lounge available to domestic travelers.
For completeness, this wouldn't be affected by your BA Gold status. That would get you in to the Business Lounge even if you were flying economy, but the business class ticket on its own would get you in.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These flights have a wheels up - wheels down flying time of 60 ~ 70 minutes. This route is a very busy commuter run. For a 18:00 departure the Qantas Club & the slightly better domestic Business lounge will be very crowded.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not that it would change my choice of flight, but I assume getting the leather seats are better?
Not necessarily - the cloth seats tend to 'breathe' and can be far better for longer flights.

On a 55 minute SYD/MEL flight it makes little difference.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I'm looking to book SYD-MEL in September on QF459 18:00 which is currently operated by an A330-200. The seat map is showing as 1-2-1 so I assume this is the 'new' lie-flat seating.

Some questions:
  • <snip>
Thanks in advance.
OWE provides you with departure Lounge access only - AFAIK no arrivals Lounge access in MEL (which *is* a benefit for QF WP).

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't say that leather seats are any better than the others
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF

Some questions:
  • Is there a decent enough chance of this sticking as a A330 rather than a B737? I have no experience with Qantas' schedule changes, but e.g. I know BA sends a 777 pretty reliably to Madrid on a certain flight which I'd be reasonably confident in booking.
  • What sort of cadence are the schedules set, would there be more confidence when the (southern) winter schedule starts circa April?
  • Is there any difference in the product between the A330-200 and A330-300 when both are showing 1-2-1 seating?
Thanks in advance.
I would say there is a high chance of the A330 being subbed to a 737 being so far in advance. A330s are fairly rare on the SYD-MEL runs, probably <5% of flights, appearing on a couple of peak time shuttles. The flight is only an hour so i wouldn't worry about it,
Only PER - east coast flights (and now peak season CNS flights) are generally guaranteed A330s
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
“Leather” seats work well for the airline ‘coz they are easy to clean - especially good for domestic short turn flights. I think pax comfort is secondary in the airline’s mind. I’d be pretty sure that they are “fake leather”. I’d choose fabric seats any day if available.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
I would say there is a high chance of the A330 being subbed to a 737 being so far in advance. ...
My experience is the opposite, certain flight numbers have used A330 every day for months on SYD-MEL-SYD and the A330 rotation requires some such flights with small leeway in time of day. I'd say 18:00 SYD-MEL flight is almost certain to be A330 in schedule and any substitution is only for IRROP reasons. Also on peak days such as F1 or tennis, QF has been known to use A380 SYD-MEL for normally 737 flights. Particularly if Joyce is attending and needs F cabin
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
..Also on peak days such as F1 or tennis, QF has been known to use A380 SYD-MEL for normally 737 flights. Particularly if Joyce is attending and needs F cabin
The 747 is also no stranger at the SYD T3 gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.