Bag destroyed. Compensation = $47 :(

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers do offer stock replacements at their major hub locations. Typically, these are generic mid-quality bags which replicate, but do not duplicate the specific damaged bag. On the other hand, having a brand new bag and the ability to transfer its contents in a few minutes and be done with it, carries a significant premium for many passengers who, more and more, purchase cheapish generic luggage anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
On a recent international flight, my bag was damaged. Two holes in the shell, zip cover ripped off, one hinge snapped off completely. Thankfully, no contents were lost.
I'm just impressed nothing was lost after that degree of damage was done to a Pelican...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Often1
Many carriers do offer stock replacements at their major hub locations. Typically, these are generic mid-quality bags which replicate, but do not duplicate the specific damaged bag. On the other hand, having a brand new bag and the ability to transfer its contents in a few minutes and be done with it, carries a significant premium for many passengers who, more and more, purchase cheapish generic luggage anyway.
Yes, I can understand the convenience of having something immediately in circumstances like that. Although I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd bought that fancy Rimowa one that has a LCD screen for the bag tag and that was destroyed. I'd make sure my travel insurance specifically covered that!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dddc
Yes, I can understand the convenience of having something immediately in circumstances like that. Although I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd bought that fancy Rimowa one that has a LCD screen for the bag tag and that was destroyed. I'd make sure my travel insurance specifically covered that!
One is never obligated to accept what is on offer. If it does not suit, then simply decline and take the coverage.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Often1
One is never obligated to accept what is on offer. If it does not suit, then simply decline and take the coverage.
Again, most occasional travellers won't know their rights or ability to do that. Businesses rely on this and think that a greater percentage will take the low offer and walk away, happy or not, and only those in the know will pursue the business for what they should really be paid. This is the stuff that consumer programmes constantly go on about, but the majority of the public don't follow up.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dddc
You has the benefit of knowing what the airline was liable for (the XDR value) and you were able to get proof of when you bought the case. Most "occasional" travellers aren't likely to know, or understand, their rights, nor would many keep their receipts.

I know people bemoan the loss of the high street shops, but having purchased items online I now have an automatic audit trail of purchases. A back and forth argument with Philips about the repair of a 4 y.o. steam generator iron ended when I emailed the online receipt from John Lewis that stated it came with a 5 year guarantee. My last couple of suitcases have been bought online after trialling them in shops. Some shops are beginning to offer e-receipts for physical transactions, although that does raise data privacy issues for some.

I thought some airlines had a stock of replacement cases they gave out? Maybe it's AA I'm thinking of? Different grades of cases depending on the bad lost or destroyed - or maybe your status! Or is this only for claims made while at the airport?
The company BA uses in UK for handling most bag stuff (K2) did offer a replacement from its choice of cheap bags - mght well be fine for many - especially for thos with average bags that are quite old
knowing ones rights shouldn't be so necessary to get a company to meet its obligations

The attempt by K2 to try claiming that this was all that could be done , was very poor imo - fortunately when passed back to BA, the service improved

In the end, rather than try to get it repaired BA offered to pay for a new bag - i then liaised with pelican to see whether I could get old one replaced

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 22, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Pelican lifetime warranty is hilarious -- it excludes damage caused by airline "mishandling" and specifies you should claim from the airline. I suppose a limo driver could run over the Pelican bag and then the warranty would cover any damage Presumably Rimowa have similar exclusions.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
The Pelican lifetime warranty is hilarious -- it excludes damage caused by airline "mishandling" and specifies you should claim from the airline. I suppose a limo driver could run over the Pelican bag and then the warranty would cover any damage Presumably Rimowa have similar exclusions.
You might find it hilarious, but regardless of what it states, it is very very good at handling warranty claims

It may disclaim against airline damage, but when QA contatced it regarding a previous issue when QA caused damage, Pelican replaced it for airline without any issue

I cannot fault Pelican's lifetime warranty - I have seen many so called "lifetime warranties" which don't include anything other than becoming unusable through just normal use and wouldn't cover any accidental damage
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by number_6
Rimowa does not.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Rimowa does not.
which is the same then as what Pelican does in practice

Perhaps Pelican's position is aimed at selling bags to airlines when airliines are at fault - why provide a free replacement when the airline is liable for the damage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.