Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas resume Fiji flights from Sydney

Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Looks like the divorce from Air Pacific days are almost complete although the codeshares remain for now:

Qantas to return to Fiji from March 31 2019 - Australian Aviation
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by markis10
Looks like the divorce from Air Pacific days are almost complete although the codeshares remain for now:

Qantas to return to Fiji from March 31 2019 - Australian Aviation
Qantas still owns 46% of Fiji Airways. Apparently they want to sell, but no one is buying, especially at anything like what Qantas want.

Strangely, old Qantas 737s will be competing with Fiji airs relatively new A330s & brand new 737 max.

& just looked at December & you can fly on a Fiji air A330 at 6.15am out SYD & not waste the whole day getting to Fiji. (6.15am flight arrive just after 12noon, while the Qantas 737 gets in about 4.30pm). Fiji air wins every time & is a far superior airline to Qantas although that wouldn't be hard.

Why aren't Qantas flying MEL/NAN in daylight hours ? Virgin does. Fiji air doesn't, but thought this was due to shortage of aircraft.

So on SYD/NAN will have Qantas 4 times a week, Jetstar about the same & Fiji Airways up to 3 times a day(with at least 1/day being a widebody, where Qantas & Jetstar using narrowbodies)

So who will fly Qantas? Will Qantas fares be cheaper than Fiji Airways ? Unlikely. Maybe there will be more frequent flyer seats on Qantas aircraft, but seeing there's an increase in capacity & rapidly slowing economy in Australia, there will probably be more Qantas frequent flyer seats on Fiji Airways & Jetstar. & Virgin ff seats on Virgin.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
Qantas still owns 46% of Fiji Airways. Apparently they want to sell, but no one is buying, especially at anything like what Qantas want.

Strangely, old Qantas 737s will be competing with Fiji airs relatively new A330s & brand new 737 max.

& just looked at December & you can fly on a Fiji air A330 at 6.15am out SYD & not waste the whole day getting to Fiji. (6.15am flight arrive just after 12noon, while the Qantas 737 gets in about 4.30pm). Fiji air wins every time & is a far superior airline to Qantas although that wouldn't be hard.
Hence why I said the divorce was almost complete (in terms of the ownership structure )

As for Fiji Air being a superior airline, I found that an amusing quip, I dont count any airline that serves gossips in J as a real player. Given three of the four airlines servicing Fiji are Australian, I expect there will be plenty looking for a QF seat, and I expect most of the FJ services to revert to MAX ops when we go to NH Summer schedule.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by markis10

Hence why I said the divorce was almost complete (in terms of the ownership structure )

As for Fiji Air being a superior airline, I found that an amusing quip, I dont count any airline that serves gossips in J as a real player. Given three of the four airlines servicing Fiji are Australian, I expect there will be plenty looking for a QF seat, and I expect most of the FJ services to revert to MAX ops when we go to NH Summer schedule.
hey nothing at all special about Qantas.Looked at 1st July & Fiji air are going to 2 x A330s a day & even Virgin has 1 x A330 a week, whereas poor old Qantas only has old 737-800s. With recession, those going to Fiji will surely find cheaper fares on Fiji air than Qantas. I think Fiji air are also safer than Qantas. Can't recall any Fiji air hull loses, whereas qantas wrote off a 744 in Bangkok in SEP 1999 I think it was, when they landed on gold course & somehow got it to China of all places to be repaired.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Can't recall any Fiji air hull loses, whereas qantas wrote off a 744 in Bangkok in SEP 1999 I think it was, when they landed on gold course & somehow got it to China of all places to be repaired.
If they wrote it off - why would it have been repaired?

"By returning the aircraft to service, Qantas was able to retain its record of having no hull-loss accidents since the advent of the Jet Age."

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
... I think Fiji air are also safer than Qantas. Can't recall any Fiji air hull loses, whereas qantas wrote off a 744 in Bangkok in SEP 1999 I think it was, when they landed on gold course & somehow got it to China of all places to be repaired.
Any competent statistician will be aware of sample sizes and how the unwise make uneducated comments using data (which in this case) is incorrect. Just FYI, the “bunker buster” AKA VH-OJH which over- ran at the old BKK was eventually repaired at huge cost and continued to fly with QF for many years (I was on it some years after the event).

And they didn’t land on a “gold course”, they actually started their adventure by landing on the runway and then proceeded to the golf course.

Last edited by og; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:32 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
hey nothing at all special about Qantas.Looked at 1st July & Fiji air are going to 2 x A330s a day & even Virgin has 1 x A330 a week, whereas poor old Qantas only has old 737-800s. With recession, those going to Fiji will surely find cheaper fares on Fiji air than Qantas. I think Fiji air are also safer than Qantas. Can't recall any Fiji air hull loses, whereas qantas wrote off a 744 in Bangkok in SEP 1999 I think it was, when they landed on gold course & somehow got it to China of all places to be repaired.
I don't believe it was ever a 'write off'.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
What's the commercial rationale for Qantas to operate mainline service alongside Jetstar into "holiday" markets like this? I noticed they do the same thing on SYD/MEL-DPS, with a Qantas 737 alongside a Jetstar 787
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
What's the commercial rationale for Qantas to operate mainline service alongside Jetstar into "holiday" markets like this? I noticed they do the same thing on SYD/MEL-DPS, with a Qantas 737 alongside a Jetstar 787
Saturate the market and squeeze the competition. Gives QF or JQ more opportunity to cancel if needed and consolidate flights. But if QF had the 737 Max, they'd do it with less stress.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BD1959
AH the BIG question !!! Was told that the insurance payout was less than the repair cost, which means right off. Why would Qantas pay more to get it repaired ? So they could claim no hull lose. Can't prove this though & Qantas certainly would have paperwork to deny it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by og

Any competent statistician will be aware of sample sizes and how the unwise make uneducated comments using data (which in this case) is incorrect. Just FYI, the bunker buster AKA VH-OJH which over- ran at the old BKK was eventually repaired at huge cost and continued to fly with QF for many years (I was on it some years after the event).

And they didnt land on a gold course, they actually started their adventure by landing on the runway and then proceeded to the golf course.
Yes huge cost & even then the repair was obvious both inside & outside aircraft. Land or end up on golf course - doesn't make any difference.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:35 am
Suspended

see above.

With some creative accounting, anyone can show that nothing was paid by Qantas for repair, just the insurance payout. Qantas being a public company regardless.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
bit like SYD/OOL. Qantas pulled out, then some real Qantas frequent flyers complained(not just those with ff accounts) Qantas eventually returned.

Maybe some big Qantas frequent flyers who fly the golden triangle for big bucks, want to use some of their ff pts on Qantas metal, NOT Jetstar or Fiji Airways ?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:37 am

I have it on good authority that Qantas has resumed flying its own aircraft to Fiji so that Royal Jordanian Hawk cardholders flying in economy can access the QF First Class Lounge in Sydney.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=OZFLYER86;30680753]hey nothing at all special about Qantas.Looked at 1st July & Fiji air are going to 2 x A330s a day & even Virgin has 1 x A330 a week, whereas poor old Qantas only has old 737-800s. With recession, those going to Fiji will surely find cheaper fares on Fiji air than Qantas. I think Fiji air are also safer than Qantas. Can't recall any Fiji air hull loses, whereas qantas wrote off a 744 in Bangkok in SEP 1999 I think it was, when they landed on gold course & somehow got it to China of all places to be repaired.[/QUOTE

What a stupid and asinine comment. No, Fiji Air is not safer than Qantas. Your analysis is so far off the planet, Im not sure any explanation will help you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.