Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Express lane for Trans-Tasman business passengers?

Old Jan 13, 19, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC

Never been Down Under before so please bear with me...Would the express lane be offered to Qantas Trans-Tasman business passengers?
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFairy View Post
Never been Down Under before so please bear with me...Would the express lane be offered to Qantas Trans-Tasman business passengers?
Express lane for what? Security, boarding, immigration, customs or what?
Security is nothing like at USA airports.
Immigration for most/many people is now automated self service kiosks.
And will depend at what airports at both sides of the Tasman.

As a guess for this flight--->ALL QF's 330's to get lay flight Business seating - Including Domestic
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Outbound SYD T1 with an Express Card gets a much shorter Immigration line (kiosks) and faster security. Its usially beneficial.

Arriving at SYD T1 with an Express Card at Customs (after Immigration) means about zero. Everyone is in the same queue and the CBP Officer decides how you are handled - when questioning the guy about Express Cards, he said they are useless and only serve to make you feel special when given out on board. As for Immigration, just use the kiosks (if your Passport is accepted) and then head to the auto machines. Ignore the Express line - it only causes confusion.
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
At MEL, both outbound and inbound, express cards can make a big difference for Customs, getting you in a much shorter queue.
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by whughes3 View Post
At MEL, both outbound and inbound, express cards can make a big difference for Customs, getting you in a much shorter queue.
Outbound Customs?
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pbl22 View Post
Outbound Customs?
There is no outbound customs, only immigration and security

At Sydney arrivals, there is an exit queue for customs/quarantine the is marked as express pass - unless it is very busy with long queues. the queues are fast enough that it doesn't matter ime
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:20 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
To be pedantic, at MEL benefit outbound is with security screening (sometimes shorter queue). Inbound - can help with immigration processing if not eligible to use smart gate, and for all - allows to bypass the queue for customs/quarantine check.
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:52 am

Yes indeed, outbound is "security" rather than customs, but my point stands.
Old Jan 14, 19, 2:10 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
but my point stands.
Nah, I'm going to disagree. Murphy's Law applies. In my experience, when you have one, there is hardly any difference between the queues. But when you don't the express queue is much much shorter than the normal queue (joking, last week outbound, the express queue made a big difference for me. I think the new setup outbound now that it is complete is much better for express pass holders than previous setup).
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:43 pm

I arrived into MEL international this morning, and the situation for non-express pax seems to be greatly improved - was quite busy, but none of the huge queues I have seen in the past.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:38 pm

With express passes in MEL International inbound, it is possible to access an expedited lane in both immigration and customs.

Immigration: Express lane which was always very long. This is from both personal experience and advice from Custom officer when I was processed in express lane. Assuming that you are eligible for SmartGate, it is much faster and I would highly recommend to do so.
Customs: This is where the magic starts. No queue at all. I would describe it as no waiting at all, even if you have something to declare.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: