FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Is it worth chasing Platinum One? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1950598-worth-chasing-platinum-one.html)

bubbles23 Jan 12, 2019 2:58 am

Is it worth chasing Platinum One?

I just moved back to Australia after living abroad for the last 7 years. During that time I retained Platinum, but only barely as there were limited One World options out of the hub where I was based so I primarily flew other airlines.

Since November (when I moved back) then I have acquired 1800 SCs. In the next 3 weeks I will get another ~1200 SCs, so will only be around ~600 short for P1, with my anniversary date being 28 February.

Do you think P1 worth chasing? The benefits on paper don't look amazing, but not sure if the experience is different. If so, is it worth asking QF if they would allow me an extra month to achieve the SCs to attain P1? In March I have another few trips booked so will achieve another ~1200 SCs, bringing me to a total of ~4200 SCs (within 5 months of my return to Australia).

Otherwise is it worth booking an extra unnecessary trip just to get to P1 (I'd prefer not to do a status credit run as I am away from home enough, but don't want to just miss out if it's awesome)?.

I will likely achieve P1 in the next period, but obviously I'll reset to 0 and I have quieter travel months in the middle of the year so it will likely not be until late in the year, so would be better to get it now if possible.

minz56 Jan 12, 2019 3:30 am

... well you get a bottle of champagne!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...champagne.html

GoldCanyon340 Jan 12, 2019 4:40 pm

It's not worth chasing if you're 600 SC short.

QF will not grant an extra month of SC collection.

bubbles23 Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 30644627)

Hmmmmmm... don’t feel like an extra NY or LON trip just for a bottle of champers! Thanks!

bubbles23 Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCanyon340 (Post 30646827)

Thanks! It’s only one trip, but one trip I don’t really want to take if it’s not worth it.

The anniversary date thing kills me, it should be travel in a rolling 12 month period or the extra status credits should roll over so you don’t end up 1800 SC over, but 600 under.

I’ll look at crediting my miles elsewhere until March 😀.

bigjono Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am

Hard to say without any detail of the type of travel you do or what is important to you. If you travel a lot on A380 routes in J the upgrade priority to use points to get to F can be handy. The special services team are very responsive and helpful. 99% of staff will treat you in a manner comparable to an SG anyhow. If you are platinum and travel in J or F most of the time anyway not worth worrying about.

og Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am

I’m not P1 (only humble WP) but on occasions I have found that “status means everything”. Its easy to grumble at many things, but sometime, just sometime, you get the right QF person and magic happens. In true QF fashion this is random and unpredicatble. It might only be a phone call that connects instantly to a great QF operator who can handle a complex issue (no one hour wait, no HUCA), or it might be upgrade priority or even best access to preferred seats, but status is king. As mentioned in another thread, friend who is partner of a P1 mentioned “frequent upgrades”.

bubbles23 Jan 13, 2019 3:29 am

Originally Posted by bigjono (Post 30648060)
Hard to say without any detail of the type of travel you do or what is important to you. If you travel a lot on A380 routes in J the upgrade priority to use points to get to F can be handy. The special services team are very responsive and helpful. 99% of staff will treat you in a manner comparable to an SG anyhow. If you are platinum and travel in J or F most of the time anyway not worth worrying about.

I’m usually flying J BNE-LAX-JFK or BNE-DXB-Europe. The BNE-LAX-JFK route has no F and the Europe routes are usually with Emirates and I’m not sure they upgrade QF FFs much.

Thank you!

number_6 Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bubbles23 (Post 30648132)
... Europe routes are usually with Emirates and I’m not sure they upgrade QF FFs much.

EK upgrades varies a lot by route and EK does treat WP well (doubt P1 is any better). I have no EK status as credit to QFF yet have about 50% J to F opup rate (free upgrade, no points required), but all were on less popular routes (e.g. DXB-Oz 1-stop not non-stop). Personally I find iRROP handling the biggest benefit of status, but the p1 value thread started with shocking mis-handling of IRROP so ymmv.

warreng Jan 14, 2019 7:57 am

I'm honestly not really sure why P1 exists. It's not really like CCR/GGL on BA and it doesn't earn you the level of personal service that Global Services/CK passengers get on United/AA. In saying that, I've reached the SC threshold of 3600 but fallen well short of the 2700 on QF flights for the past few years, so I'm probably not the kind of FF member it's aimed at.

GoldCanyon340 Jan 14, 2019 8:43 pm

QF created P1 to stop some (many?) high SC earning individuals jumping ship after qualifying/requalifying in their membership year. That's why there isn't a substantial range of benefits when compared to the much better BA GGL tier, it's just there to lock in revenue much the same as a Qantas Club membership does for Bronze and Silver flyers. I'm not defending QF's position rather just attempting to understand the thought processes; it wouldn't surprise me if P1 was the brainchild of bean counters as much as the Loyalty team.

Dave Noble Jan 14, 2019 8:56 pm

If booking frequent paid business class trips to US, I would look at using the AA scheme rather than aiming for P1

You could be earning enough points per trip ( if booked on an AA flight number ) to almost get a free business class flight to the USA due to the points earning being tied to spend ( could earn 75,000 points per trip and 80,000 points needed for a business class one way to US ) - do 4 trips in a year and get 4 x systemwide upgrades, so can do 4 of the flights in 1st class if routed on a service with 1st

Seems a lot more valuable than a bottle of wine

bubbles23 Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bigjono (Post 30648060)

Originally Posted by og (Post 30648094)
I’m not P1 (only humble WP) but on occasions I have found that “status means everything”. Its easy to grumble at many things, but sometime, just sometime, you get the right QF person and magic happens. In true QF fashion this is random and unpredicatble. It might only be a phone call that connects instantly to a great QF operator who can handle a complex issue (no one hour wait, no HUCA), or it might be upgrade priority or even best access to preferred seats, but status is king. As mentioned in another thread, friend who is partner of a P1 mentioned “frequent upgrades”.

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 30644627)

Originally Posted by GoldCanyon340 (Post 30646827)

Originally Posted by GoldCanyon340 (Post 30655667)
QF created P1 to stop some (many?) high SC earning individuals jumping ship after qualifying/requalifying in their membership year. That's why there isn't a substantial range of benefits when compared to the much better BA GGL tier, it's just there to lock in revenue much the same as a Qantas Club membership does for Bronze and Silver flyers. I'm not defending QF's position rather just attempting to understand the thought processes; it wouldn't surprise me if P1 was the brainchild of bean counters as much as the Loyalty team.

Originally Posted by warreng (Post 30652698)
I'm honestly not really sure why P1 exists. It's not really like CCR/GGL on BA and it doesn't earn you the level of personal service that Global Services/CK passengers get on United/AA. In saying that, I've reached the SC threshold of 3600 but fallen well short of the 2700 on QF flights for the past few years, so I'm probably not the kind of FF member it's aimed at.

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 30650807)
EK upgrades varies a lot by route and EK does treat WP well (doubt P1 is any better). I have no EK status as credit to QFF yet have about 50% J to F opup rate (free upgrade, no points required), but all were on less popular routes (e.g. DXB-Oz 1-stop not non-stop). Personally I find iRROP handling the biggest benefit of status, but the p1 value thread started with shocking mis-handling of IRROP so ymmv.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30655701)
If booking frequent paid business class trips to US, I would look at using the AA scheme rather than aiming for P1

You could be earning enough points per trip ( if booked on an AA flight number ) to almost get a free business class flight to the USA due to the points earning being tied to spend ( could earn 75,000 points per trip and 80,000 points needed for a business class one way to US ) - do 4 trips in a year and get 4 x systemwide upgrades, so can do 4 of the flights in 1st class if routed on a service with 1st

Seems a lot more valuable than a bottle of wine

Thanks Dave! I’ll book my next few flights with AA. Unfortunately I’m on a QF booked flight to the US this week and Europe next week, but I’m going to shuffle it around where I can.

Mwenenzi Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bubbles23 (Post 30659087)
I’ll book my next few flights with AA. Unfortunately I’m on a QF booked flight to the US this week and Europe next week, but I’m going to shuffle it around where I can.

You can fly QF (marketed) and credit to the AA ffp. You can change to an AA ffn now.
You can book with AA (what ever that means to you) but the flight number (marketed) has the most effect for ffp earning.
So if you fly for example SYD-LAX on the AA flight (marketed & operated) earning can be more.

Dave Noble Jan 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bubbles23 (Post 30659087)

Thanks Dave! I’ll book my next few flights with AA. Unfortunately I’m on a QF booked flight to the US this week and Europe next week, but I’m going to shuffle it around where I can.

Well - I would sign up for an AA account and credit these business class flights to AA anyway

I would also look at signing up for the AA Platinum Challenge. Costs USD200 - depending on where you are flying to in the USA, the one way journey will get you Platinum Status and then earn 60% bonus miles

Flying business class on Qantas from BNE-LAX-JFK is 9,636 miles
The award miles earned one way would be 9636 plus 25% bonus for business class = 12,045
If you do the platinum challenge, then this will give you platinum status and the return would get a 25% plus 60% bonus ( total 85%) for 17826 miles
29,871 total
This will also get you 28,908 points needed to get to AA EP status ( same level as QF Platinum - but with 4 x systemwide upgrades)

Do trip BNE-SIN-LHR r/t is another 21,162 miles and would you to 60,652 points towards EP status and bring award (spending) miles to 69,020

Just 16,000 miles short of a business class one way to Europe - on top of that AA ( unless you choose to fly on BA) will not penalise you with huge carrier surcharges such as QF and BA charge on their awards

For your next trip to JFK, If you book on AA flight numbers and your trip to JFK costs $8823 or more then your earning from the trip will be the max 75,000 points and you will reach Executive Platinum status ; after that any trip on AA costing $6819 or more will earn 75,000 points - Australia to USA costs 80,000 points one way in business class. To upgrade SYD-LAX-JFK to 1st class would cost 25,000 miles if booked in J,D or R class - 25,000 miles ps $250 if booked in I class - unlike Qantas, AA confirms upgrade as long as there is A class available to upgrade to

Continue crediting there and I suspect that you will get access to Concierge Key status

I think you will be a lot better off than worrying about P1 - I suspect that with business class travel you might well find that you find AA EP status more worthwhile than QF Platinum status and not worry about maintaining it