Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth chasing Platinum One?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF CL
I’m going to go against the trend here and say that if you travel a very significant percentage of your time, even if it’s on legs that don’t often have F, it could be worth pushing through to get it, even if it takes the odd well-planned MR. DH is CL + P1 and the soft benefits are noticeably better than WP (I score a companion CL these days but have been WP in my own right for many years, and I definitely noticed the difference between my pre-CL experience as WP and his as P1). The especially proactive approach when flights are cancelled at short notice (or where a delay impacts a connection) is a good example. There’s always someone waiting at the aerobridge for him with everything rebooked - and on whatever flight works best for him, not on whatever flight works best for Qantas. Time and convenience - that’s worth more than a bottle of champagne to us! YMMV
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the person had an option of Chairman's Lounge, that could well be nice to have - I would suspect that it is the Chairman's Lounge membership that is provding the rose petal service than the Platinum 1 status

even so, to me, there would have to be a huge number of disruptions to make it worth sacrificing so many valuable miles to get P1 status vs crediting elsewhere - if there were that number of disruptions, I would not be flying on Qantas anyway
fakecd likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the person had an option of Chairman's Lounge, that could well be nice to have - I would suspect that it is the Chairman's Lounge membership that is provding the rose petal service than the Platinum 1 status

even so, to me, there would have to be a huge number of disruptions to make it worth sacrificing so many valuable miles to get P1 status vs crediting elsewhere - if there were that number of disruptions, I would not be flying on Qantas anyway
I won’t say there’s not an uptick with CL 😄, but the uptick was also noticeably there with “vanilla” P1 (which DH has held since it was first introduced - much longer than his CL). Definitely a personal thing, but for my money you only need one major disruption that forces an unplanned overnight stay somewhere and causes you to miss a meeting. Can and does happen when flying with tight connections in, say, typhoon season in Asia. It’s the major inconveniences, even when they’re few and far between, and the service recovery that you got, that you really remember. P1 delivers on this score. It also delivers on the discretionary release of J and F award seats on flagship routes (including in blackout periods). Personally I value those benefits over some of the other advantages in other programs.

But the 600SC shortfall, and the reasonable AA alternatives, might mean the chase is not worthwhile for the OP. 😄
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:56 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
....It also delivers on the discretionary release of J and F award seats on flagship routes (including in blackout periods). Personally I value those benefits over some of the other advantages in other programs...
Ordinary WP I'm sure doesn't get the same level of "seat release" as P1 or CL, but IME it has made trips viable that otherwise wouldn't have been more difficult. I can't see AA EXP getting such favours from QF (acknowledging the QF price gouging with carrier surcharges compared with AA).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by og
Ordinary WP I'm sure doesn't get the same level of "seat release" as P1 or CL, but IME it has made trips viable that otherwise wouldn't have been more difficult. I can't see AA EXP getting such favours from QF (acknowledging the QF price gouging with carrier surcharges compared with AA).
If wanting to go to the US, AA EP members have access to additional availability for awards and upgrades for travel on AA

Given the lower earnings (88%) 66,000 vs 75,000 for BNE-LAX-JFK , the 60% higher award costs on same route 128k vs 80k plus of course the joys of carrier surcharges, for me there would have to be a lot of cases of getting something extra to make it worthwhile - during the years that I had Platinum status with Qantas , the only thing I got out of it was being able to select exit rows in advance - once QF started selling exit row seating , that benefir disappeared

I think that status seems to be a lot of emperor's new clothes - I travel on airlines without concern for status and find treatment in business class without status is no different than with status and get helped out just as well when there is an issue
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
It also delivers on the discretionary release of J and F award seats on flagship routes (including in blackout periods). Personally I value those benefits over some of the other advantages in other programs.
F seat release and the SST's willingness to engage in travel issues are by far the biggest drawcards for me.
Baghoarder likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If wanting to go to the US, AA EP members have access to additional availability for awards and upgrades for travel on AA
Following the AA forum, most ExecPlat can’t think of a time when they’ve had extra availability for awards. For upgrades of course you’re closer to the front of the line
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: QFF WP

A mate of mine is CL. Not because of flying, they do IT .... for QF.

Last flight out of DRW he was seated 7 rows behind me in 11. The CSM iPad was open as I boarded. It said 1 CL, 1 WP, some SG etc. I was the WP. My wife was in J as NB. J was empty other than my wife. I had my kids with me in row 4. If CL had a value would he not have been upgraded into the empty J cabin? 11 free seats and CL does not even get an exit!!

Love Qantas loyalty
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by seat_4D

Last flight out of DRW he was seated 7 rows behind me in 11. The CSM iPad was open as I boarded. It said 1 CL, 1 WP, some SG etc. I was the WP. My wife was in J as NB. J was empty other than my wife. I had my kids with me in row 4. If CL had a value would he not have been upgraded into the empty J cabin? 11 free seats and CL does not even get an exit!!

Love Qantas loyalty
I've had upgrades flying JAL, MH, BA, AA and even QR (!) as a WP. QF is the only OW airline that has never offered me a free upgrade. It's not like I expect free upgrades just for being WP but the complete absence of upgrades when other partner airlines seem to readily upgrade OWEs is a little odd, almost as though they know they'll get plenty of business from me anyway (and they're not necessarily wrong) so there's no point.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by seat_4D

Love Qantas loyalty
If he had wanted to fly businss class, he could have purchased a business class ticket or used miles to upgrade. CL is not a free business class upgrade card afaik

I thought that CL was able to get exit rows without paying extra - I could be wrong though - but if they were not taken, I suspect he could have selected those for free if he wanted to

It would not make sense, imo, to just give free upgrades - great way of discouraging purchase of business class tickets

Originally Posted by warreng
I've had upgrades flying JAL, MH, BA, AA and even QR (!) as a WP. QF is the only OW airline that has never offered me a free upgrade. It's not like I expect free upgrades just for being WP but the complete absence of upgrades when other partner airlines seem to readily upgrade OWEs is a little odd, almost as though they know they'll get plenty of business from me anyway (and they're not necessarily wrong) so there's no point.
perhaps Qantas is better at managing its loads so as not to have to do so many involuntary upgrades

I suspect that the other uprades were due to oversell situations whre the airline was moving passengers to accommodate bookings , rather than a desire to throw free business class upgrades out
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.