Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded A380 J class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded A380 J class

First ever FlyerTalk post after a long time lurking, so apologies if I get the etiquette wrong!

I am BAEC Silver/OWS, and usually fly QR these days between LHR and PER a couple times a year, after getting the hump with EK subsequent to 10 years of basically unrewarded loyalty and decreasing quality.

I am, however, flying LHR-PER return in J, with partner and son, on 14 April on QF2 into Singapore, then onto Perth on an A330. I hear at least one A380 has now been refurbed and can’t find online which one it is.

Is there any way of findng out? I’ll have flown the v comfortable (and brilliantly crewed) QR to PER two weeks previous and the idea of the old, tired A380 J class seats on Qantas does not excite me. Was hoping might get lucky with the upgraded version...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
This site may have the required information: A380-800 | The QANTAS Source
Breekom likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
@Breekom Welcome to FlyerTalk

No A380 has yet undergone any refurbishment.

They are due to start in two months or later.

Expect to be "unexcited".
zpaul, nancypants and Breekom like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes apologies - I was unclear. The new ones are due to start from March, and we fly April....
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hvr
This site may have the required information:
Thank you - I shall keep an eye out!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I think the first goes in in March and won’t be ready in April.

Even if if one is ready, your chances are 8.5% - not good odds.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I think the first goes in in March and won’t be ready in April.

Even if if one is ready, your chances are 8.5% - not good odds.
the first one is completed and goes into service in March, and I don’t think it’d be crazy to suggest Heathrow routes would be prioritised. We shall see!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Breekom

the first one is completed and goes into service in March, and I don’t think it’d be crazy to suggest Heathrow routes would be prioritised. We shall see!
The changes to the upper deck are significant and each aircraft would lokely be out of action for well over a month.

If the first went for refurbishment in March I would not expect it to be operational until at least May.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 10, 2019 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club

With respect that isn't correct.

The refurbishment program does not begin until March when the first one goes into the workshops. It will take some time. As mentioned above, the A330 refurbs took 1-2 months. It would not surprise if the A380 took 3.

All 12 have been flying over the last few days on southern hemisphere high season duty so there is not one out of service awaiting service in March.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
With respect that isn't correct.

The refurbishment program does not begin until March when the first one goes into the workshops. It will take some time. As mentioned above, the A330 refurbs took 1-2 months. It would not surprise if the A380 took 3.

All 12 have been flying over the last few days on southern hemisphere high season duty so there is not one out of service awaiting service in March.

Thanks for your clarification. This is what I read, via Head for Points, from a few days ago: ‘

‘It is around 18 months since Qantas announced the refurbishment of its A380 fleet, but only now is the first new-look aircraft getting close to taking to the skies. Flights are scheduled to start in March, with the full A380 fleet of 12 planes completed by the end of 2020.’
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Thanks for your clarification. This is what I read, via Head for Points, from a few days ago: ‘

‘It is around 18 months since Qantas announced the refurbishment of its A380 fleet, but only now is the first new-look aircraft getting close to taking to the skies. Flights are scheduled to start in March, with the full A380 fleet of 12 planes completed by the end of 2020.’
I would be managing your expectations! It took four years for Qantas to refurbish biz clas on thir A330s - they have 28 of those in total. And the major change was just to the first cabin with 28 seats. Thie A380 program will be more substantial - a lot more biz class, extra premium economy, new lounge at the front of the plane.

There is no guarantee London will be the first route, flights to the USA may be far more profitable for them.

To be honest, if you can change your current flight I would do it. The A380 beds suffer from a design issue which means they now droop - which means sleep can be very difficult. Better to go for an airline that can offer a full flat bed.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would be managing your expectations! It took four years for Qantas to refurbish biz clas on thir A330s - they have 28 of those in total. And the major change was just to the first cabin with 28 seats. Thie A380 program will be more substantial - a lot more biz class, extra premium economy, new lounge at the front of the plane.

There is no guarantee London will be the first route, flights to the USA may be far more profitable for them.

To be honest, if you can change your current flight I would do it. The A380 beds suffer from a design issue which means they now droop - which means sleep can be very difficult. Better to go for an airline that can offer a full flat bed.
Ha! Quite right. Sadly not worth adding to the already-spent cash to change, and especially now am going via Singapore not so easy to change to EK metal and have no interest in going BA J class. We will not suffer too badly, it’s all relative. And it should get me to BAEC Gold, so I shall keep that in mind.

Thank you again...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There is no guarantee London will be the first route, flights to the USA may be far more profitable for them...
And if the new config has a significant weight advantage over the old SkyBeds, then the most load restricted flights may be prioritised - such as DFW-SYD.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Its Xmas time, all A380s are flying..

As above first aircraft is scheduled for March 2019 and all will be completed by December 2020.
Assuming one at a time this averages out at 7 wks each, probably less if you assume nothing will be scheduled over Dec/Jan again and some aircraft also need to have repaints.
So my guess is 5-6 wks for the refurb, possibly a little longer for the first one as Airbus and Qantas work out all the issues.

While there may be small weight benefits, there are also more J and PE seats in the new config.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:39 pm

I'm in J on an A380 from LAX-MEL in early April, so that my hope for the debut appearance. But I know it won't happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.