Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Fastest way to reach Platinum (QF WP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

East Coast AUS friend who wants to earn Plat (1400SC). Obviously tried to talk him out of it, but he’s got a bit more free time... I thought (to be booked during double status credit time)
  • 1 Discount Business to Europe or Eastern US (280SC each way * 2 = 560 * 2 = 1,120).
  • +50 status credits @ 500SC = 1,170
  • 1 Business Medium intra-Australia (60SC each way * 2 = 120 * 2 = 240) = 1,410.
Reckon that’s A$6-8k. Other ideas?

Last edited by shuuy; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Without double SC you can do it with AONE4 fare with creative routing. Harder now with lack of A inventory and fare has gone up, but would be more fun as a trip with time to spare. I used to fly on a brutal schedule, sleeping more nights in air than in hotel room, and made WP in 8 days, not quite the first week of membership year (that got me CIP those years better than WP1). Don't do that now, thankfully, flying F isn't fun now days.
shuuy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I separated this from a 2008 thread since too many things have changed since then. [/mod hat]
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Qantas
If your mate is going to do it, it also needs to be timed for maximum benefit. I booked in February DSC offer for 1st two weekends in May which made me Platinum until April 2020. I've collected 2.5 million points since March 16 and had a couple of redemptions in mind with a first class trip just completed to the US. I did ADL - BRI - MEL - SYD - NOU and return in J from a Thursday to Sunday which netted 820 SC. Someone else booked 30 minutes before I did so missed the cheapest price but it was $1,285 and I paid $1800. The following weekend for something different, I used points to get to Perth, did PER - MEL - SYD - NOU - BRI - ADL gaining another 540 SC for $1300 and then had one bonus of 50 SC.

Total cost including all accomodation, car hire and Uber rides were under $4k so don't think it could be done any cheaper than that. Qantas has now found out about the costing of the status run and it is now about $3k.

My thoughts will soon turn to meeting the minimum flight requirements after May next year and see if I'll soft land back to Gold or crash back to bronze. If I drop to gold, I might book another run for the following year if I then drop to Silver.

Regards,

Michael
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
With DSC a simple NZ-Europe return is enough. These can be NZ$7500ish when on sale.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Volvo Mike
If your mate is going to do it, it also needs to be timed for maximum benefit. I booked in February DSC offer for 1st two weekends in May which made me Platinum until April 2020. I've collected 2.5 million points since March 16 and had a couple of redemptions in mind with a first class trip just completed to the US. I did ADL - BRI - MEL - SYD - NOU and return in J from a Thursday to Sunday which netted 820 SC. Someone else booked 30 minutes before I did so missed the cheapest price but it was $1,285 and I paid $1800. The following weekend for something different, I used points to get to Perth, did PER - MEL - SYD - NOU - BRI - ADL gaining another 540 SC for $1300 and then had one bonus of 50 SC.

Total cost including all accomodation, car hire and Uber rides were under $4k so don't think it could be done any cheaper than that. Qantas has now found out about the costing of the status run and it is now about $3k.
Multi-segment to Fiji - nice!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Multi-segment to Fiji - nice!
*New Caledonia

There were 3 others doing Status runs on the return from Noumea including 1 that was on the same 4 return flights back to Adelaide. It was his booking that increased the cost of mine.

I stayed overnight in Noumea and hired a car whereas the other 3 came on the same plane from Sydney and then returned straight away.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I pick up a lot of mine on domestic connections. Eg: typical trip of NTL-BNE-SIN-SGN-HKG-DEL-CMB-SIN-BNE-NTL.

If the domestic sectors were in J, during a double SC period you would really rack them up. If he's SYD based doing SYD-BNE or SYD-MEL then international would help a lot. Including on the return leg.

Bonus: If you don't have F lounge access, flying out of BNE means a MUCH better and MUCH cleaner lounge experience.
QF WP likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
*New Caledonia

the other 3 came on the same plane from Sydney and then returned straight away.
How easy is it to do an immediate NOU turnaround?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:00 am

No dramas at all. It's like a small country airport. The plane is turned around in an hour and with carry on only, you're back in the lounge in 10 minutes.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: NZ
.... I've collected 2.5 million points since March 16 ....
WOW that's a lot points in less than three years!

You must have done a lot of travelling or do have some secrets there too?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:44 am

Less than 100k came from travelling...

Good credit rating and good debt. Multiple credit cards and sign up bonuses. Keep rotating cards for maximum effect.

2 first class redemptions in 2018, Emirates to Auckland and Qantas to JFK. I fly for fun. Looking at a possible trip to LHR in first aswell this year.
minz56 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Without double SC you can do it with AONE4 fare with creative routing.
Originally Posted by shillard
I pick up a lot of mine on domestic connections. Eg: typical trip of NTL-BNE-SIN-SGN-HKG-DEL-CMB-SIN-BNE-NTL.

If the domestic sectors were in J, during a double SC period you would really rack them up. If he's SYD based doing SYD-BNE or SYD-MEL then international would help a lot. Including on the return leg.

Bonus: If you don't have F lounge access, flying out of BNE means a MUCH better and MUCH cleaner lounge experience.
Just be *very* careful if looking to book using any upcoming DSC. Of late QF have stipulated that DSCs only apply to QF Flight Numbers *and* QF Operated Flights - this would rule out code-shares on non-QF metal.

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959
Just be *very* careful if looking to book using any upcoming DSC. Of late QF have stipulated that DSCs only apply to QF Flight Numbers *and* QF Operated Flights - this would rule out code-shares on non-QF metal.

Regards,

BD
Oh wow, so what happens to routes like POM-BNE where service is 95% local carrier such as Air Niugini (PX), and in which QF is a major shareholder/investor? I've made use of DSC runs a while back going through that region.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Oh wow, so what happens to routes like POM-BNE where service is 95% local carrier such as Air Niugini (PX), and in which QF is a major shareholder/investor? I've made use of DSC runs a while back going through that region.
Under the terms I've outlined they wouldn't qualify for Double SCs. Nor would QF flight numbers of EK CHC-SYD or any of the numerous QF code-shares on EK metal to Europe. Such was the case of the DSC promo which ran February 1-5 2018.

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.