Qantas - 2 Hr transfer at SYD?

Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Qantas - 2 Hr transfer at SYD?

Hey guys/girls,

First, I apologize for another one of these transfer time threads, but you know, desperate times! I am trying to figure out the best PER to SYD tix to book to make my SYD-DFW flight on the 20th that leaves SYD at 14:40.
  • There's only one Qantas flight from PER to SYD on Sunday AM, and it gets into SYD at 12:55pm. What are my chances of making my flight to DFW at 14:40? I want to book PER to SYD through Qantas so i can "link" the bookings if that's possible. I'm only traveling with a carry-on so no need to deal with luggage.
Thank you
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are making a through booking of Perth to Dalas/Forth Worth - no issue

it looks like you are making 2 separate bookings though, I wouldn't risk it unless the SYD-DFW ticket is a flexible fare with no change penalties / fare differences and a good chance of availability on a later flight - 1 hour delay and you could be looking at quite an expense

How much would it cost to change the SYD-DFW flight to be PER-DFW via SYD ?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are making a through booking of Perth to Dalas/Forth Worth - no issue

it looks like you are making 2 separate bookings though, I wouldn't risk it unless the SYD-DFW ticket is a flexible fare with no change penalties / fare differences and a good chance of availability on a later flight - 1 hour delay and you could be looking at quite an expense

How much would it cost to change the SYD-DFW flight to be PER-DFW via SYD ?
I'm not making a through booking - i have no status with Qantas so I went with a super cheap tix from IAD-DFW-SYD and back and already upgraded to exit row seats so i can stretch out a bit on a ridiculously long flight with no hopes of sleeping in comfort haha. I was hoping that if I book PER-SYD with Qantas they would link my bookings so it would act as one booking - PER-SYD-DFW-IAD. I read that Qantas have done this before, fools gold?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Your transfer will be quite simple since you have carry on. I just did it on Friday

On line check in both flights

your Perth flight will come in terminal 2-3 , go to baggage claim and head outside , look for the orange sign with a T on it. That’s the terminal transfer bus to terminal 1

head theough security and you are set , Oz security op is a lot different than the TSA , faster processing

2 hours is heaps

now as others have mentioned if you get a delay you might be screwed.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Serpent
I'm not making a through booking - i have no status with Qantas so I went with a super cheap tix from IAD-DFW-SYD and back and already upgraded to exit row seats so i can stretch out a bit on a ridiculously long flight with no hopes of sleeping in comfort haha. I was hoping that if I book PER-SYD with Qantas they would link my bookings so it would act as one booking - PER-SYD-DFW-IAD. I read that Qantas have done this before, fools gold?
The 2 separate bookings will remain as 2 separate bookings
If you are late and miss the SYD-DFW flight, you will be up for cost of change fees and any fare difference to rebook onto another flight to the USA

I really wouldn't risk such a short connection on separate tickets
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Your transfer will be quite simple since you have carry on. I just did it on Friday

On line check in both flights

your Perth flight will come in terminal 2-3 , go to baggage claim and head outside , look for the orange sign with a T on it. Thats the terminal transfer bus to terminal 1
Isnt it possible to remain airside and do the qantas seamless transfer? I havent done it since the transfer bus has been free, mind, may not be a time saver?

OP you should be able to change your flight from SYD origin to PER origin for $225 plus fare difference (if applicable)
shuuy and fakecd like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
OP you should be able to change your flight from SYD origin to PER origin for $225 plus fare difference (if applicable)
Thank you, i gave them a call and got PER-IAD done at $288, including another flight from SYD to PER. Qantas CS was excellent, much better than some other CS i've had the pleasure of speaking to.
nancypants, deeruck and fakecd like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by nancypants

Isnt it possible to remain airside and do the qantas seamless transfer? I havent done it since the transfer bus has been free, mind, may not be a time saver?

You are correct yes there is a quantas transfer bus but with separate pnr Im not sure if you can use it, OP has the advantage of no luggage to transfer from each pnr so maybe that is possible , I know the other way would work and the transfer bus would be better if Qantas allows
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, I gave them a call and got PER-IAD done at $288, including another flight from SYD to PER. Qantas CS was excellent, much better than some other CS I've had the pleasure of speaking to.
A very good out come if you have PER-SYD-DFW-IAD as 1 ticket/PNR. $288 is a good price for SYD PER & PER-SYD

• There's only one Qantas flight from PER to SYD on Sunday AM, and it gets into SYD at 12:55pm. What are my chances of making my flight to DFW at 14:40? I want to book PER to SYD through Qantas so I can "link" the bookings if that's possible. I'm only traveling with a carry-on so no need to deal with luggage.
With carry on luggage read & comply with the ticket t&c's. Carry-on in Australia is no where near what is common & acceptable for USA airlines.
QF & other Australian airlines recently have been enforcing the carry on weight & size limits. Thread link-->Weighing all wheelie cases

However with separate reservations QF will transfer checked luggage QF-->QF as an exception to the OW policy of Sept 2016
Link---> QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

. I was hoping that if I book PER-SYD with Qantas they would link my bookings so it would act as one booking - PER-SYD-DFW-IAD. I read that Qantas have done this before, fools gold?
"Linking" is just text notes in a reservation that some one may or may not read. Does not have the effect of making one PNR. Separate reservations are separate reservations

Do you realise at SYD T3 (domestic) & T1 (international) are some distance away from each other?
You will be able to use the free QF bus between the terminals, even on separate tickets if you have no checked baggage to pick up/check-in.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

Transfer time of 1:45 (14:40 12:55) would have been high risk on separate tickets. Flights to USA have additional security checks. The consequences of no showing the SYD DFW flight are high.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 6, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With carry on luggage read & comply with the ticket t&c's. Carry-on in Australia is no where near what is common & acceptable for USA airlines.
QF & other Australian airlines recently have been enforcing the carry on weight & size limits. Thread link-->Weighing all wheelie cases
Thanks for the very detailed post!
To answer your question, yes, i realized the Int and domestic terminals are ways away and i read about the QF transfer but people seem split on if that is indeed faster than free shuttle.
Also thank you for the weight and size limit of the carry-on. i'm gonna stick my laptop on my carry-on, I assume QF will weigh my carryon minus the laptop like everyone else.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
My tip will be more $$$, and probably not acceptable by the others. but personally, I would get the afternoon prior trip from PER to SYD, get to SYD late afternoon/early evening/evening, get from T3 to T1, stay at the Rydges, and get your flight to DFW.
Rydges at SYD airport T1 not cheap, but because there is only one QF flight SYD - DFW, I would not play with it, even if its a through connection.
OR if you want, get the red eye from PER - SYD leaving before midnight, get to SYD T3 at 5.30am or 6am, that will give some time to get to T1.
The QF bus is quite good if you have a few hrs between flights, but if you only have 2.5 more or less, I would be really swearing under my breath on that bus.
Have done the service several times, even if they say the service is every 15 mins, or 20 mins, sometimes they wait till the bus fills up before leaving T3 gate 15 to get to T1.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:58 pm

Personally, I would not go out of T3 QF dom secure zone, and just use the QF transfer bus.
If you go out into the open zone, you are practically "fighting" with VA and the other airline's pax to use the free service.
Even with HLO, and same PNR all the way to the US, or on 2 separate PNR (PER - SYD), and then SYD - DFW.
(**IF**) you decide to get to SYD the night before, then maybe getting out into the open zone at T3 and getting the free shuttle (not QF), might be required, but if you get the red eye, stick in the T3 dom secure zone, ask the girl/guy at gate 15 if you can use the QF transfer bus though, they can say yes, or no, either the night before or flying the red eye.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:12 pm

I read your post as a bit different, didn't realise that SYD - US is already booked.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:20 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I read your post as a bit different, didn't realise that SYD - US is already booked.
Yea, unfortunately i have a wedding in Perth and I can't leave on the redeye at 11:15pm. So i'll be leaving sunday AM from PER-SYD and hope for the best. I'm going to be checked-in all the way to IAD on Qantas so i shouldnt have a problem taking the QF bus.

You said the bus was at gate 15 right?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You said the bus was at gate 15 right?
Yes. QF bus leaves from SYD domestic terminal gate 15 (airside). Takes you to SYD T1 international landside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.