Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago ? Why not!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Chicago ? Why not!

Just curious if anybody has the background on QFs plans (or not!) to serve Chicago? I note Air New Zealand fly there, I would have thought if they could sustain the route Qantas could to Sydney.

I've had a look online and there doesn't appear to be anything about Qantas serving Chicago anytime soon, have they previously advised why they dont find this destination attractive? Large city, lots of corporate offices etc
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was in the system for a while (~2002-2003-2004). They sold tickets, but cancelled before starting the service.
FT threads:--
11 Dec 2002 Chicago flights now in system
12 Apr 2004 QF to Chicago
Originally Posted by number_6
I was ticketed on QF94 ORD-MEL for travel this month (April 2004), so QF had gone as far as selling tickets before deciding to not operate the flight (for the 2nd year in a row). Given that the aircraft is on the ground (idle) in LAX already, and AA has been cutting back on ORD-LAX service, this puzzles me. I can only presume that Oneworld wants to give UA a break and keep them going that much longer. For whatever reason, QF cancelled the flight wthin a week or 2 of its inauguration, for the 2nd year in a row (yes, they did the same thing in 2003). Moving it from AKL-LAX-DFW to MEL-LAX-ORD makes sense (compete with UA instead of diverting feed from AA, also maybe lots of cargo lift potential LAX-ORD, also an alternative to the kangaroo route by offering MEL-ORD-LHR). I suppose AA provides plenty of feed ORD-LAX and QF decided it wasn't worth the staffing hassle for this short sector (I suppose it requires another full set of cabin and flight crew for the rotation).
Still being considered as a non stop from Australia. A new service may cannibalise existing flights--> no additional passengers Aust<---->USA
AKL ORD is a shorter route http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AKL-ORD...&RC=navy&DU=mi

Aug 2018 https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plan...ago-or-seattle
Qantas CEO Alan Joyce is confident that the airline will launch direct flights to Chicago as part of a joint venture with American Airlines, pending approval of the tie-up by the US Department of Transport.

However, Joyce also hedges that should the DoT not provide anti-trust immunity so that the two airlines can coordinate on flight schedules and pricing, Seattle could get the nod for the non-stop Boeing 787 service which would run daily from Brisbane.
<snip>
Sept 2018 https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...w-nonstop.html
Australian flag carrier Qantas is moving closer to launching nonstop service between Chicago and Australia.
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 3, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum
Mr Joyce is on record as saying that Qantas is considering flights to Chicago but it is dependant upon the QF/AA Joint Venture being approved by authorities. If the JV is not approved, then Seattle is Plan B.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Has QF got a spare couple of 789s sitting around with nowhere to go? Or is there enough time for a 789 that might otherwise spend the day in SFO or LAX to do a ORD return?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Becky1
Mr Joyce is on record as saying that Qantas is considering flights to Chicago but it is dependant upon the QF/AA Joint Venture being approved by authorities. If the JV is not approved, then Seattle is Plan B.
As long as it doesn't actually have to properly compete, it will fly there then - hopefully the authorities will continue to prohibit any more cabals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.