Unsuccessful in reserving a bassinet

Old Jan 3, 19, 6:12 am
09R
Original Poster

Unsuccessful in reserving a bassinet

Hi all,

Just wanted to get feedback on how to pursue a complaint.

We have flown QF9/10 3 times now in the past 6 months (QF9 twice and QF10 once) with 2 young children and an infant <1yr). On each occasion, we requested a bassinet at time of booking, and arrived at the airport early. Each time at check in, we were told that all bassinets had been "pre-allocated" (even though we weren't given this option over the phone) and that all positions were already occupied by "higher priority" infants - i.e. younger than ours.

However, each time we boarded the flight, we found at least 1 bassinet position not occupied by passengers travelling with infants. On one occasion, all three positions were occupied by adults only. This is extremely frustrating, especially when holding an infant for 17 hours straight! We last flew this flight on 1 Jan 2019 and thought we will do everything we can to get the bassinet. This led us to the Qantas service desk at PER. They told us that the reality of the situation is that Gold and Plat members have priority over those seats ahead of infants and that there was nothing they could do. This seams contrary to Qantas' stated policy.

So really my questions are:

1. Why didn't Qantas allocate us the bassinet?
2. Do status passengers have priority over infants? If not, why wasn't the protocol followed and why didn't the service desk help us?
3. Why don't Qantas allow bassinets to be reserved at the time of booking (like CX and BA)? This seems the fairest way to do things and avoids all of the unnecessary uncertainty they have created on the day of travel.

Also if it would be worth me taking things further or if I would be wasting my time?

Happy to answer any questions if I have missed any details
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If I was in your position, I’d complain to QF and pointing out that BA and CX will allow such reservations and you’d like a reason to fly long haul on QF again since you have been given the run around. I’d also expect to get nowhere.

Easiest solution is to fly on CX or BA in the future.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
QF's "offiicial" policy (at least as it has been stated to me) is that any seat assignments for a bassinet seat for pax without an infant are strictly conditional, and may be cancelled without notice if other pax with an infant request the seat. In international J, I have frequently been declined access to a vacant bassinet seat even a few hours before flight time, which is mildly absurd, given that the bassinets in J are rarely used.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whughes3 View Post
... I have frequently been declined access to a vacant bassinet seat even a few hours before flight time, which is mildly absurd, given that the bassinets in J are rarely used.
Gate upgrades, staff travelling with kids, last minute reshuffling of revenue pax on irrops, relief pilots needing to be near the front. All could need that bassinet seat..
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og View Post

Gate upgrades, staff travelling with kids, last minute reshuffling of revenue pax on irrops, relief pilots needing to be near the front. All could need that bassinet seat..
Qantas does have , I believe, highest priority for those travelling with infants

I was making a booking recently for someone travelling with an infant and since it hadn't been taken by someone already needing it for an infant, was able to get the bassinet position confirmed with an agent over the telephone

My understanding is that Gold or Platinum members may have an ability to reserve them, if someone with an infant books, the status passenger can be ejected
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
...My understanding is that Gold or Platinum members may have an ability to reserve them, if someone with an infant books, the status passenger can be ejected
ISTR anecdotes suggesting high risk for selecting bassinet seats - as you say.
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by og View Post

None of these NEED the bassinet seat. To my observation they tend to get allocated to last minute upgrades.
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
CL & P1 can generally reserve bassinet seats online in economy.

Others may need to wait until T-80 (hours) when seat maps can 'open up'.
Old Jan 4, 19, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by serfty View Post

Any passenger ( for an international flight at least ) can reserve a bassinet poosition by telephone if they have a booking with an infant and can displace status passengers if they have booked them already
Old Jan 4, 19, 3:34 am

I don't know about CLs, but as P1 bassinets are the only seats I cannot select.
Maybe it's different when check in opens, but I tend to avoid them anyway for the reason given above.
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:00 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty View Post

THIS is the problem.
qf are reluctant to move a WP1 / CL from a bassinet seat.
was told to me by the manager at the QF checkin in PER.

asked to be assigned bassinet J seat - i am travelling with 18month old infant. "
agent: "sorry its occupied"
me: "not its not (i can see seatmap from expertflyer"
agent: "let me speak with manager"

manager: "those seats are reserved for WP1 / CL. your infant at 18months is too old. we can give it to you now but know that if there was a WP1 / CL there we would not have moved them"

find it a ridiculous policy tbh. they dont let parents pre-select bassinet seats in advance and you got to do this negotiation at the airport. yet i find airport staff to be not that helpful (unless you are wp1 / cl).

so my advisce s like others have said - if you want certainty, fly SQ / CX. too bad i couldnt avoid QF on the domestic J legs
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Any passenger ( for an international flight at least ) can reserve a bassinet poosition by telephone if they have a booking with an infant and can displace status passengers if they have booked them already
cannot recall international.

but certainly on domestic this is not possible (i have tried calling)
Old Jan 5, 19, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ermen View Post
cannot recall international.

but certainly on domestic this is not possible (i have tried calling)
Only have done it for interntional services. Not sure about domestic ones

Search this Thread