Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Dreadful SYD T3 Lounge makes me long for an Admirals Club or even a United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dreadful SYD T3 Lounge makes me long for an Admirals Club or even a United Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
During the holiday weeks over Christmas and New Year, where Qantas has both a Qantas Club and a Business domestic lounge at the airport (eg MEL, SYD, CBR, BNE, PER), they often close one of those lounges and direct all to the other one. They usually close the Qantas Club. This year they did that in at least MEL, CBR and SYD. I noted however that in CBR on one day they closed the Qantas Club but 2 days later it was the Business lounge that was closed.

The lounge staff invariably state the reason is maintenance. Due to some cracked tiles seems to be a common extra bit of information.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What impressed me the most was the photo of the GRILL, I wouldn't want to be the next pax receiving one of its delicacies.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks mikalee. I'm hardly an AA fanboy, as I hate the new AA and the fact that USdbaAA management has trashed a historically good domestic product, but the current generation of Admirals Clubs are far cleaner and more civilized than what I witnessed in SYD.
Your points are well made. No excuse for the filth. The food options however are very subjective. On the comparison to AA lounge, probably not an apples to apples comparison (or should that be carrots to carrots ). I am sure the QF domestic lounges would be far more civilized if QF elites (Gold and Platinum) could not enter when travelling on domestic itineraries.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
I’m impressed that ingredients are provided for fresh juice. In my book that’s above and beyond anything I’ve seen in most domestic USA lounges.
moa999 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:36 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by lokijuh
<snip> I am sure the QF domestic lounges would be far more civilized if QF elites (Gold and Platinum) could not enter when travelling on domestic itineraries.
Given virtually all Australian international airports have discrete terminals for domestic and international passengers then who should be allowed to frequent the domestic lounges? Also, the MEL-SYD route is one of the busiest domestic routes in the world and lounges are an important part of the business travellers' requirements.

I've travelled through SYD domestic many times and have never seen the J lounge in that state, looks like they had a very bad day.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Hvr
Given virtually all Australian international airports have discrete terminals for domestic and international passengers then who should be allowed to frequent the domestic lounges? Also, the MEL-SYD route is one of the busiest domestic routes in the world and lounges are an important part of the business travellers' requirements.

I've travelled through SYD domestic many times and have never seen the J lounge in that state, looks like they had a very bad day.
The comparison was being made with AA lounges where AA Sapphires (platinum) and Emeralds (exec platinum) cannot access lounges when flying domestically. They need to have an Admirals Club membership to use the lounges.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
And then there was the food offerings and the masses jockeying for position to scoop up the slop being offered.
Do you have Priority Pass? I was through that terminal three times in November and rather enjoyed my meals at Bar Roma, which I hit before or after Qantas Club visits. Photos are here: SYD T3 Bar Roma (Qantas domestic) - Priority Pass
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by vbroucek
many of the photos posted by OP are in the breach of Australian privacy laws and I call on moderators to act! Also reported directly!
Can you expand on how that works in public places? Would it be the same if I took a photo with 25 people in front of the Opera House, on board the ferry to Parramatta, or at a sporting event? When are you allowed to take photos with groups of people in the background?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:27 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am amazed someone thinks it's appropriate to post photos of other unsuspecting pax without their consent, including children.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If people choose to use spaces where other members of the public may congregate, then they have to accept that they may be photographed
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I will agree with a previous poster - many of the photos posted by OP are in the breach of Australian privacy laws and I call on moderators to act! Also reported directly!
Originally Posted by tom911
Can you expand on how that works in public places? Would it be the same if I took a photo with 25 people in front of the Opera House, on board the ferry to Parramatta, or at a sporting event? When are you allowed to take photos with groups of people in the background?
[mod hat] Australian law generally does not grant a person the right to their own image (with some exceptions). So it is normally okay to photograph people in public spaces without their consent and then publish those pictures for non-commercial purposes without their consent. I will seek further advise on this topic before I will decide if the OP has to remove some of the pictures. Please refrain from discussing this point further in this thread but please send me a PM if you have additional information in regards to this. [/mod hat]
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:07 pm

. On this trip, we did experience the MEL domestic Qantas Club (meh), the BNE international Lounge (nice but small and crowded when they decide not to open the 2nd level... and far, far away from QF55 and Gate 86)

And what's with the no alcohol before noon thing? Is that some local law or just QF trying to limit costs? I do like the "Thank you for your patience" humour though.
Don't want to sound like I'm sticking up for Qantas but I'll point out a few things...

Domestically they've got two different levels of lounges
The Qantas Club (similar to an AA Club) - OW Saphire and paid up memberships access this letter lounge

The Business Lounge - OWE and Domestic Business Class only. Slightly better moves spaces so if you only went to the Melbourne Club lounge then you've missed out here.

Regarding the weird gate arrangement in Brisbane, gate 86 is normally used by Qantas for US bound flights as it's easiest with the extra screening the US require at the gate. HA's flights to Honolulu sometimes use gates 80 or 81 in front of the lounges and it just becomes a total mess.

Finally regarding the alcohol 12pm time... Some of that comes down to licensing. Some Qantas domestic lounges have 24/7 licenses but apparently not all of them. It given your visiting over the holidays it's quiter however I'd imagine there'd be many takers before 12pm, something Qantas would be keen to avoid.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Seems you've had a thread started on AFF in your honour https://www.australianfrequentflyer....e-world.92285/
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by nrr
What impressed me the most was the photo of the GRILL, I wouldn't want to be the next pax receiving one of its delicacies.
Those appeared a few years ago. They are for making toasted sandwiches only. They actually don't get too bad. They, sort-of, self clean I suppose?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by henrus
Don't want to sound like I'm sticking up for Qantas but I'll point out a few things...
Domestically they've got two different levels of lounges
The Qantas Club (similar to an AA Club) - OW Sapphire and paid up memberships access this letter lounge
The Business Lounge - OWE and Domestic Business Class only. Slightly better moves spaces so if you only went to the Melbourne Club lounge then you've missed out here.
Regarding the weird gate arrangement in Brisbane, gate 86 is normally used by Qantas for US bound flights as it's easiest with the extra screening the US require at the gate. HA's flights to Honolulu sometimes use gates 80 or 81 in front of the lounges and it just becomes a total mess.
Finally regarding the alcohol 12pm time... Some of that comes down to licensing. Some Qantas domestic lounges have 24/7 licenses but apparently not all of them. It given your visiting over the holidays it's quiter however I'd imagine there'd be many takers before 12pm, something Qantas would be keen to avoid.
Thanks very much henrus for your comments. Appreciate the primer on the lounges. And the BNE gate arrangement for LAX makes sense given the configuration of the terminal. Certainly easier when try to fulfill the ridiculous TSA screening mandates. Although the entire process at the gate on Wednesday was pretty chaotic, and a little reminiscent of The Gong Show.

Seems you've had a thread started on AFF in your honour https://www.australianfrequentflyer....e-world.92285/
LOL. Thanks m0hamed for the heads up and the link. Some pretty funny posts.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
To be fair: I have always thought that the J Lounge at T3 had dirty carpet on 100% of my visits, there are always crumbs on the floor. The issue is the morning international pax transferring to domestic makes it very busy. The staff do their best to sweep but it needs to be vacuumed throughout the day.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
To be fair: I have always thought that the J Lounge at T3 had dirty carpet on 100% of my visits, there are always crumbs on the floor. The issue is the morning international pax transferring to domestic makes it very busy. The staff do their best to sweep but it needs to be vacuumed throughout the day.
QF’s choice of carpet looks good - but everything dropped stands out. Now if the only the award winning interior designers had checked out any old pub carpet, the appearance of the QF lounge would be vastly different (and you might just be sticking to the carpet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.