USA/EUROPE timings and price

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum
USA/EUROPE sales timings and price

Hey peeps,

does anyone know when QF normally have a big sales for travel to the states and uk? What’s the lowest business class fare you’d scored in the past?

Thanks! and happy holiday!

Last edited by Lexolot; Dec 28, 2018 at 9:36 am Reason: Forgot to insert sales
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lexolot
Does anyone know when QF normally have a big sales for travel to the States and UK? What’s the lowest business class fare you’d scored in the past?
I think QF had a sale a few weeks ago, at least for economy.
Business fares do not vary as much as economy. People who pay for business class are not choosing the airline based on saving $10 (like those in economy who will)
Are you looking for fares ex NZ? (NZ in your profile)
QF will not be cheapest NZ to UK/EU. Look a the Asian airlines or even EK
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Check UA for Biz fares SYD/MEL to EWR. Sometimes very well priced and substantially cheaper than QF to JFK.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Yed based in NZ. I try to keep my QF platinum and try to fly QF as much as possible to get the max status credit and points.

QR has really good fares all year round around 6-7k Kiwi to LHR. Unfortunately the earn rate on QR with QF is absolutely terrible.

I seem to recall seeing fares in the range of 6-7k from QF in the past?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..Yes based in NZ. I try to keep my QF platinum and try to fly QF as much as possible to get the max status credit and points.
What will QF plat do for you that QF gold does not? A few extra QF ff points on fights?
What extra in hard cash money is it costing you to stay loyal to QF? Or would you get better value/enjoyment for that money by spending it elsewhere?
QF ffp is poor compared to some others. But better than Air NZ ffp (that's not hard)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for all the replies.

Yed based in NZ. I try to keep my QF platinum and try to fly QF as much as possible to get the max status credit and points.

QR has really good fares all year round around 6-7k Kiwi to LHR. Unfortunately the earn rate on QR with QF is absolutely terrible.

I seem to recall seeing fares in the range of 6-7k from QF in the past?
8k for NZ to Europe is about as good as it gets on QF.

In contrast, a number of other airlines regularly offer fares around 5-6k and sometimes even less.

AA sometimes has decent fares and might offer better SC earning than QR/MH/BA/CX (since QF doesn't compete on the trans-Atlantic leg).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
you're more likely to find decent US fares on QF than fares to Europe. last year I flew to JFK for circa 5.2k in business return via Sydney and LAX

usually there are sales every few months to LAX for 4.5k ish, JFK is rarer and more usually around the 6-7k mark. Europe is always at least 7.5k+ and you're better off flying CX or QR if you need OW status, both are 6k ish
​​
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed - if travelling business class, will get access to lounges et al - may even be able to find decent value 1st class fares in line with what Qantas tries to get away with

1st lounges can be nicer than business lounges, but given that I would be trying to minimise time in airports and quite a few places have no 1st lounges, would not fret over lack of platinum status

If earnings on other airlines is poor , perhaps might be worth considering looking at other schemes to credit to once found the best flights
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What will QF plat do for you that QF gold does not? A few extra QF ff points on fights?
What extra in hard cash money is it costing you to stay loyal to QF? Or would you get better value/enjoyment for that money by spending it elsewhere?
QF ffp is poor compared to some others. But better than Air NZ ffp (that's not hard)
Agree that QFF isn’t great but it’s pretty easy to get lifetime gold. With 2x status credit promos it’s easier to attend higher status which for me personally has some real tangible benefits (eg stunning first class lounge in SYD x).

Also a few times when my AA flights got cancelled I was handled reasonably okay compared to others whom were told to ring insurance companies.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
you're more likely to find decent US fares on QF than fares to Europe. last year I flew to JFK for circa 5.2k in business return via Sydney and LAX

usually there are sales every few months to LAX for 4.5k ish, JFK is rarer and more usually around the 6-7k mark. Europe is always at least 7.5k+ and you're better off flying CX or QR if you need OW status, both are 6k ish
​​
oh oh this is gold! Do you remember when the promo ran last year?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed - if travelling business class, will get access to lounges et al - may even be able to find decent value 1st class fares in line with what Qantas tries to get away with

1st lounges can be nicer than business lounges, but given that I would be trying to minimise time in airports and quite a few places have no 1st lounges, would not fret over lack of platinum status

If earnings on other airlines is poor , perhaps might be worth considering looking at other schemes to credit to once found the best flights
I used to be with CX but CX became quite poor service wise and devalued their programme. QFF is poor value and there isn’t any CC in NZ which earns QFF points. I mostly use them to upgrade to first and get cleared quite quickly.

I wonder which FFP would be better for Kiwis? Or maybe I really need to start flying Star Alliance?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF WP is still better than QF SG but only you have to weigh up whether those extra benefits are worth the extra effort. Specifically, shorter phone wait times (used to be <1 minute, now thinking 5 to 10 minutes), better award availability (exceptionally valuable to me) and F lounge access. I do find *A generally cheaper than QF and also have better award availability. Its a balancing game.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I used to be with CX but CX became quite poor service wise and devalued their programme. QFF is poor value and there isn’t any CC in NZ which earns QFF points. I mostly use them to upgrade to first and get cleared quite quickly.

I wonder which FFP would be better for Kiwis? Or maybe I really need to start flying Star Alliance?
I would start by working out which airlines best meet travel needs / prices etc and then work on a FF plan , not vice versa

If travelling in premium cabins, I would suggest looking at the AA scheme if travelling on OneWorld Airlines. Will get miles , status bonuses and cabin bonuses

Travel doesn't have to be based on an alliance - it can be better to travel on independant airlines

Etihad looks to be good value at $6050 and QR is $6600 -- both will credit to AA ( though only QR would count towards attaining status )
Which airline is showin best fare/schedule/quality for AKL-LHR?
Mwenenzi and Lexolot like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
8k for NZ to Europe is about as good as it gets on QF.
In contrast, a number of other airlines regularly offer fares around 5-6k and sometimes even less.
Agree that QFF isn’t great but it’s pretty easy to get lifetime gold. With 2x status credit promos it’s easier to attend higher status which for me personally has some real tangible benefits (eg stunning first class lounge in SYD x).
$2K to $3K (8-5/6) extra is a lot to paying for a lounge visit.
Anyway if you have upgraded to QF first you get that by class of travel.
QF frequent flyers can upgrade family, even if they have a different ffn/ffp in their reservation. That family member may look like you.

To me mid level status is the sweet spot as it gets you lounge access, better check-in, extra ff miles/points and can have better award availability.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would start by working out which airlines best meet travel needs / prices etc and then work on a FF plan , not vice versa

If travelling in premium cabins, I would suggest looking at the AA scheme if travelling on OneWorld Airlines. Will get miles , status bonuses and cabin bonuses

Travel doesn't have to be based on an alliance - it can be better to travel on independant airlines

Etihad looks to be good value at $6050 and QR is $6600 -- both will credit to AA ( though only QR would count towards attaining status )
Which airline is showin best fare/schedule/quality for AKL-LHR?

Hapoy new year! Sorry for the late reply - flyertalk only allows me to post 5 posts max a day. QR, CX all offer very good schedule, QF too, just a bit pricy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.