Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing all wheelie cases

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I quite often see bags which would never fit the sizer, point in case (excuse the pun!) a very large duffel bag on last Thursday's 608 which nearly took my head off as I sat in my aisle seat. Surely these items contribute more to lack of overhead locker - which is the excuse touted by QF's Ministry of Truth - and are as much a H&S issue as a 500gm excessive weight wheelie?

QF's inconsistency at its finest.

Regards,

BD
shuuy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by og
This linked article says “up to 115 cm”. Nothing about “must fit the sizer”.
Originally Posted by og
My point is not about the procedure at the the gate or at the security line with the scales and sizer, it is that QF has produced an article that is focused on weight ONLY. It says nothing about goods fitting the sizer. I am saying that by not spending sufficient time in checking the article covers what the airline is trying to say, it makes them look disorganised - especially when passengers might quite reasonably say “I have this QF article that says ...115 cm and 7 kgs, but now I’m at the airport with 115 cm and 7 kgs and you throw in a sizer requirement - ... “.

It’s bait and switch (as per the above posting by L/M/E FF).
But could the article be construed as contractual in any way? The website (which is much more likely to be contractual) is more specific about what appear to be the maximum measurements in each of the three dimensions, and those then add up to 115 cm. In those circumstances, a sizer would be an effective practical way of measuring each of the three contractually maximum dimensions without "must fit in the sizer" having to be a specific contractual provision.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by shuuy
Are crew bags (pilots and flight attendants) subject to the weight restrictions?
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not as far as I know (if working), but there may well be internal QF policies applicable to staff. If ‘paxing’, I would assume yes.
But if it's a CASA issue with weight, to try and ensure cabin crew are safe and don't hurt themselves ... the logic would suggest that crew bags should have the same requirements...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
But if it's a CASA issue with weight, to try and ensure cabin crew are safe and don't hurt themselves ... the logic would suggest that crew bags should have the same requirements...
And there is where the whole argument falls apart...
shuuy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:22 pm

The next time I open an overhead, only to find it full of crew bags, I'll be tempted to try to rearrange ... just to see how heavy they compare with my own (which I hand-weigh at home to ensure compliance).

Regards,

BD
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF WP
It presumably can’t be a casa issue, at least not directly. Otherwise jetstar wouldn’t be able to have a 10kg hand baggage limit for an extra $$$

however if it’s an OH&S issue, seems entirely conceivable to me that staff bags WOULD have a limit but would be handled at “own risk” and therefore not enforced as such
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
It presumably can’t be a casa issue, at least not directly. Otherwise jetstar wouldn’t be able to have a 10kg hand baggage limit for an extra $$$

however if it’s an OH&S issue, seems entirely conceivable to me that staff bags WOULD have a limit but would be handled at “own risk” and therefore not enforced as such
AFAIK CASA don't specify a limit - they just advise the operators to specify one when they author the procedures.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by perthite; Feb 26, 2019 at 6:40 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by nancypants
I can handle my bags at my own risk too .
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:34 am

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-incr...tm_source=hero

​​​​​​Qantas is increasing the per-bag weight limit for cabin bags on domestic flights, with passengers now able to bring a carry-on bag as heavy as 10kg.

The new rules take effect from Monday 25 March and provide additional flexibility for travellers who have felt stymied by the current cap of 7kg per bag.

The total cabin baggage per passenger will remain pegged at 14kg across two bags, plus a small personal bag such as a satchel or slim briefcase.

However, the maximum weight of a single cabin bag increases from 7kg to 10kg – with the remaining 4kg available for a second bag if need be.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DH188
https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-incr...tm_source=hero

​​​​​​Qantas is increasing the per-bag weight limit for cabin bags on domestic flights, with passengers now able to bring a carry-on bag as heavy as 10kg....
QF says “safety comes first”. But they drummed into us that 7 kgs was the safe limit for bags (and therefore over 7 kgs is unsafe). Does this mean now that common sense and commercial pressure actually come first?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by og

QF says “safety comes first”. But they drummed into us that 7 kgs was the safe limit for bags (and therefore over 7 kgs is unsafe). Does this mean now that common sense and commercial pressure actually come first?
It means that - going forward - every QF announcement with respect to "policy" and "safety" will be questioned. This for a company that continues to pride itself on it's global safety-conscious image.

Slippery slope.

Regards,

BD
og and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:59 pm

Are crew bags (pilots and flight attendants) subject to the weight restrictions?
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not as far as I know (if working), but there may well be internal QF policies applicable to staff. If ‘paxing’, I would assume yes.
Maybe when crew boards the airplane, someone (for entertainment purposes) should ask them to weigh their bags to ensure they confirm with the size and weight limits... I'd gofundme the production of this...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The SMH version: https://www.smh.com.au/national/carr...08-p512pd.html

So QF Management acknowledge that heavy bags are dangerous (last quote in the SMH article), so its OK to make them almost 1.5 x more dangerous by going to 10 kgs. Perhaps the “media spin” work experience student should have given more thought on how to break the good / bad news.
shuuy and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by og
Second last sentence: The airline hopes the new policy will see passengers boarding with 10 kilograms in a single cabin-bag rather than split their load across two bags, which will free up space in the overhead luggage bins.

Which rocket scientist took 3 months to come to that conclusion? Take their bonus away.
Surely a simple question months ago to the Advisory Panel (what ramifications do you see from strictly enforcing carry-on weight at 7kg per piece?) would come to the same conclusion and have saved QF from this complete schmozzle.

Regards,

BD
og and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.