Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing all wheelie cases

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:58 pm

Have they been bothering to weigh backpacks recently? Do they weigh in at check-in or at the gate?

Mine will probably be slightly overweight. I could probably play games moving items around to my smaller hand bag, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Le Club, Bonvoy, Amplify
2 out of 3 Friday evening flights bris to melb in last few weeks I have had my carry on case weighed. Backpack has never been checked. Case has never been checked melb airport
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
I travelled on the 2nd day this was introduced and had a Customer Service Manager sitting beside me in J who was on duty travel. He told me that this initiative had been started by staff and via the union. It was solely about injury prevention and QF was reluctant to introduce it but finally conceded acknowledging that it would require a culture change and in the end it might speed up boarding months and years down the track whilst slowing it down initially.

I have no problems with it as the rules are clearly articulated.

I suspect VA will follow soon with a crack down as their staff association give it a push.

JQ are already tight with it and turned the scales into a huge money making exercise. I do like the coat and large pockets comment above.

Too add more to the intrigue and frustration of lack of consistent safety rules in the industry (or most industries) Easyjet have not had a carry on weight limit for many many years - it is unlimited in weight.

Cabin bags and hold luggage | easyJet
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Hey All,

I've read through quite a bit of this thread and was just curious as to what is going on here. Is there a push now for QF weighing all roller bags? I travel 2x per year to AU and regularly bring a bag that meets to the QF measurements but it is significantly over 7k. I'm a good packer and can pack for a whole week in one roller bag. I've never had it weighed although I do understand that if it was weighed I'd be forced to check. My flight isn't until May so I'll check back to see how things are at that point but just curious if this is in fact something that is happening. If that is the case I'll just pack my normal US roller bag and the check it during my AU domestic travel.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Hey All,

I've read through quite a bit of this thread and was just curious as to what is going on here. Is there a push now for QF weighing all roller bags? I travel 2x per year to AU and regularly bring a bag that meets to the QF measurements but it is significantly over 7k. I'm a good packer and can pack for a whole week in one roller bag. I've never had it weighed although I do understand that if it was weighed I'd be forced to check. My flight isn't until May so I'll check back to see how things are at that point but just curious if this is in fact something that is happening. If that is the case I'll just pack my normal US roller bag and the check it during my AU domestic travel.
so far there’s been weighing or enforcement on 0/~20 flights i’ve done
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by nancypants

Ahh ok, so it just seems to be some isolated incidents then. I'll check back as it gets closer.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Le Club, Bonvoy, Amplify
Originally Posted by nancypants

Lucky, it seems dependent on route .This year 0/5 Melb to Bris (Mon AM), 5/5 Bris to Melb (Thurs or Fri PM). From what I've seen in Bris it only seems to be the flight to Melb they are weighing too, no consistency. Last night even with the flight delayed nearly an hour they still insisted weighing every roller bag
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Just assume for do,est-il flights you may have to check the bag at the gate and pack accordingly.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Are crew bags (pilots and flight attendants) subject to the weight restrictions?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by shuuy
Are crew bags (pilots and flight attendants) subject to the weight restrictions?
Not as far as I know (if working), but there may well be internal QF policies applicable to staff. If ‘paxing’, I would assume yes.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:54 am

By coincidence...

" You’re permitted to bring seven kilograms with you on board every Qantas flight..."

" And with a little prior planning – and the right info – seven kilograms is all you need."

https://www.qantas.com/travelinsider...ght-limit.html (Posted Jan 23, 2019)

So you've been told.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
By coincidence...

" You’re permitted to bring seven kilograms with you on board every Qantas flight..."

" And with a little prior planning – and the right info – seven kilograms is all you need."

https://www.qantas.com/travelinsider...ght-limit.html (Posted Jan 23, 2019)

So you've been told.
This linked article says “up to 115 cm”. Nothing about “must fit the sizer”.

Back to the future.

Head doesnt know what the tail is doing. Perhaps QF media people shouldn’t take a bonus this year.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og

This linked article says “up to 115 cm”. Nothing about “must fit the sizer”.

Back to the future.

Head doesnt know what the tail is doing. Perhaps QF media people shouldn’t take a bonus this year.
Have fun arguing that when at the sizer where it does state clearly that the bag must fit in the sizer
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Have fun arguing that when at the sizer where it does state clearly that the bag must fit in the sizer
But as we all know - it's too late by then. You can't unilaterally go introducing new conditions after the contract has already been entered in to.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My point is not about the procedure at the the gate or at the security line with the scales and sizer, it is that QF has produced an article that is focused on weight ONLY. It says nothing about goods fitting the sizer. I am saying that by not spending sufficient time in checking the article covers what the airline is trying to say, it makes them look disorganised - especially when passengers might quite reasonably say “I have this QF article that says ...115 cm and 7 kgs, but now I’m at the airport with 115 cm and 7 kgs and you throw in a sizer requirement - ... “.

It’s bait and switch (as per the above posting by L/M/E FF).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.