Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing all wheelie cases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
Aus BT covers weight and size - pretty much in line with the majority of “sensable changes” covered by this (FT) thread.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-crac...rry-on-baggage
I don't see anything in that article that suggests any issue with luggage size - everything seems to be accuratley talking about the clampdown on overweight luggage - given that the scales (iiec) are combined with the sizer, I suspect that oversized bags are being captured too - the only reference to size that I see is mentioned that on Qantas, can take 2 pieces - not anything that I can see of the author combining excess weight and excess size iissues nto a single issue (id est conflating them )
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see anything in that article that suggests any issue with luggage size - everything seems to be accuratley talking about the clampdown on overweight luggage - given that the scales (iiec) are combined with the sizer, I suspect that oversized bags are being captured too - the only reference to size that I see is mentioned that on Qantas, can take 2 pieces - not anything that I can see of the author combining excess weight and excess size iissues nto a single issue (id est conflating them )
The article identified QF’s concern with overweight bags and the (IMHO) unintended consequence of pax complying with the 7 kgs rule by bringing additional bags into the cabin - with (my assumption) that as many as possible will go into the overheads. Not what is desirable in an evac given the tendency to grab bags before getting out. Not really what is intended by any airline.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:49 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Has anyone actually had experience with this so far, are they being strict or is it still BAU?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by og

The article identified QF’s concern with overweight bags and the (IMHO) unintended consequence of pax complying with the 7 kgs rule by bringing additional bags into the cabin - with (my assumption) that as many as possible will go into the overheads. Not what is desirable in an evac given the tendency to grab bags before getting out. Not really what is intended by any airline.
There was no conflating of the issues in the articles that I saw though
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Flew VA domestic yesterday ex-SYD. No checking of bag weights at check-in counter (was checking bags), lounge, or gate.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Flew VA domestic yesterday ex-SYD. No checking of bag weights at check-in counter (was checking bags), lounge, or gate.
I seem to recall reading in article that a big crackdown was starting from 17th
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zol
Has anyone actually had experience with this so far, are they being strict or is it still BAU?
Well, this very thread was started by someone who had their carryon weighed, so itis happening.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:20 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by perthite
Well, this very thread was started by someone who had their carryon weighed, so itis happening.
Yes but was wondering if it is being strictly adhered to (JQ style) or they are being lenient especially with status holders and if its across the country or only at certain locations.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zol
Yes but was wondering if it is being strictly adhered to (JQ style) or they are being lenient especially with status holders and if its across the country or only at certain locations.
One week ago there were no bag weighings on my QF SYD-(New Zealand) flight. The only attention to carry ons was for a red tag to be attached to the smaller item indicating it should go under the seat infront. IMHO the red tags are a waste of effort and don’t influence the owner on where the bags are stowed.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zol
From what I have read, no leniency (indeed may be the opposite, as some have reported it's the priority lane that is most policed)
I suspect, but have no proof, that it affects 737 services more than, say, A330 - which don't seem to have the same overhead constraints.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by perthite
From what I have read, no leniency (indeed may be the opposite, as some have reported it's the priority lane that is most policed)
I suspect, but have no proof, that it affects 737 services more than, say, A330 - which don't seem to have the same overhead constraints.
I suspect that that lane has the highest percentage of people that feel that the rules do not apply to them, so could be a good place to check
lokijuh, Reds2011 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I suspect that that lane has the highest percentage of people that feel that the rules do not apply to them, so could be a good place to check
Same goes for the miriad of pax on my TransTasman flight this morning who were most probably connecting at SYD to onward flights to Asia who had bulging heavy looking wheelie bags and several other bags (each). Oh, and also applies to the JQ crew deadheading to SYD whose bags were heavy enough so it took 2 QF FAs to struggle to close the overhead.

My Italian friend says “if we think a law is stupid, we ignore it when necessary”.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thumbs down

Size not weight problems this time!
I've been using the same roller bag for last 3 years...never a problem and bag rarely over 7-8kgs according to home scale. Purchased as it easily meets the 115cm rule.
Last week I got asked to weight the bag but it wouldn't fit in weigh scale frame. My bag is in total 110CM in size but instead of 23 cm deep, its 26 cm. The other two dimensions are a couple of cm under.

Of course I had to have a dragon at boarding who said sorry its "over size" needs to be checked in...I protested saying it easily fits in overhead locker and was only 5kg on the day. No go..she had her heels dug in. Of course bag was scratched on retrieval which they don't compensate.

Was interesting that Qantas have failed to comply with "safety rules" (as stated by cabin crew) for last 3 years in which I've owned the bag AND was told by another crew member even crew bags don't fit in the weigh scales!

Qantas are on a road to problems with this. What a ridiculous overzealous response in my situation. Clearly my bag isn't oversize.
s115 likes this.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Dec 18, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Well I'm honestly not very sympathetic. It looks like you fly a lot and so know that the rules are in place. We all skirt them because we usually can. So I don't blame you for trying at all. But if I ever get pulled up on it because I'm being cheeky and skirting the rules, I would never call them a "dragon." She is just doing her job. Who cares if your bag fits. The rules are there. You purchased a bag because it met one measurement but failed to check the other. It's your fault, not hers. The fact that Qantas didn't comply and now are isn't "interesting" - its ridiculous how carriers around the world haven't been enforcing it, as consumers we've developed really bad habits.

And yes. I checked my bag for ALL dimensions before I bought it purposefully for this reason. My bag does fit in the dimension boxes, not just for airlines like Qantas but it's small enough that I will know it'll fit in the LCC dimension boxes as well should I try my luck there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Well I'm honestly not very sympathetic. It looks like you fly a lot and so know that the rules are in place. We all skirt them because we usually can. So I don't blame you for trying at all. But if I ever get pulled up on it because I'm being cheeky and skirting the rules, I would never call them a "dragon." She is just doing her job. Who cares if your bag fits. The rules are there. You purchased a bag because it met one measurement but failed to check the other. It's your fault, not hers. The fact that Qantas didn't comply and now are isn't "interesting" - its ridiculous how carriers around the world haven't been enforcing it, as consumers we've developed really bad habits.

And yes. I checked my bag for ALL dimensions before I bought it purposefully for this reason. My bag does fit in the dimension boxes, not just for airlines like Qantas but it's small enough that I will know it'll fit in the LCC dimension boxes as well should I try my luck there.
Totally disagree, my roller bag is hardly oversize. It easily fits under a seat and in overhead lockers....how else did I get by last three years? Qantas perhaps are a little too stringent in my case. When my bag goes into the overhead locker it takes less space as it is shorter and narrower than the rules stipulate. With regard to its slightly increased depth rarely is there ever enough room between the top of my bag and the roof of the overhead compartment to put anything anyway when its in the locker wheels in first other than a jacket maybe shove an unwanted pillow. My wheelie bag just takes 3cm more of that narrow gap. Thus calling my bag "oversize" is illogical considering Qantas aim is to enhance safety and/or items brought on board. FYI when I protested to cabin manger on board she "totally agreed" with me. It may be academic according to you and Qantas but that hardly makes it right or logical.
s115 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.