Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing all wheelie cases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
The reason for 7 kg has not been sufficiently justified when other airlines in the world have higher limits.
Source?

1 item at 7 or 8 kg is not uncommon. If it is enforced is another question
Personal items can vary. Often a laptop in small bag/satchel is OK

Sample (for economy)
https://viewtrip.travelport.com/baggagePolicy/

CX 7 kg
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...n/baggage.html

EY 7kg + 5kg
https://www.etihad.com/en/before-you...on/allowances/

EK 7 kg
https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...age-rules.aspx

SQ 7 kg
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/au...cabin-baggage/

KLM 12kg
https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...ance/index.htm

LH 8 kg
https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/carry-on-baggage

MH 7 kg
https://mhcare.malaysiaairlines.com/...language=en_US

TK 8 kg
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...age/index.html

============
QF at 2 x7 kg is more than many
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 7, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: fixed KLM link
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
BA is unlimited weight, you just need ensure it is the right size. Just a data point in the other direction. (Along with AA - we should be careful of selective sampling....)

As said upstream, it is a change with little justification, no revenue gain as unlike JQ I guess QF is not charging to gate check. In my mind the issue is number of carryon not weight. One up top and one down under the seat.

And creates unnecessary issues. Given a 60 min connection is legal Dom-intl in SYD although unwise and different carryon rules for intl vs Dom, what about the poor person who is 8kg, has to check the bag and then misses the flight travelling in F, esp. if the final destination is say LAX where luggage is not so timely....

can someone confirm are are they checking weight in domestic business?

KF
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
And creates unnecessary issues. Given a 60 min connection is legal Dom-intl in SYD although unwise and different carryon rules for intl vs Dom, what about the poor person who is 8kg, has to check the bag and then misses the flight travelling in F, esp. if the final destination is say LAX where luggage is not so timely....
The poor person with 8kg can check the bag in and collect it at Los Angeles or removie 1kg ; I do not see why the the person would miss the flight ; once the bag is checked in, the passenger will be able to move at least as fast to the international terminal

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
[left]BA is unlimited weight, you just need ensure it is the right size. Just a data point in the other direction. (Along with AA - we should be careful of selective sampling....)
I suggest that more airlines have weight limits for hand luggage than those that do not

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

There is zero difference between one bag at 14kg or two bags at 7 in the overhead, weight wise.
not when it falls and lands on you there isn't
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the force of the impact on the aircraft is so great that the securely locked bin opens and the contents come flying out, you probably have more to worry about than the weight of individual pieces.

If it's a careless passenger dropping a bag when it's being taken out... why doesn't BA have the same problem? Their insurers would demand lower weights if this was actually an issue.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Source?

============
QF is indeed more than some, notably the Japanese and some Asian airlines (e.g. JAL offers 10kg total for one carry on plus one personal item).

The fact is that the reality is far more diverse than the impression you provide in the selection of your examples, varying by:
  • One versus two items (plus personal item)
  • Individual item weight versus combined total weight of the carry on items, with the personal item weight included or not
  • Class of travel
  • Status
  • Flight origin
Before we get into that, there are two (arguably stupid) things to note about the QF website page on "carry on baggage":

1. The limits are solely quoted in imperial measure as 15lbs: here's the problem - 15lbs is not 7kg, rather 6.8kg. So are you supposed to be complying with 6.8kg or 15 lbs and which figure is the staff using as their measure when they are doing their spot checks - who is getting the benefit of the doubt, the airline or the customer? Over two bags that's a 6% differential.
2. The website page does not link through to the separate page defining the specific limits for flights originating in the USA (you have to "know" to go look for that through a separate Google search - poor web design over at QF yet again), so if you follow the QF website menu system you wouldn't then realise that the USA limit is in fact only one carry on bag at 15lbs (or 7kg or is it 6.8kg?!))

So in the USA case, even in business and first class you are down to one 7kg / 15 lbs (or whatever - pick a number), significantly worse off than say on JAL (at 10kg), or on a US based airline (where they go on size, not weight).

Now for non USA originated flights QF can indeed be more generous especially for economy passengers, but that advantage is lost once we compare business and first.

For business and first QF is roughly on a par with some airlines such as EK, EY, SQ, MH with a two by 7kg lift (if you take the 7kg rather than the 6.8kg and give the bee fit of the doubt to the airline).

But it slips behind others with Scoot Biz on a total of 15kg, several at the 16kg level (TK, LH, LX, LA, etc) and KLM at 18kg.

In some cases an airline will recognise status when allocating carry on allowances, this includes Avianca which offers 20kg for Gold status and similar.

BA offers 46 kg across two bags.

And the US based airlines go solely on carry on dimension, not weight at all.

There are certain exceptions hiding in the wings which may reflect local requirements (e.g. Delta quotes 10kg out of PVG).

Given the size of those airlines offering significantly more than QF (BA, UA, AA, DL, etc) there are huge numbers of passengers flying every day that enjoy far more generous carry on limits than those on QF, apparently without their safety or the operation of the airline being unduly compromised.

FWIW I just checked the fine print on the contract for my upcoming first class LAX-MEL and yes QF only allows one bag at 7kg. Whereas they may be local restrictions at LAX limiting departing international flights to one carry on clearly a weight limit of 7kg is not determined by the local requirements since Avianca can muster a 10kg limit on my business class LAX-BOG.

IMHO that really is QF taking the proverbial on a $16,000 ticket - one carry on at 7kg!

(Source - individual airline web sites)

Last edited by Platy; Dec 7, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If the force of the impact on the aircraft is so great that the securely locked bin opens and the contents come flying out, you probably have more to worry about than the weight of individual pieces.

If it's a careless passenger dropping a bag when it's being taken out... why doesn't BA have the same problem? Their insurers would demand lower weights if this was actually an issue.
Possibly because the careless passenger's actions are not something where BA has liability as long as it takes not responsibility for putting them in the lockers in the 1st place
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

it is people WANTING to take their overweight bags on board not NEEDING to take it on board

Except that the passengers aren't there to fit the needs of QF, rather QF is there to meet the needs and wants of the passenger! No doubt the likes of Joyce want to drive our behaviours to the airline's advantage, but the airline does need to balance financial and operational efficiency with maintaining customer satisfaction and customer retention to run the business.

Some of us dislike checking in bags, for various reasons, which may include, but not be limited to:
  • Avoiding the inconvenience of bag drop / check in
  • Increased speed of egress from aircraft to ground transportation
  • Avoiding bags / contents getting damaged
  • Avoiding bags being tampered with, items stolen, etc
  • Lengthy wait times to collect bags
  • Status / class not being honoured with check luggage priority
  • Bags getting "lost" / not making their connecting flight

These are all valid reasons for us to take up such a position.

I already pack light, occasionally send belongings home separately, etc., and manage around the 10kg mark.

I also use a cabin sized backpack which is entirely suited to carry on and is easy to carry on my back, but would not be a luggage item of choice if I was to to check it in because I was slightly outside the limits - the bag just isn't rigid and secure enough, so what..I now have to go and buy a wheelie (at $400 so it's light and tough enough) just in case someone at QF is playing school ma'a?!.

It gets absurd - on my upcoming itinerary I'll be fine on:

QF Business CNS-BN-NRT within 14kg
    JAL First NRT- LAX within 10kg
    AV Business LAX-BOG-CTG-BOG-LAX at 10kg

but then, clang, stuffed on QF First on LAX-MEL at 7kg.

If I'm even a little over the whole damned bag would have to go in the hold.

QF needs to meet the needs of its customers, Dave, and that can be determined very easily by well executed market research.

In a competitive environment where I can fly a return business to Europe from CNS for under $4000 on a lie flat product on the latest aircraft, QF needs to be very careful in adopting an arrogant attitude towards its customers particularly if it fails to meet the expectations of its customers.

Last edited by Platy; Dec 7, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:46 pm

I suggest that more airlines have weight limits for hand luggage than those that do not
The number of airlines is hardly the relevant statistic. There is a significant numbers of passengers who enjoy weight limits significantly above those of QF.

Incidentally, at least for international premium classes, the design of the cabin layouts with all aisle access makes it less likely that you have somebody else's bags over your head. Granted the QF domestic 737s can be a bun fight (not surprising when the airline itself uses so place of the available bin space)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
It gets absurd - on my upcoming itinerary I'll be fine on:
QF Business CNS-BNE-NRT within 14kg
JAL First NRT- LAX within 10kg
AV Business LAX-BOG-CTG-BOG-LAX at 10kg

But then, clang, stuffed on QF First on LAX-MEL at 7kg
Simple solution: fly other airlines, where there is a choice, if the ticket t&c's are not to your liking. For USA Australia have several choices.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Simple solution: fly other airlines, where there is a choice, if the ticket t&c's are not to your liking. For USA Australia have several choices.
Actually, no other direct flights in first class between Australia and USA and when I booked I had no idea that my carry on would be weight restricted to the level of a lowly Dash 8 regional service.

As a customer, yes, I now spend my cash mostly with airlines other than QF for a variety of reasons.

In any case, I can't see how your suggestion helps QF - losing customers because they can't tailor their carry on policy to customer expectations...as evidenced above there are plenty of airlines that manage.

Last edited by Platy; Dec 7, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Source?

Sample (for economy)
....... ........ ........
============
Your good examples do not include any from the USA. Plenty of examples there . And given that litigation is their name of the game, I assume that they (in the USA) have done the risk analyses of heavy items in overheads and don’t have a need to reduce weight limits to 7 kg.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibly because the careless passenger's actions are not something where BA has liability as long as it takes not responsibility for putting them in the lockers in the 1st place
Under the Montreal Convention? Only two defences available.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:25 pm

In the end it doesn't matter what you may think, the rule is clearly published , as suggested above , if not liking the rules that Qantas has, there are other airlines

It is just rather (imo) risible to move from am airline that permits 2x7kg to an airline that permits 1x7kg due to the 1st airline not allowing > 7kg
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the end it doesn't matter what you may think, the rule is clearly published , as suggested above , if not liking the rules that Qantas has, there are other airlines
It matters because the airline has rarely enforced this before and have created an expectation that, winthin reason, your cabin baggage will be fine. Future tickets have already been purchased with the expecation that bags will be fine as long as they meet current practice.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:27 am

It is just rather (imo) risible to move from am airline that permits 2x7kg to an airline that permits 1x7kg due to the 1st airline not allowing > 7kg
So you really do perceive a world wherein an airline should disregard the thoughts and perceptions of its customers? That a business should design its product, set its service levels, and define its T&Cs without any input from its actual target market?

That there is no value in attempting customer retention?

VA appears to allow 2 carry ons for international long haul business class - I can't find any reference to an exception for USA originating flights so VA would be offering twice the allowance of QF for their business class passengers compared that of QF's business and first passengers.

QF is thus completely out of step with every competitor offering direct business / first flights (VA, UA, AA, DL) between USA and Australia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.