Weighing all wheelie cases

Old Dec 6, 18, 2:58 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Thanks. I'm in F and my bag is 55cm but def over 7Kgs. Connecting from QF to EK HLO so if it gets refused it's gonna be an issue.
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Thanks. I'm in F and my bag is 55cm but def over 7Kgs. Connecting from QF to EK HLO so if it gets refused it's gonna be an issue.
If it gets refused , the issue is yours . If you choose to ignore the rules and you get caught, what do you actually expect?

Checking Emirates's allowances, it has a limit of 2 x 7kg in 1st/busines and 1 x 7kg in economy so no greater than QF's
ps107 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 6, 18 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Take a folded plastic bag with you. If an 'issue' move the excess KG into it.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Sages View Post
Well I think I have had my last Qants flight ending on Friday. Departing Melbourne the cabin manager has been weighing all wheelie carry on cases. If they are above 7 kg they have to be checked in. Apparently it’s because of injuries to staff.
I do around 40 to 50 flights a year and always put my case in the shelving above. And I can catogrically say I canno remember the last time I saw a flight attendant do it for a passenger.
from here on in if this is the practice Virgin will get my business.
Waiting for the baggage to arrive for 20-30 minutes is rubbish when you are on business.

so you are all cranky and want to move to Virgin because the policy is up to 7 kilo bags as carryon and you are annoyed because you want to take bags heavier than 7 kilos on?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
I'm sure the enforcement will continue to be sporadic.

That said I'd far prefer them to focus on bag size than bag weight - I've never seen a bag fall out but seen plenty that have to go sideways or be pushed and shoved in because they are too big - which does fill the limited space.

Also much easier for the staff to do. Visual check and a tape measure for those they think are close
Old Dec 7, 18, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
Also much easier for the staff to do. Visual check and a tape measure for those they think are close
No need for a tape measure - just put bag in the sizer - if it fits and the scale shows it at 7kg or lower, then it is ok
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:14 am

7kg? Even Scoot has 10kg. And I understand it is a budget carrier. Oh, and I saw a flight attendant helping someone with her bag into the overhead.
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If it gets refused , the issue is yours . If you choose to ignore the rules and you get caught, what do you actually expect?

Checking Emirates's allowances, it has a limit of 2 x 7kg in 1st/busines and 1 x 7kg in economy so no greater than QF's
The issue is QF has rarely cracked down on weight before. They are now. They created, in the past, an expecation. Now they want to change that without any obvious or appreciable reason for doing so.

The purported reason for the change is spurious, at best. The 'safety' element seems to have no basis given wide-spread industry practice.

If you want to randomly start enforcing rules without any good reason, people are going to get upset.
Old Dec 7, 18, 5:56 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Flying from ADL to SYD today with JQ and every single back was put on a commercial scale. Even the small personal item. If above 7kg you had to pay up, reduce weight or check-in. I had purchased the 10kg upgrade and my bag was 9,5kg. But then they spotted that I had a magazine under my arm which would have made it more than 10kg. The magazine however was the Qantas inflight magazine so they let this go.
Old Dec 7, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
...they spotted that I had a magazine under my arm which would have made it more than 10kg. The magazine however was the Qantas inflight magazine so they let this go.
Clearly the QF inflight magazine is really 'lightweight' (mass or content)
Old Dec 7, 18, 2:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So, QF is a company that is not listening to consumer demand. They have an unreasonably low carry on weight that doesn’t work for many / most people who need to carry their gear on with them. The reason for 7 kg has not been sufficiently justified when other airlines in the world have higher limits. The cynic says “its just a cash grab”. The business person says “its a PITA”. The baggage delivery system doesn’t deliver onto the belt in a timely manner (or with the surety of no loss or no damage). You can bet that if VA went to 10 kg then QF would follow.
Old Dec 7, 18, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og View Post
The cynic says “its just a cash grab”.
Of course it's commercial. Achievable because there's zero competition with those shackled by the golden hand-cuffs of status rarely changing carrier.
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
Every kilo counts .........

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...23-p50hyy.html
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og View Post
So, QF is a company that is not listening to consumer demand. They have an unreasonably low carry on weight that doesn’t work for many / most people who need to carry their gear on with them. The reason for 7 kg has not been sufficiently justified when other airlines in the world have higher limits. The cynic says “its just a cash grab”. The business person says “its a PITA”. The baggage delivery system doesn’t deliver onto the belt in a timely manner (or with the surety of no loss or no damage). You can bet that if VA went to 10 kg then QF would follow.
it is people WANTING to take their overweight bags on board not NEEDING to take it on board

Those 15 minutes after a flight to get bags back on domestic trips are quite timely. The airlines in Australia are quite decent about baggage delivery

A "business person" is not more having a pain with checked luggage than anyone else. If that business person can get thie stuff into the 2 x 7kg allowance, then there is no issue. If needing more than 14Kg of stuff with them, then no reason not to check it in

Virgin's allowance is already 50% lower than Qantas's at 7Kg total rather than 7kg per item ; going to 10Kg would still be 4kg less than that which Qantas permits
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
it is people WANTING to take their overweight bags on board not NEEDING to take it on board

Those 15 minutes after a flight to get bags back on domestic trips are quite timely. The airlines in Australia are quite decent about baggage delivery

A "business person" is not more having a pain with checked luggage than anyone else. If that business person can get thie stuff into the 2 x 7kg allowance, then there is no issue. If needing more than 14Kg of stuff with them, then no reason not to check it in
I see a pretty big issue. No one really wants to drag two (or three bags if you include checked luggage) from the car/train/bus through to the check-in counter, security, the lounge, boarding, into the overhead and then the same in reverse on arrival if you don't have to. Dragging one bag (or two with checked luggage) is more than enough.

There is zero difference between one bag at 14kg or two bags at 7 in the overhead, weight wise.

But I guess there are those sticking to the rules who are happy to wait - twice as long while bags go through the security checkpoint, twice as long while bags are weighed, and twice as long for people to arrange them into the overhead locker - than those who can apply a bit of common sense.

Search this Thread