Weighing all wheelie cases

Reply

Old Dec 3, 18, 6:08 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,622
Originally Posted by shuuy View Post
Not sure why Qantas didn't pick the low hanging fruit - number of pieces instead of weight.

For day trippers / VFR / tourists, can understand that enforcing this awful policy isn't that big a deal

For Monday-Thursday weekly commuters (or domestic/international journeys same week) a 7kg limit is pretty tough. Interesting as these people are often the frequent flyers...
Those weekly commuters that need more than 14Kg ( 2 x 7kg) have the opportunity to check bags in for no charge with Qantas
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:59 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,779
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Those weekly commuters that need more than 14Kg ( 2 x 7kg) have the opportunity to check bags in for no charge with Qantas
Yes, I'm not a weekly commuter on QF, but do regularly travel - sometimes with hand luggage only - on other carriers. I find my wheelaboard with clothes/shoes ~ 7kg plus backpack with laptop/electronics ~5kg. Only if I combine the two into one would it be a problem meeting 7kg limit.
nancypants likes this.
lokijuh is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 9:18 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Posts: 2,785
Definitely a reason to have a separate laptop bag for all the electronics.
Quite a few of them have a pocket with a bottom zip that become a sleeve that you can slide over a typical two pole roller.
nancypants likes this.
moa999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 9:52 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cairns, Australia
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
reduction in risk is not same as removal of risk

There may be less chance of having an item drop - and things still can drop - the impact of the falling object is not reduced by the reduced likelihood of it

t is not normal to try to compensate for reduction of risk by icreasing impact from event occurring
Except....impact was already reduced by lowering the weight of the allowable items (10kg to 7kg) previously in the "set up" for the cash grab to come (the latter confirmed by the opinion of my contacts if QF Group - it's about cash not safety, mate).

Under your regime of risk removal QF would have an extra potential 340 items to stow per flight (170 pax by 2 items).

That's where your logic always takes you, Dave....ad absurdum.

A few other absurdities:
  • At 7kg the allowable size of the carry on becomes a white elephant (try filling a case of that size and case weight and stay under the limit): why allow a carry on of that dimension if the weight of such is unlikely to comply
  • Ground staff have to be paid to handle those 170 extra items at other ends of the flight and send to connecting aircraft - not passengers (who themselves paying to handle their own luggage)
  • The capacity of of the aircraft hold(s) may become limiting
  • The turnaround time for the aircraft blows out
Just goes to show how unfettered "logic" devoid of anchor in the bigger picture inevitably leads you to a conclusion which is "not normal" (and financially / practically unfeasible)...same story arc - different thread.

It doesn't take much imagination to see where this is heading for QF when JQ charges for the differential between a 7kg and 10kg carry on...logic without imagination and insight will always be limiting....
Platy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:32 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,622
Staff are already being paid to handle items

Regardless of whether some people at Qantas have an opinion on Qantas's reasons for the policy, Qantas does have a clearly written policy - the OP ran foul of it - as you say - it is an opinion - not a fact

The policy seems to make sense to me - I have had someone's handluggage fall down and hit me - luckily it wasnt 14Kg or 20kg
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:44 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OOL
Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Posts: 3,660
One way to deal with intrusive busybodies who want to weigh your hand luggage is to wear clothes with plenty of pockets and fill them up with the heavier items during the weighing - also necessary at some international-airports where you find useless jobsworths hanging around security weighing everyone's hand baggage, Brisbane and Melbourne typically.

Another way is to fly Virgin rather than Qantas within Australia, you'll also pay less for an equivalent experience if you use a discount code see here:
https://www.australianfrequentflyer.....54931/page-45
harryhv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:52 pm
  #37  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
The novel solution to this would be to charge for cabin bags and not for bags in the hold. What would people do then?

Not going to happen, of course.
Can't put cargo in overhead bins. And cargo per kg generally makes more money than a checked bag.
nzkarit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:58 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cairns, Australia
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Staff are already being paid to handle items

Regardless of whether some people at Qantas have an opinion on Qantas's reasons for the policy, Qantas does have a clearly written policy - the OP ran foul of it - as you say - it is an opinion - not a fact

The policy seems to make sense to me - I have had someone's handluggage fall down and hit me - luckily it wasnt 14Kg or 20kg
And the policy is about cash not safety.

So you expect the staff to handle double the items in the same time period for the same pay...?!

FWIW and IMHO a 10kg limit per item would be sensible mid point - I would be more accepting as a personal position of a realistic limit being enforced.

In the meantime, it seems absolutely daft that a significant volume of the overhead bin capacity appears to be taken up with airline / staff items at the front of the QF domestic 737 fleet.

I guess we'll see in due course whether QF follows the JQ lead on revenue raising on the 7kg to 10kg differential!

(PS. Hopefully you weren't bruised or worse with the luggage misshap. Those situations are never nice and can be very awkward. Wouldn't want to get into a legal argument about respective responsibilities of the airline or individual who loaded their own carry ons or to see someone incidentally hurt - the design of the pivot bins is supposed to help).
Platy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:00 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Posts: 3,145
Originally Posted by Platy View Post
...
In the meantime, it seems absolutely daft that a significant volume of the overhead bin capacity appears to be taken up with airline / staff items at the front of the QF domestic 737 fleet.

...
And one wonders just how heavy those staff roll-aboards are????
shillard likes this.
VH-RMD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:36 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Sages View Post
Well I think I have had my last Qants flight ending on Friday. Departing Melbourne the cabin manager has been weighing all wheelie carry on cases. If they are above 7 kg they have to be checked in. Apparently itís because of injuries to staff.
I do around 40 to 50 flights a year and always put my case in the shelving above. And I can catogrically say I canno remember the last time I saw a flight attendant do it for a passenger.
from here on in if this is the practice Virgin will get my business.
Waiting for the baggage to arrive for 20-30 minutes is rubbish when you are on business.
what was she weighing them with?
s115 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:17 am
  #41  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,878
[mod hat] Please think about whether you have something new to contribute to this discussion or not. "I am right and you are not" discussions usually don't help much. [/mod hat]
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:42 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cairns, Australia
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
And one wonders just how heavy those staff roll-aboards are????
Funny you should mention that...was drinking with a QF Group First Officer on Tuesday night who was explaining how she managed to bypass (the now enforced) carry on weight limitations when on staff travel (non duty).

Add that to the list of privileges QF staff seemingly enjoy over paying business class passengers (pick of the seats, managing to usurp paying passengers for non duty staff seats, etc).
Platy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:48 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cairns, Australia
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by s115 View Post
what was she weighing them with?

A good question - regular bathroom scales can be 20-30% inaccurate - hopefully QF is using scales with a far narrower range of performance


(see https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentra...1-2458-13-1194)
Platy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 4:59 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Platy View Post
Funny you should mention that...was drinking with a QF Group First Officer on Tuesday night who was explaining how she managed to bypass (the now enforced) carry on weight limitations when on staff travel (non duty).

Add that to the list of privileges QF staff seemingly enjoy over paying business class passengers (pick of the seats, managing to usurp paying passengers for non duty staff seats, etc).

/rant on

as a QF wife I can firmly say

1) not all QF staff (mine definitely gets zero say over seats- middle/rear if thatís whatís available, nothing at all if nothing is available. Also worth noting that HR and office types bump basically all flight crew)

2) after accruing $100k+ of debt to train, their base pay is not that flash and staff travel is a cheap way for qantas to sweeten the deal. If they would like to get rid of staff travel entirely and give mr pants a significant pay increase I would be more than happy with that. But they wonít ever do that, because at the moment they can get away with supplying something that essentially has no cost associated with it (seats are standby/space available so if there wasnít a staffís posterior in it, would have gone out empty)

/rant off



nb the sum total of this is we pay commercial prices for all of our travel due to the issues outlined above
windchaser777 likes this.

Last edited by nancypants; Dec 5, 18 at 4:25 pm Reason: Clarification
nancypants is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 18, 6:34 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sydney/London
Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, United 1K
Posts: 85
Carry on weight limits are a bit like speed limits on country roads. Everyone exceeds them because they aren't really enforced but that doesn't mean you have any right to be outraged if you do get unlucky and come across the one cop/FA in a hundred who actually cares. Unlike speed limits on country roads however, evidence that carry on weight limits are rarely enforced definitely weakens the airline's ability to rely on their policies and systems to protect them from liability arising from overweight carry on luggage. Say an overhead locker busts open during turbulence, a suitcase weighing 20kg falls out and breaks the neck of a passenger, you can bet your bottom dollar the ambulance chasers will want to know how that suitcase ended up there.
warreng is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread