Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline change [QF to NZ]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Airline change [QF to NZ]

I'm traveling Jakarta to Sydney on qantas, then to NZ on Air NZ). 2 different bookings. Is there anyway to check bags all way from Jakarta to save going through customs and immigration at Sydney.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Steelbreeze71 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Steelbreeze71
I'm traveling Jakarta to Sydney on Qantas, then to NZ on Air NZ. 2 different bookings.
Is there anyway to check bags all way from Jakarta to save going through customs and immigration at Sydney?
No. QF will not interline checked baggage on separate itineraries, other than QF to QF/EK
Link---> QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

You will need to allow a good amount of time to go through immigration, customs & bio security with all your checked & carry on bags. Then to Air NZ check in and back through emigration

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

Depending on your passport you may need an Australian visa for the little time you are in Australia (land side).
Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs Click to open the wiki

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 30, 2018 at 9:24 pm Reason: added Au visa sentence
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Let's move this thread to the Qantas forum where you might receive further assistance in addition to the excellent information already supplied.

NewbieRunner
senior moderator
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No way around this unless the computer is down and they hand-write the baggage tag at CGK (always a possibility, particularly if your tip is large enough). QF does interline to NZ on a single ticket, but on separate tickets it is a big hassle at SYD (depending on time of day of your arrival, it can take 2 hours to get checked bags and clear customs, though 30-45 min is more usual). And you have to get over to NZ checkin before it closes for your flight (typically 60 min). I'd suggest 3 hours connecting time is minimum viable, maybe 4 hours to be safe. Switching to separate QF ticket instead of Air NZ might be worth the cancellation fee.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
.. I'd suggest 3 hours connecting time is minimum viable, maybe 4 hours to be safe. Switching to separate QF ticket instead of Air NZ might be worth the cancellation fee.
Agree. If QF imposed a fee at check in for bag transfer on separate tickets then this problem could be managed - assuming the fee was reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.