How long to exit Heathrow?

Old Nov 20, 18, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

How long to exit Heathrow?

Hi

flying Qantas int Heathrow and arriving at 6.15 am. How much time should I plan to get from the plane to the exit?
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I usually call it 45 minutes with a British passport coming in to Terminal 3.
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:42 pm

My experiences vary. Sometimes it's relatively short at 45 mins.

But if the luggage handlers are slow for whatever reason, I have been known to stand around for more than an hour and a half.
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You are arriving at peak hour following lots of TATL arrivals, so it can be slow some days. As stated 45 min is best case, worst case is hard to say but personally I've had it take over 2 hours (with baggage).
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
It depends on part on what passport you hold, what class of travel you are in, and whether you have hold luggage. And, depending on the volume of the day, this can be anywhere from 30 minutes to over two hours.
Old Nov 22, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
It depends on part on what passport you hold, what class of travel you are in, and whether you have hold luggage. And, depending on the volume of the day, this can be anywhere from 30 minutes to over two hours.
Heathrow immigration has two sides, one for British and EU passports and the other for everyone else. The everyone-else line has a fast-track for biz class but you'd need to be sure to get a voucher from the air-crew, and often the fast-track is no faster than the regular line. In the early mornings when lots of US planes arrive it's a third-world-style shambles much like the foreign-immigration at JFK or IAH, you could be 1,2 or 3 hours in line.
Old Nov 23, 18, 2:35 am
Original Poster

I have an EU passport, so no problem on that part. Hopefully, I can make it to passport control before anyone else.

I remember from previous experiences that an EU-ID card is the fastest as almost nobody uses that line. Sadly my Belgian ID card expired so cannot use that.
Old Nov 23, 18, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
I have an EU passport, so no problem on that part. Hopefully, I can make it to passport control before anyone else......
Even if you are ahead of everyone else from the QF flight, you will be behind several thousand other pax from planes landing before QF.
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have an EU passport, so no problem on that part. Hopefully, I can make it to passport control before anyone else.

I remember from previous experiences that an EU-ID card is the fastest as almost nobody uses that line. Sadly my Belgian ID card expired so cannot use that.
There is ePassport Gates at T3 that are available to EU, Norwegian and Swiss Passports, that will get you through quickly. UK offers a Registered Traveler program can also use them, but that costs 70, and you have to have a visa or entered the UK 4 times in the last 2 years, and travel under one of the 40 eligible passports (Australian is included):

https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller/eligibility
Old Dec 5, 18, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi

So my experience: I did not get out of the plane immediately as I was in seat 67A and my seatmate decided to reorganise her belongings so I could not get out of my row. The walk to passport control was long and it felt less comfortable than in T5. There were around 100 people in front of me but the queue moved fast so I only waited 15 minutes. Baggage reclaim took longer (being an A380 I can understand it). All in all around 7.30 I was outside, plenty of time for a coffee before boarding the coach to Manchester (a dreadful trip that was: what do you do with a neighbour who spreads out and occupies space from your seat?)
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:10 pm
Original Member

... boarding the coach to Manchester (a dreadful trip that was: what do you do with a neighbour who spreads out and occupies space from your seat?)
Thanks for the update. What you do is fly BA LHR-MAN As an aside, QF used to fly LHR-MAN-LHR using a wet leased BAE146 carrying 1 or 2 pax per flight .... this was to retain their LHR slots which they had bought for a record amount (something like $30million) in preparation for A380 service, and when delivery of A380 was delayed had to improvise. Making for a very unique Manchester service.
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Thanks for the update. What you do is fly BA LHR-MAN As an aside, QF used to fly LHR-MAN-LHR using a wet leased BAE146 carrying 1 or 2 pax per flight .... this was to retain their LHR slots which they had bought for a record amount (something like $30million) in preparation for A380 service, and when delivery of A380 was delayed had to improvise. Making for a very unique Manchester service.
Wow. Didn't they have 4 slots a few years ago? 2 ex MEL and 2 ex SYD flights? What happened to those extra 2 now?
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Hi

So my experience: I did not get out of the plane immediately as I was in seat 67A and my seatmate decided to reorganise her belongings so I could not get out of my row. The walk to passport control was long and it felt less comfortable than in T5. There were around 100 people in front of me but the queue moved fast so I only waited 15 minutes. Baggage reclaim took longer (being an A380 I can understand it). All in all around 7.30 I was outside, plenty of time for a coffee before boarding the coach to Manchester (a dreadful trip that was: what do you do with a neighbour who spreads out and occupies space from your seat?)
I wouldn't have been polite in either situation. Please can I get out and Please can you keep your stuff (or body) on your seat.

I've had a great experience at T3 where it took 18 minutes from getting off the plane, going through immigration gates (EU passport) getting bags and out the door in 18 minutes. That was off a CX B777, but it was at 3pm midweek, not an overly busy time.
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Wow. Didn't they have 4 slots a few years ago? 2 ex MEL and 2 ex SYD flights? What happened to those extra 2 now?
QF owns 8 slots at LHR (or did the last time I checked) and leases 4 of them to BA and uses 4 for QF services. 2 were purchased and used for LHR-HKG-SYD service before QF/BA/CX fell out of love with each other and replaced by EK

Search this Thread
Search Engine: