Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

JetStar required check-in time at Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE

Taking a flight from Sydney to Nadi in the spring on JetStar. The JetStar email I recieved said to show up two hours prior. Is that really a thing in Australia or is that just a default answer by the airline for when to show up?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Taking a flight from Sydney to Nadi in the spring on JetStar. The JetStar email I recieved said to show up two hours prior. Is that really a thing in Australia or is that just a default answer by the airline for when to show up?
For International from SYD(vs. domestic Jet can be 30min), two hours is good advise as it can be busy (sometimes it's faster but you never know). Just make sure you go to JetStar International (vs. Domestic) as terminals are far apart and it cost money get between the two if you end up in wrong one.
shillard likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
2 hours is relatively restrained by airline advice standards, particularly given the need for exit immigration in Australia
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
2 hours is relatively restrained by airline advice standards, particularly given the need for exit immigration in Australia
What are the inspections and exit immigration like? I’ve only flown out of Australia once and it was military so we didn’t have to worry about being at an actual commercial airport.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
What are the inspections and exit immigration like? I’ve only flown out of Australia once and it was military so we didn’t have to worry about being at an actual commercial airport.
JQ will show no mercy if you are late. On check-in JQ will need to check your passport/visa to ensure you are allowed into Fiji.
Then a security check, like for domestic. Exit emigration controls are putting your e-passport into a kiosk, if eligible. If not eligible, line up in the queue for an immigration officer.
Depending on the time of day, it can get very busy at SYD international departures.

Links
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Edit
OP's other thread on the Fiji trip--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...booked-aa.html
And also no OW benefits on JQ.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 5, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'll move this thread to the Qantas forum, where questions about this wholly-owned Qantas subsidiary are discussed. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
hawkfan7314 and clubeurope like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Then a security check, like for domestic. Exit emigration controls are putting your e-passport into a kiosk, if eligible. If not eligible, line up in the queue for an immigration officer.
Not that it really matters, but you've got those two backwards. It's check-in, immigration, security, and then finally Duty Free (which can take as long as any of the other 3 - even if you're simply trying to get to the other side without buying anything!)
shillard likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
According to information here the cutoff for Jetstar international flights is 60 mins for flights operated by 787 and 45 mins (!!) for flights operated by A320/1. So in theory you could be reach check in desk 50 mins before scheduled departure for the Fiji flight (operated by A320) and still be checked in for flight. Not that this approach is recommended, it is nice to have that sort of contingency.

In practice, there are four sorts of people, thus who cut things really fine, those who cut things fine but with a small buffer (I'm in that category) , "normal" people - who will be there 2-3 hrs before hand, and then those who would consider getting to the airport any later than 3.5 hrs before an international flight as being late. With that in mind, for Jetstar, I'd be comfortable arriving at the airport 90 mins before departure. Most wouldn't. You know what sort of person you are.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by docbert
Not that it really matters, but you've got those two backwards. It's check-in, immigration, security, and then finally Duty Free (which can take as long as any of the other 3 - even if you're simply trying to get to the other side without buying anything!)
in melbourne it’s definitely check in, security , immigration then the tax refund scheme then 4 miles of duty free , then you get to the lounges after a long shopping concourse , but your talking Sydney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.