Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How often does Qantas first class go on sale?

Old Nov 4, 18, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

Hey everyone. I'm looking to book a first class flight in Q2, Christchurch to Dallas in first class. I don't know much about Qantas & it's sales though. Does Qantas discount first class often? Should I wait it out? Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:06 pm

Programs: Qantas
One ticket or 2? With the companion sale on right now, a first class return ticket from SYD - DFW is only slightly more expensive than a single return ticket.

Regards,

Michael
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

One ticket. I wish my partner could travel with me, sadly not.
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
F sales are route specific and pretty rare to DFW (more common to LAX and SIN, which doesn't help you). For some routes discounted F is often cheaper than full-J all the time.
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:43 am

Programs: Qantas
If you want to save $1,000 book a companion return fare and I'll contribute $3k and have a first class return trip to DFW.

Regards,

Michael
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking to book a first class flight in Q2, Christchurch to Dallas in first class. I don't know much about Qantas & it's sales though. Does Qantas discount first class often? Should I wait it out? Thanks!
Equally important... is there a particular reason you want QF F? It's not such a great product any more. A far cry from the glory days... galcially slow service, pretty much the same food in First and biz class, a lowish end amenity kit, and unless you happen to luck out with an exceptional crew, it is more like a slightly upgraded J than a true F.

I'd look at a more direct option rather than go out of your way back-tracking to SYD
levelnine likes this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Just was looking to take the opportunity to try it out and see how it differed from business. I know it won't be Singapore/Emirates/Lufthansa level, but it's the only first class I know of on the AUS-USA flight path!
Old Nov 7, 18, 10:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just was looking to take the opportunity to try it out and see how it differed from business. I know it won't be Singapore/Emirates/Lufthansa level, but it's the only first class I know of on the AUS-USA flight path!
Sad decline, QF was superior to LH F for example until about 2010 and on par with EK and SQ F (though admittedly different style and service dynamics). Still not a bad way to fly and going SYD-DFW does have lots of advantages. Now it is just a somewhat better J and even the wine service is very unreliable (can have some great wines or mediocre ones, and that is something QF can be ashamed of as due entirely to bad management). Still I am fond of QF F, half the crews are quite good and make up for the other half (but you have to fly often enough to experience both ).
Old Nov 7, 18, 11:39 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Equally important... is there a particular reason you want QF F? It's not such a great product any more. A far cry from the glory days... galcially slow service, pretty much the same food in First and biz class, a lowish end amenity kit, and unless you happen to luck out with an exceptional crew, it is more like a slightly upgraded J than a true F.

I'd look at a more direct option rather than go out of your way back-tracking to SYD
Couldn't agree more.....best description of Qantas 'first' I've read in a long time.
Old Nov 12, 18, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF Platinum / OWE (Lifetime & Partner Gold), HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Preferred
I've just done QF93/94 MEL-LAX-MEL in QF F. I think it is still a "true" F class and much better than QF J class. This is my take on it:

1. A380 cabin is spacious and airy, and never absurdly overheated like on SQ, EK, CX etc etc.
2. The QF F bed is the best I've experienced. The seat is large and has every adjustment under the sun to get comfortable (there is no Skybed "droop" as there is in J class). QF supplies a memory foam mattress with cotton bed linen, a duvet (which I sleep on top of because it is way too hot, even though quite lightweight), a cotton blanket (which I do sleep under as it is not too hot), two lovely foam (not horrible feathers that pack down to give you a sore neck) pillows and a third small pillow. On QF94 I slept deeply and very comfortably for 9 hours.
3. Attentive but not obsequious service. I have not experienced what gives rise to others' complaints about the A380 F crews, particularly the "glacial" service. Maybe it's because I am QF P1, or maybe it's because I've consistently had good crews in QF F.
4. Pajamas and slippers are supplied (although these are something I am not happy with; I like roomy pajamas and the QF "Large" are not large enough. I bring my own in which to sleep.
5. The amenity kit is not Creme de la Mer level, but it works and meets my needs. There is a good eyemask (which is contoured so it does not sit against your eyes), earplugs, some moisturiser / lip balm etc which works just fine, deodorant and a toothbrush and toothpaste. Razors and shaving cream are available in the loos.
6. I like the QF menus in F. There are hors d'oeuvres, a soup and selection of first courses, a selection of main courses and a choice of puddings. I really like the QF soups in particular, and I've never had any cause to complain about the food I've been served in QF F, whereas I have in every other oneworld F (the lowlight being curry slopped on a plate in BA F, which looked like, well just imagine, on a plate). The breakfast offerings are sufficiently varied (cereals, toast, pastries, yoghurt, eggs + trimmings, and a hot carb (waffles / pancakes / crumpets). The coffee is good and the English breakfast tea is properly made and served in a teapot. There is a clear demarcation between F food service and J food service on QF in terms of quantities, timing etc. Seconds and bespoke meals have always been accommodated for me in QF F (eg, on QF93 I wanted to have the macaroni cheese that was offered with the "Rockpool style" beef (I never, ever order beef on airplanes unless I personally know that the crew member working in the galley can cook steak (which very occasionally is the case with QF) dish with the pork chop I ordered. It was provided without any carry on or drama).
7. As I've aged I've become less of a wine bore, so the QF F wine is always fine with me. I am not a fan of many French "fine" wines (I loathe pinot noir and beaujolais) and prefer diesel smelling bone dry rieslings, and overblown, strongly tannic new world big reds. I enjoyed the champagne (Piper Heidseck Rare), the Grosset Polish Hill Riesling and each of the shiraz and cabernet sauvignons that were on offer. My pre-meal aperitif of campari and soda also hit the spot.
8. The F loos are too small, but the best practice F loos were the CX 747s and the EK shower suites. There's no comparison to those.
9. The F cabin is looking a bit old / worn out in comparison to newer offerings on other airlines. But hey I suppose that describes me nowadays, so I fit right in.

In summary, I say QF F is better than QF J in every dimension and far more comfortable. QF F is all that is offered to me ex-MEL, and I refuse to transit through Sydney to try the alternative (AA "F"), so I will keep flying in QF F on the transpac route as long as I can afford it!
deeruck and tfizzle like this.
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I've just done QF93/94 MEL-LAX-MEL in QF F. I think it is still a "true" F class and much better than QF J class.

In summary, I say QF F is better than QF J in every dimension and far more comfortable.
Absolutely! But compared to some other products it is more like a 'premium J' than F. The seat is best part of the offering you describe.
Old Nov 13, 18, 5:54 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
A bit off topic to the OP's original question, but just as a data point, last year QF had F to LHR return from SYD/MEL for $8,999 as a companion fare which I thought was one hell of a deal.
The companion sale fare this year was $10,999.

To the US, best I've seen is $9,999 to LAX in F from SYD/MEL.
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
In summary, I say QF F is better than QF J in every dimension and far more comfortable. QF F is all that is offered to me ex-MEL, and I refuse to transit through Sydney to try the alternative (AA "F"), so I will keep flying in QF F on the transpac route as long as I can afford it!
That's not an option as long as AA is using a 789 instead of the 77W. Might return if the JV is approved but who knows...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: