Do QF have airport POUG?

Old Nov 4, 18, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Do QF have airport POUG?

In the new year QF change their HKG service from a 3-class 744 to a A380. Originally this 4-class aircraft was being sold as a 3-class flight. Mme M1 and I had bagged seats in the F cabin. Now the flight is being sold as 4-class flight and we are now in 11A and 11B. Does QF do POUG upgrades like BA? (This is at the airport at check-in)
Old Nov 4, 18, 5:49 am

Programs: QF
You would be checked in according to your ticketed class ie in J.They won't give you a free upgrade from J to F.

If you were a QF ff you could register for a points upgrade to F when you book and opt in to upgrade at the airport if the upgrade doesn't clear ahead of time. You can't do points upgrades on QF metal using BA points.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747 View Post
You would be checked in according to your ticketed class ie in J.They won't give you a free upgrade from J to F.

If you were a QF ff you could register for a points upgrade to F when you book and opt in to upgrade at the airport if the upgrade doesn't clear ahead of time. You can't do points upgrades on QF metal using BA points.
Thanks, but I wasn't after a free upgrade! If there are seats available BA will often have a paid upgrade on the day at a very attractive rate - that's what I was wondering about re QF.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by morges1 View Post
Does QF do POUG upgrades like BA? (This is at the airport at check-in)
If there are seats available BA will often have a paid upgrade on the day at a very attractive rate - that's what I was wondering about re QF.
Technically, I think that what you're referring to is not BA's POUG, which is an online-only thing offered through ba.com's Manage My Booking, but BA's Airport Upgrade Promotion or AUP.

ISTR that QF doesn't do this in the same way, but no doubt the QF experts here will be able to give us chapter and verse.
Revenge likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:53 am
THR

It's unlikely to happen, even if it could. I'm booked on F to HKG from SYD on A380 during that period, and understand they're pretty full.
Old Nov 4, 18, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Globaliser, for sorting me out! I think that you are correct - QF doesn't do AUPs.

Noted, THR, except the day we travel in early Jan, there are only 3 people in F and booking availability is F9, A9.
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Noted, THR, except the day we travel in early Jan, there are only 3 people in F and booking availability is F9, A9.
Which is exactly what QF staff and their families wanting travel benefits (ID) will be looking at and planning accordingly.
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:22 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold (OWS), BA Bronze (OWR), Virgin Australia Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In the new year QF change their HKG service from a 3-class 744 to a A380. Originally this 4-class aircraft was being sold as a 3-class flight. Mme M1 and I had bagged seats in the F cabin. Now the flight is being sold as 4-class flight and we are now in 11A and 11B. Does QF do POUG upgrades like BA? (This is at the airport at check-in)
Hi morges1, QF is different to BA in that they do not have a POUG system, instead they have the ability to bid for upgrades. Also unlike BA, QF only credits the ticketed class for points and status credits/tier points, not the upgraded class.
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
In the past QF has run "experimental" upgrades on a few routes/flights which were "pay at check-in" but haven't seen QF do that for many months now so presume the experiment is over (they now use an outsoured service to manage "bid in advance" upgrades). For HKG the F cabin gets sold out during school holiday weeks
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
If you want to go the points way to upgrade. One option is to open a QF FF account (plenty of places with promotions for free), order some wine, current deals are around 15,000-20,000 at the moment for a dozen plus the points from the wine purchase (for me that is the easiest way to get FF points other than a credit card which requires 2 months of spend). And you get some fairly decent wine at good prices if you check around.

Buy enough for the upgrade and see if you get lucky. You can use the QF account to upgrade you as a family member so that your BA number stays in the booking. Also click that you are willing to be upgraded at the airport as that gives you some extra flexibility. Not guaranteed and probably 50% chance of success.

You will receive points according to BA. If you ask for a price it will be typically the fare difference on the day as it will require re-ticketing (do they have ticketing at HKG?) and will most likely be eye watering.

KF
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Many thanks, Koru Flyer, am following your advice to the letter. Now a QF FF and a Woolworth's (!) card holder. Will buy some wine, can't get a QF/Aus bank credit card as don't meet residency requirements. Can buy QF points from 10 Dec. F still open on 12 Jan!
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:51 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The general story is you ask for an upgrade at the airport, the agent will send you to ticketing where they'll charge the fare difference.

I am ticketed in F on QF127 and only 2 seats have been sold in the F cabin. I presume QF will be upgrade those who request with points or op ups.
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Clocking up the points and status - already gone from bronze to silver and will reach gold by mid-Feb.

Still only 3 seats taken in F on the flight I want - next obstacle on my business to first quest is that QF doesn't just open up availability, it gives priority to platinum ones at 7 days, platinum at 48h and others at 24h, so seats are nibbled away at!
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:54 am
THR

Good luck! Hopefully you can snag the seats.

Looking at expert flyer, itís mixed ... our flight on Saturday has only one seat available.
Old Dec 19, 18, 4:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Clocking up the points and status - already gone from bronze to silver and will reach gold by mid-Feb.
Can you tell me how you can get status without actually flying?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: