Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Which is the best option for business class between the A330-200 and A380-800?

Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold

I'll be flying Qantas for the first time next month, going from Hong Kong to Sydney. There's two flights, one which is an A380-800 and another on an A330-200.

The 'flight information' says the A330 has an angled flat seat in business class, whereas the A380 says fully flat. I've had an angled flat bed with AirAsia before and it was very uncomfortable for me. However, when I look on the Qantas website I can't find any mention of an angled flat seat on the A330, only business suites with fully flat beds.

Is there one which is generally better than the other between the A380 and A330, please?

Many thanks
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:54 pm

A380, unless you can get the 1-2-1 A330s.
MrLee likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF
QF has 2 A330-200's that have the old Skybed 1 product (i.e Angled lie flat), which I believe that one is currently in getting refurbished. The A380 is the nicer aircraft, but providing you get the Suite on the 330-200 the A330 has a better J product.
ButFli and MrLee like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by MrLee
I'll be flying Qantas for the first time next month, going from Hong Kong to Sydney. There's two flights,...

There ARE two flights.

Not THERE IS two flights.

What are they teaching in schools these days???

og and levelnine like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
A380 Pros: Atmospherics - i.e. lower cabin pressure, higher humidity and much quieter with an onboard 'lounge' to stretch your feet at.
Cons: Old school business class seat which sags at the feet due to age. Also, 2-2-2 layout.

A330 Pros: High possibility of new semi private J suite seats in 1-2-1 config.
Cons: low possibility of old like flat 2-2-2 config business seats, and worse atmospherics, louder.

All up I'd aim for the A330 with new business suites. It's too short a flight to worry about the above cons IMHO.
MrLee and levelnine like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:14 am

Maybe I've misread something but the OP claims the A330 flight he is looking at is the Skybed Mk I. There is no question he should opt for the A380.
MrLee likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'll be flying Qantas for the first time next month, going from Hong Kong to Sydney. There's two flights, one which is an A380-800 and another on an A330-200.

The 'flight information' says the A330 has an angled flat seat in business class, whereas the A380 says fully flat. I've had an angled flat bed with AirAsia before and it was very uncomfortable for me. However, when I look on the Qantas website I can't find any mention of an angled flat seat on the A330, only business suites with fully flat beds.

Is there one which is generally better than the other between the A380 and A330, please?

Many thanks
The order of preference would be A330 suites->A380->A330 angled

There's no information on the angled seats because Qantas promised nearly six years ago that all A330s would be refurbished with the new suites by now I think there is some fine print at the bottom of one of their pages alluding to 'other business class products' or something like that. But unless you knew what they're talking about it's easy to miss.

The A380s suffer from drooping beds, not ideal. Have a look at the seat map for the A330 to confirm 2-2-2 (angled) or 1-2-1 (full flat). If unsure, you can use Qantas chat for them to confirm with you.
LTN Phobia and MrLee like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The order of preference would be A330 suites->A380->A330 angled
I am in full agreement with that.

I can't stand angled/droopy beds, whereas I think the A330 suites are very nice.
MrLee likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: QF

Many thanks
What date is the HKG/SYD flight?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
There ARE two flights.

for perspective...from another post of yours, Shillard:

"Good news: They've finally moved on from the Greek chicken dish. Some sort of lamb (by which they mean mutton...) curry instead.

Bad news: Just as crowded. Pro-tip, if coming from SIN use the early checkin lounge and get here well before 5pm when the inbound Euro crowds arrive.

Worse news: The KFC landslide in T1 has closed
."

Two sentences lack verbs.
No capital letter required after a colon.
No hyphen required between the words pro and tip.
Space required between the words check and in.
....etc

...surely there's enough to discuss herein without picking on folk's grammar and spelling?

...for some, English is a second language?

...why ridicule?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Platy
for perspective...from another post of yours, Shillard:

"Good news: They've finally moved on from the Greek chicken dish. Some sort of lamb (by which they mean mutton...) curry instead.

Bad news: Just as crowded. Pro-tip, if coming from SIN use the early checkin lounge and get here well before 5pm when the inbound Euro crowds arrive.

Worse news: The KFC landslide in T1 has closed
."

Two sentences lack verbs.
No capital letter required after a colon.
No hyphen required between the words pro and tip.
Space required between the words check and in.
....etc

...surely there's enough to discuss herein without picking on folk's grammar and spelling?

...for some, English is a second language?

...why ridicule?
Do as I say, Platy - not as I do!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

There ARE two flights.

Thank you, and I'm sorry.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:17 am

Do as I say, Platy - not as I do!
Actually, no.

I'm not attempting to link a simple grammatical error to an inference of the OP being ill educated: potentially a personal insult.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mannej
QF has 2 A330-200's that have the old Skybed 1 product (i.e Angled lie flat), which I believe that one is currently in getting refurbished. The A380 is the nicer aircraft, but providing you get the Suite on the 330-200 the A330 has a better J product.
Thank you, I think the A380 will be the better option in this instance due to the flight information mentioning the angled bed.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by APUBleed
Maybe I've misread something but the OP claims the A330 flight he is looking at is the Skybed Mk I. There is no question he should opt for the A380.
Yes, it did say 'angled flat bed' in the flight information, so unless it's something generic which hasn't been updated, it certainly does seem like the A380 will be the better option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.