FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Is the QF 737 direct flight CHC to MEL worth it in F or should I route through AKL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1937254-qf-737-direct-flight-chc-mel-worth-f-should-i-route-through-akl.html)

aeroman380 Oct 24, 18 8:08 pm

Is the QF 737 direct flight CHC to MEL worth it in F or should I route through AKL?

Is the QF 737 direct flight CHC to MEL worth it in F or should I route through AKL and get the A330?

If the 737 F is spacious for the 4 hour flight and with newer amenities like avod and such i wouldnt mine taking the direct bht if it is the older 737 with no in seat ent then i would rather go connect in akl.

I havent seen any trip reports chc to mel.

Mwenenzi Oct 24, 18 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by aeroman380 (Post 30352896)
Is the QF 737 direct flight CHC to MEL worth it in F or should I route through AKL and get the A330?

If the 737 F is spacious for the 4 hour flight and with newer amenities like avod and such I wouldn't mine taking the direct bht if it is the older 737 with no in seat ent then I would rather go connect in AKL

QF do not fly F Australia to NZ. Business class is as good as it gets in B737 aircraft or for some flights A330 aircraft
So you are considering
  • CHC MEL on QF B737
  • Or CHC AKL by ???? & AKL-MEL by QF A330/B737. How would get CHC to AKL? JQ or NZ?
CHC MEL flight time (wheels up to wheels down) is about 3:15. On B737 its a domestic type business class seat. Has AVOD/seat entertainment.
Given the QF CHC MEL flights leaves at ~14:25 not worth going to AKL for the possibility of the better A330 business class seat.
Some AKL-MEL flights are in the B737 and others A330

libertyuk Oct 25, 18 12:18 am

Personally I wouldn't bother going CHC-AKL-MEL over CHC-MEL in business. All Trans Tasman 737s have on demand entertainment in all classes.

CHC-MEL in QF 737 C is fine for a flight that length, it's equivalent to flying domestic first class in the US in terms of seat, but the food/beverage service is the same as flying from AKL. The CHC lounge is nothing special, but then the AKL QF lounge isn't much better, certainly not worth adding hours of time to travel for.

CHC-AKL on Jetstar would be a Low Cost Carrier experience. No lounge in Christchurch and you have to pick up luggage at Auckland and check in separately for the AKL-MEL flight. You could fly Air NZ CHC-AKL, but unless you have *A Gold status (for lounge access and the Space + greater legroom seats) your experience wont be much different from Jetstar, as you'll be on a separate booking from Qantas.

Only one of the daily AKL-MEL flights is on the A330, the others are on the 737. The A330 experience is much better than the 737, but the question is whether a lie flat bed is worth doubling the travel time for.

Dave Noble Oct 25, 18 1:09 am

It is a fairly short flight from MEL-CHC and definitely not worth detouring via Auckland with all the hassles of changing terminal and then continuing in economy on NZ or JQ

As mentioned, if you want 1st class , you are out of luck , since I am not aware of any carrier that will ofer that on a flight from MEL-CHC. If wanting 1st class, you could travel to Sydney and then go on Emirates to Christchurch in 1st class

It is a very nice product , but for only a 2.5 hour flight time in 1st plus the extra journey time for the connection, I would go with business class

Going via Sydney will be a lot less hassle than going via Auckland if you do choose to take a connecting service

AustralianPoochie Oct 26, 18 10:36 am

***<IF money was not a consideration, ie, you would be happy to go premium cabin, then read my as some would say, (rubbish).>
If I had the $ again, I would do the EK F flight CHC - SYD, as it will earn 120 QF SC and then 40 QF SC for the J from SYD to MEL.
I have done the F on EK and the J on the QF 737, F wins hands down, just for the bar experience on board the 380.
If you can't afford F on the EK, then J on the EK would be a great consideration over the J on the QF 737.
If you really must, then that 737 in J from CHC at about 13.30/14.00 to get to MEL about 4pm or a bit later, would be the one that gives the most time in CHC daytime departure direct to MEL.
SYD Airport Rydges quite good too, or the Ibis Budget if you have to.
Because the EK flight from CHC comes in at 18.30, and you have to do incoming immi in SYD, I would over night in SYD and get the first flight next day back to MEL, ideally you could get the last QF flight SYD - MEL, but I would do the next day's one.

kiwifrequentflyer Oct 26, 18 3:48 pm

I would never consider routing through AKL for a flight to Australia unless I was forced to. Most of the time I fly Air NZ on that route as their timing is better and they don't even have J. The business class with Qantas is more than adequate and very friendly for what is a 3 hour flight.

I mean, keep in mind that you'd be flying *Jetstar* for a 1+ hour flight, and then have to walk from the domestic terminal to the international terminal and clear security... just to hop onto a fancy plane for 3 hours.

I agree that if you REALLY want to fly F then fly Emirates to Sydney and connect onto Melbourne in J. But, money consideration aside, I would still never ever do that by choice since it just adds extra unnecessary time and headache to what could be a really simple, easy J trip.