Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Searching award availability on QF12 from JFK-LAX only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I recently used AAdvantage miles to book an all-Qantas award ticket from JFK-LAX-BNE.
There was business class availability from LAX-BNE (QF16) but economy only from JFK-LAX (QF12). Thus, I'm eligible for a free business class upgrade on the first leg, should it ever become available.

The problem is that, because Qantas doesn't have fifth-freedom rights for JFK-LAX, it isn't possible to search award availability on that leg alone using the normal search engines (British Airways, Qantas).

Do you know of any hacks that will make this search possible?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Do you know of any hacks that will make this search possible?
ExpertFlyer is showing me award availability on QF12 JFK-LAX as a standalone query.

For example, on 3 July 2019 there are two business class award seats (and four premium economy award seats) on QF12 JFK-LAX.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm struggling to register for an ExpertFlyer account, but I'll keep trying!

Last edited by grlmopz; Oct 19, 2018 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grlmopz
.I recently used AAdvantage miles to book an all-Qantas award ticket from JFK-LAX-BNE.

There was business class availability from LAX-BNE (QF16) but economy only from JFK-LAX (QF12). Thus, I'm eligible for a free business class upgrade on the first leg, should it ever become available.
QF will not give you a free upgrade as AA will have paid for an economy flight. You need to deal with AA.

As this is about AA miles a question for the AA forum.

QF AA forum -->- AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I think you need to read the question again.

The OP's specific question was around how to search for award availability on a QF flight. If that doesn't belong here, I don't know what does...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF will not give you a free upgrade as AA will have paid for an economy flight. You need to deal with AA.

AA will, however, rebook the passenger into business class for no charge if U class becomes available - how to find business class award availability on Qantas does seem a valid question for this forum - how to get AA to make the change would indded be for the AA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.