Wiki Posts
Search

QF2 SIN Refuel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
QF2 SIN Refuel

I'm sure it's been covered endlessly but could someone give me the lowdown on the Singapore stoppover on QF2? I've done the DXB route a dozen times since the start of 2015 but just booking in for my first trip since they switched back to Singapore.

I'm QF Gold so will be utilising the lounge and I'm travelling in Y (I always sit in the front section for easy deplaning).

Is the lounge close to the gate used? How long from deplane to replane? Is there enough time for a shower in the lounge? Do you have to go through security when you get off the plane like in DXB?

I had my DXB routine down and it did involve legging it off the plane to the shower queue, it was a bit tight! Is the Singapore stoppover any better?

Also on the way back to London I'm coming from BNE and looking at a 6hr layover. Is it madness? Should I just bite the bullet and do the Perth route? I really enjoy my lounge time but I wonder if I'll regret a 6 hour stop on a 30+ hr journey. Only interested in flying on QF metal fyi.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Velocity
I'm not sure if the QF 2 consistently uses the same gate but I suspect it generally uses gate in same vicinity as the Qantas flights all seem to board from gates adjacent each other.

It's a bit of a hike to the lounge but certainly doable and would give you about 40 minutes lounge time so time for a quick shower if one is immediately available. However beware that the QF lounge is often overcrowded and you may have to wait for a shower. In my mind the better option is to head straight to the Emirates lounge which you are entitled to use as QF Gold, never been overly crowded when I have been there and showers generally immediately available. You also have option to use BA lounge which is next door the QF lounge.

At SIN security screening is done at each individual gate (i.e. when you go to reboard your flight) and you don't get screened when you deplane so this allows you to get to lounge quicker.

With regards your choice of returning via Perth or Brisbane, personally it would be a no brainier for me as the thought of 17 hours in economy on the 787 has me breaking out in a cold sweat. There is probably no better airport in the world than SIN to spend a six hour layover from a movie theatre, swimming pool, butter fly garden etc and with your QF Gold status you can do some lounge hopping between QF, EK and BA.
nancypants and shuuy like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kiwifruit, that's put my mind at rest somewhat. Hopefully we can get into the QF lounge in SIN but will be grateful for a shower anywhere at that point! Also incredibly happy that you don't have to go through security as soon as you get off the plane, my biggest frustration with the DXB stop!

I think you're right re the 787, the advantage of the BNE-SIN flight is that it's an A-330 so economy is a 2-4-2 config so travelling as a couple in a 2 row will be welcomed.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
From where the QF planes usually park at SIN (C-gates, Terminal 1), the EK lounge (open from 6 pm onwards) will be first one that you will walk pass (up the escalator next to gate C1).
Depending on what time QF 2 lands, I would second the suggestion that you head straight to the EK lounge if it is open.
On your way back with 6 hours, you can lounge hop between QF, BA and EK, and the other free public attractions at SIN airport.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by igel
Depending on what time QF 2 lands, I would second the suggestion that you head straight to the EK lounge if it is open..
I third that. Will be much easier to get a shower there than in the QF Lounge after QF2 arrives.

Also the connection will be tight, but it does take a certain amount of time to turn around an A380, so even if QF2 is late arriving from LHR, I would expect there be plenty of time to shower and eat in the lounge. Critical time is gate closing time (not gate opening time!), IIRC for Qantas is 20 mins before scheduled departure ... therefore best to be back at gate 30mins before scheduled time.

Last edited by lokijuh; Oct 5, 2018 at 3:56 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
The transit hostels have showers, that are not linked to staying at the hostels, if you don't get to any lounges.
Its (transit hostel showers) are pay per use, but if I remember correctly, you do get towels that they provide included in the fee.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifruit
In my mind the better option is to head straight to the Emirates lounge which you are entitled to use as QF Gold, never been overly crowded when I have been there and showers generally immediately available.
Trip is done now and just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the EK lounge at SIN on the QF2 stoppover, we headed directly there and it was empty, so we walked straight into a shower and still had time for a leisurely snack!

On the way back we arrived into SIN on QF51 at 5:55pm and found the QF lounge to be unpleasantly busy. We headed to the BA lounge which was quite and then back to the QF lounge at 8:00pm (on advice of the QF door staff) and found it to be very quiet with a lovely snack selection!

Would definitely repeat this routine in the future!
lokijuh and kaffir76 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:13 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was in the Singapore lounge from 3pm a few days back for a number of hours, could not believe the number of bare legs on tables, and speed at which seats of any ilk became precious, not to mention the number of bags that thought they needed seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.