No more hot towels in Biz?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
No more hot towels in Biz?

On my recent SFO-MEL flight, there was no hot towel service. And as reported by aztimm nor were there any towels on the same flight a couple of days later. Two data points only, but the trend suggests this may be more than a simple service fail or coincidence. It would be sad if yet another nice feature of Business is but a memory. Its not like the towels are top quality (as some other airlines use), just that they fulfill a valid use. Also, I noticed that the towels in the toilets have been replaced by paper towels. Another enhancement?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Maybe crew were just being lazy, not exactly unheard of on QF.

Originally Posted by og
Also, I noticed that the towels in the toilets have been replaced by paper towels. Another enhancement?
Aaah, but who designed the paper towels? Are they Marc Newson paper towels? If they are, surely designer paper towels are better than no-name designed cloth towels?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by lokijuh
who designed the paper towels? Are they Marc Newson paper towels? If they are, surely designer paper towels are better than no-name designed cloth towels?
Haha! Very good.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
By the way, I flew J on the 380 HKG-SYD on Sat night. Even in the F section, they only had paper towels -- I was most surprised.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by og
On my recent SFO-MEL flight, there was no hot towel service. And as reported by aztimm nor were there any towels on the same flight a couple of days later. Two data points only, but the trend suggests this may be more than a simple service fail or coincidence. It would be sad if yet another nice feature of Business is but a memory. Its not like the towels are top quality (as some other airlines use), just that they fulfill a valid use. Also, I noticed that the towels in the toilets have been replaced by paper towels. Another enhancement?
My husband said he saw the towels out in the galley when he was going to the lav, so they definitely had them. For some reason, they just decided not to distribute (and collect) them.
I probably wouldn't have really noticed except that I flew an AA domestic flight earlier on the same day where they did distribute hot towels.

I've only ever seen paper towels in any airplane toilets in biz on any airline I've flown. Even CX just had paper. I'll be on the lookout for real towels when I fly F on the 380 (SYD-DFW) in a few weeks.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: QF, EK
I flew SCL-SYD in J on 11 September and sadly there were no hot towels on this flight either.

Also, just paper towels in the bathrooms! It could have been a South American paper towel designer on this routing - I forgot to check
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I had paper towels in F SYD-DFW-SYD. Then again its only a premium business class on Qantas. NOT FIRST. Business class food, crap tiny lavs, unrefined service..waste of space after thought 'lounge'. Oh and a measly pencil case for an amenity kit thats worse than business class kits on other first rate carriers. The bedding is good though-THAT'S IT!

and the strawberry on the cake .........you'll pay a tidy 17K for the privilege !
levelnine likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Flew QF29 MEL-HKG in J today and we were given hot towels once only, not long before landing. A big contrast with SQ who just about drown you in the things!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by whughes3
Flew QF29 MEL-HKG in J today and we were given hot towels once only, not long before landing. A big contrast with SQ who just about drown you in the things!
Most carriers that I've flown that give 2 full meals will do towel service before each meal. I recently flew CX ORD-HKG-CMB. They did towels twice on the ORD-HKG leg but only once on the HKG-CMB leg. I can't remember how it is handled in biz for USA-Europe flights... but I do remember when I flew PE on BA last year I had towels at least once on every leg, possibly even twice.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Velocity
Flew QF35 yesterday MEL-SIN in F and we were offered hot towels twice during the flight. Pretty poor towels on offer though, they look and feel like flimsy rags compared with those offered by their competitors.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
I'm actually a fan of the paper towels being used in QF F right now. They do their job of drying hands etc much better than the flimsy cotton towels previously offered. I'd rather be provided with something that performs well than something that is superficially perceived to be "premium" but in fact is just annoying.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Flew QF10 LHR-PER J on the 29th, hot towels offered twice (at least - was sleeping quite some length of the way so may have missed an offering). Paper towels in lav though!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:11 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Chalkie
I'm actually a fan of the paper towels being used in QF F right now. They do their job of drying hands etc much better than the flimsy cotton towels previously offered. I'd rather be provided with something that performs well than something that is superficially perceived to be "premium" but in fact is just annoying.
The solution then would be to use cotton towels which actually dry your hands.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've only ever seen paper towels in any airplane toilets in biz on any airline I've flown. Even CX just had paper. I'll be on the lookout for real towels when I fly F on the 380 (SYD-DFW) in a few weeks.
CX used to have cloth towels in the J bathrooms. Then in around 2010 (approximately) they were removed as many people started flushing them down the toilet and blocking the plumbing. Well this is what was reported - not sure if it is the real reason.

The QF "hot" "towels" are quite dismal - cloth which has had water poured over them. CX and QR hot towels are proper steamed towels.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The solution then would be to use cotton towels which actually dry your hands.
Just like QF 'First' isn't first, the 'towels' used are more akin to cheap off-cut rags and frayed at the edges. They lint all over your clothes and are as flimsy as they come. So perhaps the paper towels are better relatively speaking. Yet another super simple amenity Qantas has stuffed up and cant get right.(or doesn't want to)
og and levelnine like this.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 4, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.