FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   OW website incorrect ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1931268-ow-website-incorrect.html)

surfergold Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm

OW website incorrect ?

I recently got my Gold FF and as expected it Includes Qantas Club Membership with entitlement to visit all Qantas lounges in Australia. While I remain Gold I have Qantas Cub Membership.
But in the OW website (in the uk) it says that there is no admittance to Domestic Qantas lounges for gold members. They appear to be wrong ?

og Sep 18, 2018 1:16 pm

QF Gold (OW Saphire) have access to QF domestic lounges prior to QF flights. The OW website as you describe would appear to be wrong. I’d ignore the OW website!

Clarifying after checking the OW web site (which I didn’t initially do) it does indeed appear correct.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...lyer-gold#tier

pandaperth Sep 18, 2018 1:25 pm

and my understanding is that OW Sapphires have access to the Qantas Clubs, but not to the Qantas (domestic) Business Lounges

And so the OW site is correct

Globaliser Sep 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 30218154)
and my understanding is that OW Sapphires have access to the Qantas Clubs, but not to the Qantas (domestic) Business Lounges

And so the OW site is correct

Exactly, AIUI.

The oneworld website says this:-

Access to Business Class and frequent flyer lounges (with one guest), regardless of the class of service flown that day (excludes Qantas Domestic Business Class lounges)
It's basically a nomenclature issue: I think that on the domestic side, Qantas' Business Lounges are for business class class passengers and oneworld Emeralds, but the Qantas Club is open to Qantas Club members and oneworld Sapphires.

The oneworld website is arguably more misleading when you put in another airline's Sapphire status, eg AA Platinum or BA Silver. It doesn't have the explicit exclusion of Qantas domestic Business Lounges. But there's a disclaimer, and in any event Qantas might claim that there's a difference between a Business Lounge (for Emeralds only) and a "business class lounge".

surfergold Sep 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30218350)
Exactly, AIUI.

The oneworld website says this:-It's basically a nomenclature issue: I think that on the domestic side, Qantas' Business Lounges are for business class class passengers and oneworld Emeralds, but the Qantas Club is open to Qantas Club members and oneworld Sapphires.

The oneworld website is arguably more misleading when you put in another airline's Sapphire status, eg AA Platinum or BA Silver. It doesn't have the explicit exclusion of Qantas domestic Business Lounges. But there's a disclaimer, and in any event Qantas might claim that there's a difference between a Business Lounge (for Emeralds only) and a "business class lounge".

Hi
I am surprised with this anomaly as I feel sure that the Qantas Club allows access to its domestic lounges.
To back this up I have received in app a flash to access the Qantas Club domestic lounges. They are calling it “Your new digital Frequent Flyer card”
I would prefer this in a physical form Qantas.
Perhaps one could be sent to me ?

Globaliser Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by surfergold (Post 30218516)
I am surprised with this anomaly as I feel sure that the Qantas Club allows access to its domestic lounges.

Qantas Club membership allows access to domestic Qantas Clubs; but it doesn't allow access to Qantas domestic Business Lounges and (I'm pretty sure) it never has.

sxc Sep 18, 2018 6:27 pm

You will have access to the qantas club but not the domestic business lounges. Note the two listings under the individual airports and the differing access rules:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...873ba3ff35.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...efc77b3a46.png

moa999 Sep 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Basically think of the Domestic Business Lounge as a highest tier product and lounge.

That section of the oneworld website is pretty bad.
eg. no exclusion from the Qantas Dom Biz lounge for BA Silver (Sapphire), and a US exclusion (thats wrong) for BA Gold (Emerald)

surfergold Sep 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 30219837)
Basically think of the Domestic Business Lounge as a highest tier product and lounge.

That section of the oneworld website is pretty bad.
eg. no exclusion from the Qantas Dom Biz lounge for BA Silver (Sapphire), and a US exclusion (thats wrong) for BA Gold (Emerald)

I have had great experiences flying Qantas domestic flights probably helped by being a tourist as I have gained access to the international business lounges when they have been quite due to great door staff waving me in, very memerable experience. And I know my ticket did not include this service.
The new knowledge gained by my post is not great and would appear to take the shine of my gold FF (estimated at around £5000.00 spend).
Perhaps once again I am left hoping for good will from the door staff for entry to the business lounge.
This is disappointing.

Dave Noble Sep 19, 2018 1:21 am

The $5000 was for the flights surely?

The Gold membership allows access to the Qantas Clubs, just not the few business lounges - shouldn't be taking any more of a shine off than that it doesn't allow for access to 1st class lounges

There is no airport where there is a business lounge but no Qantas Club

There isn't a huge difference between the lounges - Unless you are travelling in business class, any attempt to access with just a Gold Membership is going to be met with a refusal

It does afford access, when travelling on an eligible flight, to the international business class lounges

Globaliser Sep 19, 2018 2:14 am

Originally Posted by surfergold (Post 30219908)
I have had great experiences flying Qantas domestic flights probably helped by being a tourist as I have gained access to the international business lounges when they have been quite due to great door staff waving me in, very memerable experience. And I know my ticket did not include this service.

I have bolded the word in this sentence that makes all the difference. Your past experience of access to international business class lounges cannot be extrapolated to domestic travel on QF.

Yes, with QF Gold or OW Sapphire you will get access to QF's international business class lounges.

But QF Gold or OW Sapphire does not get you access to QF's domestic Business Lounges, only to the domestic Qantas Club.

The new knowledge gained by my post is not great and would appear to take the shine of my gold FF (estimated at around £5000.00 spend).
Perhaps once again I am left hoping for good will from the door staff for entry to the business lounge.

This has not taken the shine off anything. Your QF Gold is as still as shiny as when you earned it; you will still get all of the access to which it ever entitled you.

And considering that you will still have access to a perfectly good domestic lounge, why are you hoping for goodwill to get into another lounge which you have never been entitled to access? Why do you so badly crave access to one domestic lounge rather than the other?

LTN Phobia Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am

This is disappointing.

I think there may be some confusions here.

International Terminals do not have a Qantas Club lounge. International Terminals only have Qantas Business lounge and Qantas First lounge. Oneworld Sapphire (including Qantas Gold) and above has access to International Qantas Business lounges.

There are two lounges at some domestic terminals, domestic Qantas Club lounge, and domestic Qantas Business lounges. Some airports only have a Qantas Club lounge. In those cases, Oneworld Sapphire members (including Qantas Gold members) are allowed into Qantas Club lounges. Domestic Qantas Business lounges are reserved for business class passengers and Oneworld Emerald (including Qantas Platinum).

Just to explain the history behind this. Qantas did not use to even give domestic lounge access to domestic business class passengers and you had to buy a Qantas Club membership to access Qantas Club lounges. Some time ago, they reviewed this (IMO, so they should, considering the rather high lowest domestic business class pricing), and built Qantas Business lounges at some airports, and allowed business class customers and Oneworld Emerald members in (they also have access to Qantas Club lounges). That is the history behind what appears to be strange product differentiation behind "Qantas Club" and "Qantas Business" lounges in some domestic terminals. Qantas Club is a paid-for lounge membership scheme, to put it simply.

You still have access to domestic Qantas Club lounges as a Qantas Gold, which are perfectly adequate in my opinion. Some of the time I can't be bothered taking 100 extra steps to walk to Qantas Business lounge and stay at Qantas Club lounge.