Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

qantas to fly BNE/ORD/BNE nonstop in JV with AA approved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

https://latteluxurynews.com/2018/09/...-destinations/

WOuld have thought BNE/SFO/BNE would happen 1st.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The proposed AA 0600 dep from SYD would be a challenge. The only real winner being the SYD Airport hotels.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
The proposed AA 0600 dep from SYD would be a challenge. The only real winner being the SYD Airport hotels.
I think the timings mentioned are all PST(west coast USA time), not AEST (BNE time) or AEDT(SYD time)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I reckon it is a vapourware flight and just being bandied around as an attempt to get the anti competitive proposed JV approved
Reds2011 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by southpac
I think the timings mentioned are all PST(west coast USA time), not AEST (BNE time) or AEDT(SYD time)
Yep. It’s actually 0510 PST which is 2210 AEST during our winter, or 0010 AEDT during our summer. They’d have to retime the summer flights because of Sydney curfew.

But this is a similar time to QF95 out of Melbourne and would be quite popular, allowing people to depart after a full day at work and arriving at night, which is much better for jet lag.

Much better than having the QF and AA metal planes flying at the same time.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I reckon it is a vapourware flight and just being bandied around as an attempt to get the anti competitive proposed JV approved
Probably Qantarse must be one of the dodgiest airlines around. How many other airlines charge a nearly $300 fuel surcharge on a SYD/LAX/SYD frequent flyer ticket. Virgin, a much better airline don't.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:45 pm

Probably Qantarse must be one of the dodgiest airlines around. How many other airlines charge a nearly $300 fuel surcharge on a SYD/LAX/SYD frequent flyer ticket. Virgin, a much better airline don't.

There are other airlines that apply surcharges - there won't be many for SYD-LAX due to not many airlines plying that route

With its dalliance with Emirates, it has led to Emirates taking on the idea and taking it further with Ł327.00 (AUD 594) for just LHR-DXB
BA charges US$503.00 (AUD710) for JFK-LHR

SYD-LAX is 7,488 miles vs 3452 miles for JFK-LHR and 3421 miles for LHR-DXB

This is where picking schemes such as UA's and AA's are good with the lack of surcharges - plus with UA, a lot more airline options to redeem on
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There are other airlines that apply surcharges - there won't be many for SYD-LAX due to not many airlines plying that route

With its dalliance with Emirates, it has led to Emirates taking on the idea and taking it further with Ł327.00 (AUD 594) for just LHR-DXB
BA charges US$503.00 (AUD710) for JFK-LHR

SYD-LAX is 7,488 miles vs 3452 miles for JFK-LHR and 3421 miles for LHR-DXB

This is where picking schemes such as UA's and AA's are good with the lack of surcharges - plus with UA, a lot more airline options to redeem on
SYD/LAX nonstops QF, VA, DL, AA, UA. (2 Australian & 3 USA airlines) Directs FJ, NZ. Plenty of competition. Know that AA, DL, VA, FJ & NZ don't charge any fuel surcharges.Not sure about UA.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:32 pm

DL charges surcharges in some markets
I may be wrong about how NZ worked, but I thought that its scheme worked on a dollar value for redemptions, so would be irrelevant
AA charges surcharges on BA flights

There are plenty of schemes where surcharges are applied globally where regulations do not prohobit it

Just looking at one route is a but limiting on comparisons

I do think that QF is one of the worst schemes with very high redemption rates and surcharges too

$300 r.t SYD-LAX is a lot better than the rates charged by some other carriers on shorter routes. Comparing $1420 for 6902 miles on BA JFK-LHR r/t , $300 for 14,976 miles , the $300 looks not too bad
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

DL charges surcharges in some markets
I may be wrong about how NZ worked, but I thought that its scheme worked on a dollar value for redemptions, so would be irrelevant
AA charges surcharges on BA flights

There are plenty of schemes where surcharges are applied globally where regulations do not prohobit it

Just looking at one route is a but limiting on comparisons

I do think that QF is one of the worst schemes with very high redemption rates and surcharges too

$300 r.t SYD-LAX is a lot better than the rates charged by some other carriers on shorter routes. Comparing $1420 for 6902 miles on BA JFK-LHR r/t , $300 for 14,976 miles , the $300 looks not too bad
QF SYD/LAX/SYD min 90k ff pts + close to $500 fuel charge & govt charges, when at same time in low season when you can get classic awards, fares on better airlines from $800 all inclusive.

VA SYD/LAX/SYD around same number of ff pts + around $200 only & most would rather fly VA than poor old QF. But QF do spend a small fortune on marketing.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: QF
QF SYD/LAX/SYD min 90k ff pts + close to $500 fuel charge & govt charges, when at same time in low season when you can get classic awards, fares on better airlines from $800 all inclusive.

VA SYD/LAX/SYD around same number of ff pts + around $200 only & most would rather fly VA than poor old QF. But QF do spend a small fortune on marketing.
There's many options using QF points without spending a fortune on taxes, fees & charges you just have to be smart about it. You're better off focusing on options that offer low taxes rather than moaning about ones with high taxes.

We flew HKG/YVR on CX in J for 92K points plus AUD58.00 taxes. LAX AA HKG QF BNE 128K points taxes AUD76.00

You can always credit flights to BA, AA or AS instead of QF - noboby's holding a gun to your head.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Which is great for those that want to start awards in Hong Kong

Inded - no one is pointing a gun and as such, I do credt travel to other schemes depending on airline chosen

That there are some places (such as Kong Kong) where Qantas is not legally allowed to charge excessive surcharges, does not imo justify it doing it elsewhere

Even BA has to suffer not being able to do its excessive scam surcharges on journeys out of Hong Kong to London
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
There's many options using QF points without spending a fortune on taxes, fees & charges you just have to be smart about it. You're better off focusing on options that offer low taxes rather than moaning about ones with high taxes.

We flew HKG/YVR on CX in J for 92K points plus AUD58.00 taxes. LAX AA HKG QF BNE 128K points taxes AUD76.00

You can always credit flights to BA, AA or AS instead of QF - noboby's holding a gun to your head.
BA & AS don't fly OZ/USA nonstop !!!!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
<snip>
So what?
You can credit an eligible QF flight to a range of frequent flyer partners.
And those ffp can get awards on QF and their other ff partners
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF
I have met plenty of FTers who have used AS miles (either by accruing miles or purchasing them) to fly QF USA/OZ vv in F & J with very low taxes. It's a common misconception that you need to fly with the home carrier of the airline who your points are with.

Two of the best value award tickets I've travelled on have been on the partner airlines of US & AV where I hadn't ever flown with those airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.