Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas flight attendant calls woman Miss instead of Dr. (PhD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas flight attendant calls woman Miss instead of Dr. (PhD)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The member of staff shouldn't be using the christian name anyway, so no reason to "take a punt"

If using the name it should be <title> <surname>

Where do you get the should from?

If that is indeed QF customer service training and being misapplied then fair enough. Can you validate such?

Otherwise, some may favour the formality of a title and others rather a simple christian name (I happen to be in the latter camp).

FWIW I just looked at a couple of boarding passes from some recent QF flights: on one, Ms Platy title was printed and on the other it was not.

And the question remains of why the passenger refers to a ticket rather than a boarding pass.

Those with a attachment to their title might be better off on VA rather than QF since the booking system accommodates twice as many options!

Neither QF nor VA booking system would enable a government minister or the PM to enjoy the correct salutation ("Minister" or "PM") with the risk of great offence to their right honorablenesses. Similarly a priest would be left potentially verbally defrocked at having no opportunity to add a father or padre! A Lord would have to slob it in titular homogeneity with lessor folk on both airlines.

Now a cobber with a knighthood would be in a very difficult position - the title "sir" can be added to a VA booking but not one on QF, but even once added then the surname doesn't; apply - rather the christian name. Ooops!

And if travelling on AA the original passenger would be right up the creek since the AA booking system doesn't appear to include the option of the DR salutation at all.

For that matter, the QF FF system doesn't seem to enable a self serve change in title, so a good thing I never finished my own PhD to find that I was forever cast as plain old Mr with the airline therefore discriminating against my superior academic status.

IMHO...just call me by my christian name - the implied lesser class and lower status of crew is implicitly demeaning and having to use a title and surname while serving you when their own titles aren't even included on their name badges is oh so upper class Tory twit nonsense...

FWIW I tend to enjoy flights more if there is a relaxed (yet professional) approach from the cabin crew (often far more important than the hard and soft product when the airline products are so similar these days - the crew have the capacity to make the flight): over formality is tiresome. But hey, others may prefer that - that's fine...but it is essentially a derivative of status and / or ego!
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Platy; Sep 7, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
The real problem is that no neutral form of address exists for women the way it does for men. ".
Not true. As indeed you observe there is the option of "Ms". Whether folk decide to use or not or construe some implied construct therein, the title nonetheless exists.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
It could be sexism, but it's a bit daft of her to assume that a man would be treated differently. My experience is that when I've booked as Dr it is seldom reflected in what the cabin crew call me. Doesn't bother me, I am more interested in a regular refill of my drink than whether they note my academic qualifications.

As for the "real" doctor debate, my experience is that Qantas request "medical practitioners" in an emergency, presumably because of the ambiguity of the term "doctor".
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Being a Dr myself, I don't have to call another Dr. 'Dr. XYZ how are you' etc (when I am Germany).

The problem is - I really don't care if someone calls me Dr. or not (I don't have it even in my corporate email).

And I live in the UK anyway

Austria is very serious on these titles though - like the call many who hold a Master 'Herr Magister xyz....'
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:29 am
Suspended

That's it. I am not a Dr but I will put Dr in my reservation from now on just for fun. And pretty soon, you will have a plane full of Dr.
deeruck and Platy like this.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 8, 2018 at 2:48 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Meanwhile, onboard QF8: "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a medical emergency. Do we have any doctors on board?".

Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Meanwhile, onboard QF8: "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a medical emergency. Do we have any doctors on board?".
At this point, everyone is wide awake and expecting a diversion to (somewhere). It seems rare that the crew announce something like “everything is now OK and we are proceeding as planned.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:20 am
Suspended

So, how should a FA adress a Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c Name Commandeur de L’ Ordre des Art et des Lettres? @:-)
Most don’t even use their titles on professional / scientific publications as it should be clear you have obtained your degrees at some point.

looking at her website...
She’s holding Psychology degree and probably should have herself checked by a colleague for being a bit meshuggeneh...
love it when people write in 3rd Person about themselves and being exaggerated about their private activities lol

Last edited by SwissCircle; Sep 9, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Should be addressed by whatever is in the booking
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:59 am
Suspended

My post was meant ironically
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Platy
Not true. As indeed you observe there is the option of "Ms". Whether folk decide to use or not or construe some implied construct therein, the title nonetheless exists.
Unfortunately, "Ms." is connotatively non-neutral even though it is denotatively neutral.

And when was the last time you saw the option of using "Ms." on any airline's interface anywhere in the world?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:36 am

Yes, but only if that is QF mandated training and work instruction. You have yet to provide any evidence of such - only self appointed presumption (as ever the case on so many threads even when you are called out for being plain wrong with never an acknowledgement or apology when shown to be in error), yet still trot out the same unsubstantiated position.

In the meantime, the only rational position on the topic on hand is disbelieving humour - however expressed (absurdity, sarcasm, irony, etc).

Wake up Donnie...(reference to Donnie Darko)...there's a parallel universe you completely missed....cue INXS track...cue ineffectual adjudication...

...(meanwhile on a tennis court in NY)...

PS...a clue...most titles can't even be entered into the booking system...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
All too difficult. I think QF flight attendants should just revert to 80s era Darl and Hun for all females.

/S
serfty, Platy and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
And when was the last time you saw the option of using "Ms." on any airline's interface anywhere in the world?
Just used it many times across many actual bookings (c.10) in the last few weeks for my fiancé now wife on our wedding / honeymoon trip... bookings through QF/EK, VA/HX , HM, VA, BA, SQ...etc, etc

...enough?!

...just looked through a pile of actual boarding passes and MS appears on:

VA
SQ
BA
EK
QF

Titles also appear on HM (for me) just that she has a two word surname which takes up the real estate so I can't verify on her tear off stub for our jaunty Twin Otter rides to Praslin and back.

For HX it doesn't appear on the boarding pass but the booking system does have a MS option in the title field.

Can't say what appears on the manifest that the crew might use, however...(the question of why the original passenger with the complaint refers to a ticket not boarding pass still not addressed or apparently worthy of comment by anyone herein).

So...seriously...ya what?!

Whatever your personal perceptions the definition of MS is absolute.

(Some folk will always find a negative or pejorative spin...welcome to the era fake news and bullying by the vocal minority and best paid lobbyists...).
eminere likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by moa999
All too difficult. I think QF flight attendants should just revert to 80s era Darl and Hun for all females.
On a recent BA domestic South African flight, the senior FA (or whatever you call him) addressed everyone as “Friend” - nomatter whether on the PA or or face to face.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.