Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas flight attendant calls woman Miss instead of Dr. (PhD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

A "Dr" is upset because she was referred to as "Miss" on a Qantas flight. I think most PhD's have inflated egos but would a male PhD be called Dr or Mr.? Does she have a point?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zitsky
A "Dr" is upset because she was referred to as "Miss" on a Qantas flight. I think most PhD's have inflated egos but would a male PhD be called Dr or Mr.? Does she have a point?
If a passenger makes a booking and uses the honorific of Dr when making the booking, that person has a reasonable expectation that will be referred to so as such

Is the person's rant actually serious, it looks like the person was reusing the quote from one of the Austin power movies
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If a passenger makes a booking and uses the honorific of Dr when making the booking, that person has a reasonable expectation that will be referred to so as such

Is the person's rant actually serious, it looks like the person was reusing the quote from one of the Austin power movies
Just because someone uses a title in booking doesn't mean that all the airline staff that interact with that passenger must use said title!

Coverage in the media seems to indicate the woman was serious and attempting to make a point about gender equality...

...if the passenger next to her was male and had an honorific title that was used by the cabin crew, she might have a point...

...problem is, her claim assumes that the crew member was being wantonly sexist...

...hopefully there are more important things to worry about in such situations, such as whether the crew member is fit and competent to effect an evacuation or respond to some other safety or emergency situation...

...one also hopes that the passenger had spent years of study for a better purpose than stroking her ego by insisting folk around her use the title of "Dr".

...your academic qualifications are hardly relevant in the context of air travel, now are they (unless you have medical expertise to share during an in flight medical event)?!

...oh the perils of status anxiety in the modern world...

FWIW I much prefer that people use my christian name - and many crew do just that after a courtesy "do you ind if I call you Platy" - maybe I travel too much on VA!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:24 pm

If this was just a twit sending out something on twitter to people she knows, I am more inclined to think she was just copying
and it just started getting sent further by other twits on twitter

If someone had a genuine complaint, I would suspect that they would try and address it directly in the 1st instance

I somehow don't think that this is entirely a serious complaint but a joke that went out of hand
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Oh, she is quite serious. I have a master's degree (MBA) so I want to be called Master (or Emperor) from now on. How well do you think that will work?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

The other academic quoted doesn't seem to notice the irony of her calling a Flight Attendant a "Trolley Dolly" WHILE insisting SHE be addressed correctly..... Bet she's fun at parties....Gawd.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Oh, she is quite serious. I have a master's degree (MBA) so I want to be called Master (or Emperor) from now on. How well do you think that will work?
If you are under 18, then no problems

Originally Posted by trooper
The other academic quoted doesn't seem to notice the irony of her calling a Flight Attendant a "Trolley Dolly" WHILE insisting SHE be addressed correctly..... Bet she's fun at parties....Gawd.
Did she address the person as trolley dolly or just refer to it in the twit message
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by trooper
I wonder if the first Dr called her out for her hypocrisy? The irony of the terminology used isn't lost on me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Who remembers the movie Spies Like Us?

"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Doctor."
"Doctor?"
"Aaaaaand Doctor."

NoY, windscar and fotographer like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There was a funny thread on the BA board a few years back. I must find it...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suppose there has to have been one once
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Sounds like a well balanced individual with a chip on both shoulders.
NoY, ozflygirl747, eminere and 2 others like this.

Last edited by og; Sep 7, 2018 at 12:48 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Who remembers the movie Spies Like Us?

"Doctor?"
"Doctor."

My brain hurts.....

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I suppose there has to have been one once
The BA board is very witty, but doesn't suffer fools lightly.

Anyway, you may find this amusing:

I didn't spend 6 years in Evil Medical School to be called *Mr* Evil.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:44 am

The thing with PhD Docs is that they get enough of you're not a real doctor anyways. When there is a request for doctor, you know the PhD have to keep schtum. This creates a chip on their shoulder after hearing about it day in day out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.