Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Qantas flight delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Compensation for Qantas flight delay

I was booked on a flight from Adelaide to Sydney with a connection in Sydney to Jakarta. After check in (at 8.30 am) and near boarding time, they announced a 30 minute delay, then 60 minutes, eventually 2.5 hours meaning that it was not possible to make the connection in Sydney to Jakarta.

They offered a flight with Malaysia to KL leaving at 11 pm then a 6 am flight to Jakarta the following day. I requested an upgrade which they declined.

They then offered a flight the next day from Sydney to Singapore, then Jakarta which we accepted. That flight was cancelled later the same day and we were rerouted Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta arriving about 30 hours after our scheduled arrival. I work in Jakarta so I lost a days leave.

Can anyone tell me what my entitlements might be.

I paid for hotel, meals, taxi fares in Sydney. Are there standard rates for meals etc (I have lost a couple of receipts)?

Can anyone tell me how I claim economic loss for the days lost leave? Qantas have asked for a letter from the paymaster. My daily rate is quite large and I don’t expect full compensation for economic loss, but some acknowledgement at the standard entitlement would actually be good.

Hope someone one can help.

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jakarta Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Jakarta
I was booked on a flight from Adelaide to Sydney with a connection in Sydney to Jakarta. After check in (at 8.30 am) and near boarding time, they announced a 30 minute delay, then 60 minutes, eventually 2.5 hours meaning that it was not possible to make the connection in Sydney to Jakarta.

They offered a flight with Malaysia to KL leaving at 11 pm then a 6 am flight to Jakarta the following day. I requested an upgrade which they declined.

They then offered a flight the next day from Sydney to Singapore, then Jakarta which we accepted. That flight was cancelled later the same day and we were rerouted Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta arriving about 30 hours after our scheduled arrival. I work in Jakarta so I lost a days leave.

Can anyone tell me what my entitlements might be.

I paid for hotel, meals, taxi fares in Sydney. Are there standard rates for meals etc (I have lost a couple of receipts)?

Can anyone tell me how I claim economic loss for the days lost leave? Qantas have asked for a letter from the paymaster. My daily rate is quite large and I don’t expect full compensation for economic loss, but some acknowledgement at the standard entitlement would actually be good.

Hope someone one can help.
A tough long trip to get back to Jakarta.

You entitlements are not much. They should reimburse you for out of pocket actual/reasonable expenses:- taxis, hotels, meals etc.
Unlike in EU (EC261/2004) no statutory payment for delays from Australia.

Airlines do not normally pay consequential losses, like loss of a days pay.
From your statement that "Qantas have asked for a letter from the paymaster" seems you are in discussion with QF about this trip.

Did you have travel insurance either a separate policy or insurance via a credit card (if a cc was used to pay)?
Some credit cards have insurance and others do not.

Good luck with QF.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Dealing with Qantas is always a challenge!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry to hear about the problems encountered, but I'm puzzled: why did you decline the first flights offerred via KUL? Seems that you would have arrived Jakarta much earlier than what you actually ended up with. You declined because QF wouldn't upgrade you for the Malaysia Airlines flights? (IMO an unreasonable request with no chance of getting honored anyway).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Partly because of the safety concerns. The reality is that I would have had to have found accommodation in Adelaide until 11 pm, Qantas did not make any offer in that regard. I would have possibly accepted an upgrade, but I still would have missed a days work anyway because I would have travelled overnight with little sleep and could not have been expected to put in a good days work under those circumstances. I thought it better to go to Sydney and get a decent sleep and arrive ready for work on Friday.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Jakarta.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the QF forum.

~beckoa​​​​​​, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Noted. But to be frank with you these considerations doesn't really explain/justify that apparently you turned down a much quicker itinerary with MH that would have gotten you into Jakarta for at least a half days of work. I can't see your compensation claim for a days leave getting anywhere (and rightfully, it shouldn't IMO, sorry).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the reason for the cancellation, QF may reimburse for reasonable meals from the time of the cancellation until the scheduled time of departure of the MH routing which OP declined. Even if not obligated to do so, QF might throw something OP's way as a gesture.

Anything else is OP's responsibility because he turned down a reroute. He may try submitting to insurance, but if the fact that QF offered an alternative comes to light, hard to imagine any insurance paying up. Some have flat reimbursement rates based on number of hours delay and the delay from original cancellation to MH departure might qualify for something.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see that you would be due anything other than reimbursement of items such as meals

You were given a perfectly reasonable option which would have incurred no fees by taking Malaysia Airlines that evening. Hotel expenses were not at all necessary

Airlines are not liable for consequential losses - and there was no need to lose anything if having taken the most logical option offered.
wrp96, Often1 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

The outcome would have been the same - I still would have lost a days work. Arriving in KL at 6 am, transfer to a flight to Jakarta, 3 hours to Jakarta, an hour in the arrival hall, 2 hours in a taxi to my apartment- shower and change clothes, travel to the office - the earliest I could get there would have been 2 pm - assuming all went well! I still would have lost a days pay!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see that you would be due anything other than reimbursement of items such as meals

You were given a perfectly reasonable option which would have incurred no fees by taking Malaysia Airlines that evening. Hotel expenses were not at all necessary

Airlines are not liable for consequential losses - and there was no need to lose anything if having taken the most logical option offered.

So in Adelaide, I should have been expected to sit on my bags from 8 am until the 11 pm flight? I had already checked out of my accommodation!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So in Adelaide, I should have been expected to sit on my bags from 8 am until the 11 pm flight? I had already checked out of my accommodation!
or put them in lockers

The outcome would have been the same - I still would have lost a days work. Arriving in KL at 6 am, transfer to a flight to Jakarta, 3 hours to Jakarta, an hour in the arrival hall, 2 hours in a taxi to my apartment- shower and change clothes, travel to the office - the earliest I could get there would have been 2 pm - assuming all went well! I still would have lost a days pay!
Arriving at 06:00, you would be able to take the 07:30 service arriving into Jakata which arrives at 08:30 . Adding 2 hours on, would be at work at 10:30

If you have lounge access then could however change and shower in KUL before the short hop to JKT and then head straight to the office and be there even earlier
Often1 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 2, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delay is not measured by where you are finally going that day.
Just when the aircraft landed at Jakarta.

For a departure of 23:00 no accommodation was needed. Just to be at airport at ~21:00 for checking in.
You could have had dinner somewhere & headed to airport.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Also worth reading Qantas's conditions of carriage, particularly 5.2 and 9.1 - which is fairly similar for all airlines.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/book-a-...-carriage.html

Safety always overrides schedule.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is not what OP does with a day twiddling his thumbs, but what QF must cover. If OP chooses, he may sit on his bags or may book a suite at a luxury hotel for the day. QF has no obligation to pay for it.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.